Small for their ages......

Old September 14th 03, 02:06 AM
Julie Seely

Default Small for their ages......

KimandJuan wrote:

If I plot Molly's growth at 14 months old and at 19 lb. she appears to be in
the 14th percentile. So for her adjusted age of 14 months 86 percent of girls
in America her age weigh more than she does. I would just say that she is
petite, like her mommy.

Kim -

Since the babies were 5 *weeks* premature, you would adjust to 18
months, not 14 months.

Julie
Old September 14th 03, 02:31 AM
Julie Seely

Tanya --

My kids were similar to yours. Chris and Erica were born at 34w5d.
Chris weighed 5-7, Erica weighed 4-13. At one year (not adjusted) they
were 18-6 and 15-11. At 18 months they were 21-14 and 19-3. They are
now six years old, and still small for their age -- Erica is a bit shy
of 44" and 37 pounds; Chris is about 45" and 39 pounds. This puts Erica
in approximately the 10th percentile for weight, and 25th for height.
She is the shortest in her class, which does bother her a bit, but with
a July birthday, she and Chris are also among the youngest, so that's
not surprising.

With the current prevalence of health problems caused by excess weight,
I'm happy for them that they are not struggling with that. They weigh
less COMBINED than a couple of their classmates. I can still pick them
both up at the same time, which I would probably not be able to do if
they were big for their age.

Julie
Mom to Erica & Chris, 07/97

Tanya Makins wrote:

Hello,

Does anyone know at what sort of ages twins look as big as other
babies/toddlers their own age?

Charley and Molly are now 19 months old, they were 5 weeks premature
weighing in at Charley 5lb 2oz and Molly 4lb 7oz. They are very healthy
babies but Molly is still only just over 19lbs and Charley about 20.5 lbs.
When I see other babies at school it amazes me, they can be only half their
age and twice as big!!!
Personally, I think its sweet, they're babies for a lot longer, but does it
cause a problem if they're still really small when they start nursery.....
you know how kids can be!!

Just another paranoia, I think we worry far too much about them as long as
they're healthy who cares!! I'm only 5ft tall and I've never had any
problems

Tanya

Old September 14th 03, 02:53 AM
KimandJuan

DUh! Sorry, I can't believe I did that. Glad you caught it. I will have to
look at it again when I have a chance.

~Kimberly
Mommy to Alexis Iliana 07/17/99 and
Emma Elidia & Aislyn Gabriela 10/01/02
come see us...
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aislynemma/

Old September 15th 03, 10:38 AM
Tanya Makins

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to say a big thanks to everyones responses, I think that yes,
they are small for their age, even their corrected age, but they are slowly
growing and their energy levels are amazing they look healthy so I'm not
going to worry too much about the graphs - I'll just go on instincts!!!
Thanks again everybody,

Tanya
(Charley & Molly 18.2.02)