Do you let your kid get the flu shot?

Old September 7th 07, 05:40 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Default Do you let your kid get the flu shot?

Banty wrote:
In article , Ericka Kammerer
says...
Banty wrote:
In article , Ericka Kammerer
says...
Chookie wrote:

I'm guessing it's not that important for children.
In the US, children aged 6 months to 59 months
are considered a high risk group that should be vaccinated
for flu (along with others in their household). That age
group is more likely to spread the disease and more likely
to suffer serious complications from it.
Quick quick - *everyone* - what is 59 divided by 12?? Come on, come on, it
should be right at your, um, fingertips...

An estimation technique using a memorized times table brings this answer right
to mind

;-) What I don't get is why this degree of precision?
I find it unlikely that one month makes a huge difference in
likelihood of complications or transmission to folks in high
risk categories. I guess it must be that it becomes important
when there are shortages and they have to make decisions about
who's allowed to get the vaccine.

I took it as someone being stuck in toddler-age mode. "He's eighteen months
old", etc.

No, it was from an official site (forget which one--maybe
CDC) phrased that way.

Or they felt that they had to be consistent with the time units needing to
refere to "six months". (There, I can understand the precision.)

I could see that too.

But, yeah, it's dumb, and the first thing that popped in my mind was 'gosh gotta
divide by 12 to understand this...'

That's what I hate about the "my kid is 31 months old" thing.
I figure past 18 months, ya gotta move on to years ;-) I really
think this was about trying to be very clear that they're talking
about "up to, but not including, 5 years old." Still, it comes
across a bit weird.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old September 9th 07, 12:19 PM posted to misc.kids
Chookie

In article om,
Akuvikate wrote:

On Sep 7, 3:00 am, Chookie wrote:

I'm guessing it's not that important for children. We have a set of
vaccines here that are given free to children, and the flu vaccine is not
on that list.

Actually, the risk of complications from the flu is as high (perhaps
higher?) in young children as it is among elderly people. This is
based on US data that came out in the last few years and was quite a
surprise to the researchers. Also as someone pointed out, kids are
germ vectors and so one of the best ways to reduce the disease burden
in a population is to immunize the kids. The US recommendations only
changed in the last 5 years. Perhaps if Australia hasn't changed the
recommendations it's because they're studying whether the morbidity
and mortality rates are true there as well -- I suspect a lot of it
has to do with the prevalence of asthma in the population, as
asthmatics are often the ones who get real sick.

You are quite possibly right. Australia has a very high rate of asthma, so
perhaps someone is doing research on local flu strains etc. I know that the
over-60s are strongly encouraged to be vaccinated (I believe it's cheap, but
not free) but not the kids.

Another thought: they might be trying to work out how to bundle a few more
vaccines together.

Kate, ignorant foot soldier of the medical cartel
and the Bug, 4 years old
and a little something else due 4/11/08

Congratulations -- I hadn't noticed this note before! How are you travelling?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old September 9th 07, 07:54 PM posted to misc.kids
(David P.)

Chookie wrote:

I know that the over-60s are strongly encouraged
to be vaccinated, but not the kids.

It would be more equitable having each individual fight
the flu on his own, rather than waste resources having
armies fight each other over resources. By stopping
the suppression of influenza, everyone could be on
the front lines, instead of just a few good men.
..
..

Old September 11th 07, 09:41 PM posted to misc.kids
(David P.)

Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward wrote:

Where I live (US) it's pretty commonplace for people
to get the flu shot, and not just those in the high risk
populations. My company, for one, offers it free every
year, because they know it can save them sick days.

http://www.youtube.com/contest/FluFlix
..
..

Old January 6th 08, 04:04 AM posted to misc.kids
Nikki

"Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward" wrote in message
oups.com...
I took the flu shot this past season, and today I'm the only one in
the household not down with a bad cold. Not sure if it's related, but
it would make sense to try to protect the kids next time around. I
can't find info on why this might NOT be a good idea, so if anyone can
point me to some I'd appreciate it. I'd like to learn both sides of
the matter first. My kids are now six months and 19 months old.

As others have said I don't think the flu shot and cold are related.

I get a flu shot every year through work and I have my kids get them if
there is enough.
They didn't the year that there was a shortage because they did not fall
into the high risk category
and neither did any other family member.

--

Nikki, mama to 4 boys

Flu Shot Shelley Pregnancy 1 September 20th 04 05:43 PM
flu shot Kelly Whitaker Breastfeeding 2 December 12th 03 05:02 PM
flu shot and bf All4meUC Breastfeeding 1 November 29th 03 02:56 PM
Flu shot Kender Twins & Triplets 0 November 14th 03 04:39 AM
Flu shot April Pregnancy 36 October 12th 03 04:34 AM