Rotateq?

Old February 27th 09, 07:24 PM posted to misc.kids
Kat

Default Rotateq?

I took DD3 on Wednesday for her 2 week checkup with the ped. All is fine
and no concerns, but the ped mentioned this "Rotateq", and to my
understanding it's a vaccine or immunization or something for this
rotavirus. I'm not even 100% sure on what rotavirus is, really, other than
it can cause fever, diarrhea, etc.
I've had the same pediatrician from day 1 with DS and he's all the kids'
ped. I absolutely love him. I do think he's fantastic and have never had
any problems with him, nor have I ever heard anything bad about him from
others. He's great with the kids, he's great with answering questions and
giving info and all that, but he said there's this vaccine that they are now
recommending for infants. This was not around, to my knowledge, with the
other kids. The ped said that the Canadian Pediatric Society is
recommending this vaccine, which is given orally, IIRC, at 2, 4 and 6
months. I have the perscription for DD3 for this Rotateq and he said if I
wanted, fill the perscription and bring it with me to her 2 month
appointment and he will give it to her at that point.
Does anyone know anything about this? Or this rotavirus, for that matter?
I don't know how new this Rotateq stuff is, but I do trust my pediatrician,
and I'm thinking if the Canadian Pediatric Society is recommending this, it
must be something that can be of benefit.
Has anyone had this kind of a perscription for the baby? All the kids are
up to date with their vaccines and I am one that is quite *for* getting the
kids vaccinated.

Old February 28th 09, 06:08 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"Kat" wrote in message
[...]

I've never heard of a vaccine for rotovirus. I'm certain it's not available
in UK for children.
I don't know whether I'd have it or not, but if you trust him and he's
recommending it, then I'd probably have it done.
#3 (20 months) has just had what's probably an episode of rotovirus. (not
certain, it could have been an extreme reaction to having grommets put it).
He lost 3/4lb in about 4 hours, and went form a child who won't sit still to
getting down off my lap and falling asleep within a couple of yards of
crawling. It took him a week to start eating (or drinking) again and three
weeks later is still not quite right. He was nearly put on a drip. One of
those times you're thankful you still breastfeed as for a time it was all
he'd take...
I suspect (although I don't know) that the rotovirus may be one of those
that mutates quickly, a bit like flu, as it seems to come round every year,
so that might be something to ask your paed, whether that will give full
imunity, or you renew it each year, or if it's just thought necessary under
a certain age.
Debbie