gallbladder operation

Old March 21st 07, 12:33 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Default gallbladder operation

Would anyone be willing to share their experiences of recovering from
gallbladder removal?

I've just had mine removed (laproscopic) on Saturday and today, on the
third day post-op am still not doing that great -- it feels like my
stomach is all cramped up and my back muscles hurt. How long will this
go on?

I'm eager to get better because I want to stop taking percocet at
night (which I'm taking to be able to fall asleep and get some rest)
so that my three-week old baby will stop getting "medicated" milk. I
know percocet is considered okay for bf, but it IS a narcotic and it
DOES get into breastmilk. I only took it four times since the
operation, so I hope I'm not getting addicted yet..

I guess what I'm looking for is just some reasurrance that I will feel
better soon and can stop the painkillers.

thanks for listening

Old March 21st 07, 05:21 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

I'm eager to get better because I want to stop taking percocet at
night (which I'm taking to be able to fall asleep and get some rest)
so that my three-week old baby will stop getting "medicated" milk. I
know percocet is considered okay for bf, but it IS a narcotic and it
DOES get into breastmilk. I only took it four times since the
operation, so I hope I'm not getting addicted yet..

I know very little about gall bladder surgery, but I've had the misfortune
to become pretty familiar with painkilling drugs!

One thought that occurs is that you are clearly nervous about taking this
drug and the effect on the baby and I don't think that is unwarranted in
such a young baby, it likely will cause some drowsiness and that could
potentially effect feeding. The consequence of this is you are only taking
the painkiller when you are desparate, when really you might to better at
this phase of recovery if you take something on a more regular basis, it
would still be a narcotic, but there is a whole lot of choice between just
Tylenol and Percocet, things that spring to mind are Darvocet, Tylenol 3,
but there are probably others and things like Percocet are available in a
range of doses, so it may be that tablet with a lower amount of the narcotic
component (if you currently have a higher version) may also help.

Part of the problem after a laparascopic procedure is gas inside you,
mobilising can help with that and may also help with your back if that is
related to stiffness at all. I would suggest making sure you get up and walk
around every hour for a couple of minutes.

Cheers

Anne

Old March 21st 07, 06:09 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Arte[_2_]

On Mar 21, 11:33 am, wrote:
[...]

Hi there,

I just had mine removed the same way on Monday. I have to say that I
am managing pain relief with just paracetamol every four hours or so,
which at least isn't a narcotic. Right now, I feel as though I have
been whacked in the stomach by a baseball bat - not a great feeling,
and definitely felt today that all the other drugs that have been in
my system are out. I do feel better after I've had a little walk
around (and don't know if this is TMI, felt a LOT better after a poo);
as long as the little walks aren't too far. I've spent the vast
majority of today on the couch, though.

I'm also reasonably sure my doctor said ibuprofen was ok as an
alternative (but I could be horribly wrong and am forgetting things
that I was told in hospital!)

Jodi

Old March 21st 07, 08:24 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
curious clare

On Mar 21, 6:09 am, "Arte" wrote:
On Mar 21, 11:33 am, wrote:

[...]

I had my gall bladder removed on 30th January and managed my first day
back at work on feb 14th with no ill effects except tiredness. I must
confess that I only work part time and then had a week off so I didn't
then return to work until 26th feb but I could have managed fine
without the weeks holiday and felt markedly different about 10 days
after the operation. Now I can't even really recall how much
discomfort I was in - I know it seems like an age but in a week you
will (very probably) feel hugely better. I wish you a straightforward
and speedy recovery

Clare

Old March 22nd 07, 08:04 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Morag in Scotland

I had my gallbladder out keyhole style in November 2003, when my son was 8
months old. I certainly felt a bit bruised and battered for a couple of
days, but didn't suffer too much pain. I was discharged from hospital with
pain killers but didn't use many of them.

What caused me most pain was the bloating feeling - they stuff you so full
of air to operate and it was very uncomfortable. Hope you're on the mend
soon.
morag

"curious clare" wrote in message
ps.com...

Old March 24th 07, 04:43 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
FlowerGirl

"Morag in Scotland" wrote in message

What caused me most pain was the bloating feeling - they stuff you so full
of air to operate and it was very uncomfortable. Hope you're on the mend
soon.
morag

OK - different Op but to get rid of that awful feeling of air where it
shouldn't be ... and the associated shoulder pain .... try lying on your
stomach (I know - its prolly a bit sore , but do it *carefully*).

After my lap&dye, my Gyno suggested doing this to get rid of the gas and it
worked a treat.
burp!
Amanda

Operation Nativity. Bible John Solutions 14 November 1st 05 11:29 AM
Operation Oasis Werebat Child Support 2 September 18th 05 11:54 PM
OPERATION NORTHWOODS M,a,r,k P,r,o,b,e,r,t-September 27, 2004 Kids Health 3 October 7th 04 04:45 PM
Thank you (was gallbladder help please) Tim & Kim Breastfeeding 2 November 15th 03 02:30 AM
My gallbladder is coming out Phoebe & Allyson Breastfeeding 3 September 7th 03 05:01 PM