Antidepressants and nursing

Old September 25th 06, 06:38 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
JJ

Default Antidepressants and nursing

I'd like to hear what other people's opinions are on the safety of
antidepressants and nursing (my 10 week old) I'm not suicidal or a
danger to my kids I think, but have been pretty miserable for a few
weeks, and it isn't getting better with more sleep, exercise, etc....
and I do have plenty of help and support. So realistically, my life
really shouldn't feel like it sucks this much.

the other wringer is that I'm concerned about taking an SSRI alone
since I'm grinding my teeth at night already (I know SSRI's can cause
that, and buspar can be added to help it) and have already cracked two
teeth, one in the last few months that abscessed and has been an extra
hassle to deal with. (but is all resolved now)

Go ahead trolls and have some fun at my expense, but I'd reallly like
to hear from some real posters too.

JJ

Old September 25th 06, 06:56 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
PattyMomVA

"JJ" wrote and I snipped:
I'd like to hear what other people's opinions are on the safety of
antidepressants and nursing (my 10 week old) I'm not suicidal or a
danger to my kids I think, but have been pretty miserable for a few
weeks, and it isn't getting better with more sleep, exercise, etc....
and I do have plenty of help and support. So realistically, my life
really shouldn't feel like it sucks this much.

The safest antidepressants to take while nursing are Zoloft and Paxil, in
that order. I don't know anything about teeth-grinding. I hope you find
something that works for you. It's great that you're looking for help.

Take care,
-Patty, mom of 1+2

Old September 25th 06, 09:49 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Me Myself and I

"JJ" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'd like to hear what other people's opinions are on the safety of
antidepressants and nursing (my 10 week old) I'm not suicidal or a
danger to my kids I think, but have been pretty miserable for a few
weeks, and it isn't getting better with more sleep, exercise, etc....
and I do have plenty of help and support. So realistically, my life
really shouldn't feel like it sucks this much.

the other wringer is that I'm concerned about taking an SSRI alone
since I'm grinding my teeth at night already (I know SSRI's can cause
that, and buspar can be added to help it) and have already cracked two
teeth, one in the last few months that abscessed and has been an extra
hassle to deal with. (but is all resolved now)

Go ahead trolls and have some fun at my expense, but I'd reallly like
to hear from some real posters too.

JJ

I can't help with the anti-depressants but I just wanted to add something
about the teeth grinding. I think you should take a visit to your dentist
and get a plate made up to stop your teeth grinding together so hard. I'm
sure That (if you start on anti-depressants) that your teeth grinding will
decrease, but until then I think you should get that problem sorted.

FWIW I'm sure there are plenty of anti-depressants that can be taken while
breastfeeding. Plenty of women get sever post partum depression so I'm sure
your doctor will be able to help you. Having a baby is dam tough especially
when they are very young but you certainly shouldn't be a miserable as you
sound.

Good luck.

--
Pip

My girls :
DD1 Jasmine - 5 weeks early - 21 March 02 -
Still as small as a peanut but as smart as a whip!

DD2 Abby - 8 weeks early - 3 Feb 05 -
"Uhhhhh ohhhhhh" is my new favourite phrase, now what other trouble can I
find!

"Yes you can drive me insane just by talking to me!"

Old September 25th 06, 10:29 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Workingmom

I can't help with the anti-depressants but I just wanted to add something
about the teeth grinding. I think you should take a visit to your dentist
and get a plate made up to stop your teeth grinding together so hard. I'm
sure That (if you start on anti-depressants) that your teeth grinding will
decrease, but until then I think you should get that problem sorted.

These are quite expensive - I have one and it took all my head aches away.

I've heard that you can buy a kit in a sports shop and make your own -
like the ones the boxers use. Does this make sense?

I paid 3000 Danish kroners for it - that's 500 $.

It takes some getting used to - and if you're hungry when you go to bed,
you produce much too much saliva - but you sleep better when you've
gotten used to it.

Tine, Denmark
Old September 26th 06, 01:21 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
V.

"JJ" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'd like to hear what other people's opinions are on the safety of
antidepressants and nursing (my 10 week old) I'm not suicidal or a
danger to my kids I think, but have been pretty miserable for a few
weeks, and it isn't getting better with more sleep, exercise, etc....
and I do have plenty of help and support. So realistically, my life
really shouldn't feel like it sucks this much.

the other wringer is that I'm concerned about taking an SSRI alone
since I'm grinding my teeth at night already (I know SSRI's can cause
that, and buspar can be added to help it) and have already cracked two
teeth, one in the last few months that abscessed and has been an extra
hassle to deal with. (but is all resolved now)

Go ahead trolls and have some fun at my expense, but I'd reallly like
to hear from some real posters too.

JJ

Well, I ended up going on 20mg of Prozac when my baby was about 14-16wks or
so due to post partum anxiety. Pre-pregnancy I had previously been on both
Zoloft and Paxil and had trouble with SSRI withdrawal symptoms if I was even
a little late taking it (they both have 24 hr half-lives). Prozac has a
48hr half-life, so less chance of withdrawal symptoms, so that's what I
opted for. I've never seen any adverse effects in my baby from the Prozac,
no withdrawal symptoms, etc, but then again I'm on a low dose.
I did the research, weighed the risks, and decided that the pros (enjoying
my baby, being a good mom, etc) were worth the cons. See
http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...hale10-02.html for more
info. I feel better and I know that makes a huge difference in my ability
to parent lovingly.
As for the teeth grinding issue, yep, I clench my teeth during sleep and
driving and it has gotten worse since starting the Prozac. I haven't
cracked anything, so I'm trying some relaxation exercises before sleep to
deal with it before adding another med. I did get the $25 over-the-counter
teeth guard the you boil in water to get it ready to mold to your teeth.
Works OK, at least I have less jaw pain in the morning. The ones the
dentist makes are smaller and more comfortable, but can be expensive if not
covered by insurance.
A side note: I started seeing a chiropractor after I had the baby due to
back pain from all the carrying, nursing, etc. Once that issue was resolved
(and it *really* helped), I stopped going. However, now that I'm having
more jaw pain from the TMJ, etc, I've gone back and have found it very
helpful with my anxiety as well. Honestly, I'm a skeptic and never believed
the claims that chiropractic could help with anything other than back pain
and was even skeptical about that. I can tell you though, I really notice a
difference in mood and anxiety as a result of the chiropractic treatment.
Good luck to you, I am a firm believer that treating your own mental health
is what's best for your baby. That may take the form of meds, or specific
cognitive-behavioral short term counselling, or a combination of the two.
(I wouldn't recommend psychotherapy for this issue, nor for your current
life circumstances) i'd also mention exploring things like accupuncture,
massage therapy and chiropractic. All have been rumored to help, and may be
especially helpful since you seem to also have a physical aspect (teeth
grinding).

HTH,
Amy

Old September 26th 06, 01:27 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
JJ

Workingmom wrote:
I can't help with the anti-depressants but I just wanted to add something
about the teeth grinding. I think you should take a visit to your dentist
and get a plate made up to stop your teeth grinding together so hard. I'm
sure That (if you start on anti-depressants) that your teeth grinding will
decrease, but until then I think you should get that problem sorted.

These are quite expensive - I have one and it took all my head aches away.

I've heard that you can buy a kit in a sports shop and make your own -
like the ones the boxers use. Does this make sense?

I paid 3000 Danish kroners for it - that's 500 $.

It takes some getting used to - and if you're hungry when you go to bed,
you produce much too much saliva - but you sleep better when you've
gotten used to it.

Tine, Denmark

Thanks

I actually just got a bite plate and while I'm told it will protect my
teeth, it doesn;t seem to do anything for my headache, jaw & face pain.
I swear some nights I only know I slept because I wake up with my face
hurting. DH says he never hears me grind, but I must do something
since I've now cracked two teeth and my teeth are otherwise healthy.

My OBGYN is recommending Wellbutrin as an alternative to an SSRI- any
experience with it? He says buspar is not recommended.

JJ

Old September 26th 06, 01:01 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

there is an order, it's on kellymom, others have posted the link, none are
entirely risk free, but the risks are minimal with even the most risky
(prozac). I've never heard of the link between SSRIs and teeth grinding, I'm
not an expert, but I've read a reasonable amount about SSRIs, both stuff
aimed at lay people, and medical stuff and have not seen a mention of it. My
expectation would be that as grinding can be linked to anxiety etc. that it
would be more likely to work the other way and reduce the likelyhood of you
grinding.

I can't find much about wellbutrin, but it would appear that Hale would rank
it below prozac in terms of safety. It seems to be most recommended for use
in smoking cessation, better for the mum to stop smoking and the baby to get
some of that med, but probably better to choose other things when not using
it for smoking cessation.

Jaw grinding wise, I don't grind, but I clench and it gives some of the
other affects like headaches that you list. I've mostly been managing very
well with practicing relaxation and a couple of treatments from an
osteopath. I would be surprised if chiropractic manipulations to the neck
would help too.

Cheers

Anne

Old September 26th 06, 03:17 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Workingmom

I actually just got a bite plate and while I'm told it will protect my
teeth, it doesn;t seem to do anything for my headache, jaw & face pain.
I swear some nights I only know I slept because I wake up with my face
hurting. DH says he never hears me grind, but I must do something
since I've now cracked two teeth and my teeth are otherwise healthy.

Is it smooth so that the bottom teeth can't sort of get a grip on the
plate? It has to be smooth so that the bottom teeth will slide against
the plate. That way there's no where the bottom teeth can find rest and
grind.

At least that's the explanation I got.

And when you go to sleep relax your jaws. When you're a tooth
grinder/jaw clencher it's hard just to do that. But try.

If I fall asleep with my jaws loose I seem to sleep better.

And please excuse my choice of words - these subjects are not taught in
Danish schools :-)

Tine, Denmark, a fellow jaw clencher.
Old September 26th 06, 06:22 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Erin

I am on Zoloft and here is what my dr, who I absolutely trust and
adore, told me: Stay on it for 6 months. If you try to wean early and
your panic and anxiety comes back, it will make you feel worse. Also,
don't try and wean during holidays, vacation, etc...

My situation is the same as yours: sleep, exercise, and support. I just
couldn't feel ANY joy, not even remotely. I felt always on the edge of
tears during the most routine of times. Zoloft has made this all
better.

I take my Zoloft after her last feeding at night when she is down for
her biggest stretch of sleep. My pedi says its safe, but I take that
extra precaution in case.

Good luck,
Erin

Old September 26th 06, 10:41 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

I take my Zoloft after her last feeding at night when she is down for
her biggest stretch of sleep. My pedi says its safe, but I take that
extra precaution in case.

that may be a false security, I've got a copy of that page of Hales and it
seems that the peak is 7-8hrs after taking it, so if you took it at dinner
time you might to better, with the peak being in the middle of the night.

Cheers

Anne