Aspartame found to cause breast cancer, leukemia and lymphomas in latest animals experiments

Old July 22nd 07, 06:26 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,sci.med,alt.support.breast-implant,misc.kids.health,sci.med.diseases.cancer
The One True Zhen Jue

Default Aspartame found to cause breast cancer, leukemia and lymphomas in latest animals experiments

On Jul 22, 11:20 am, Dragon's Girl wrote:
On Jul 15, 10:54 am, lilhornie wrote:

On Jul 14, 5:52 am, "JOHN" wrote:

"tauzinger" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Jun 29, 12:31 am, "Jan Drew" wrote:
Add aspartame to the FDA's Hall of Shame, right alongsideVioxx, Rezulin
and
the ordered destruction of recipe books that dared to mention the stevia
herb as an ingredient. It's just one more way in which the FDA continues
betray the American people and subject them to life-threatening
ingredients
that any honest Food and Drug Administration would have banned long ago.

Vioxx wouldn't happen any more today.

RAOFL!!!

They are still managing to suppress the vaccine autism conenction, so how
many kids every day get autism from vaccines?

That is a few million since mass DPT vaccination in the 40's, by the way.

----------- THANK YOU, GRANULATED SUGAR LOBBY ! -------------

For all these SCARY "reports" on the HORRORS of sugar SUBSTITUTES !

I'm not part of any 'sugar lobby', but I believe I've mentioned in
groups on usenet several times that my mother was a user of aspartame
and other sugar subs.
Even in the late seventies foods containing aspartame carried a cancer
warning on the packaging. I vividly recall reading those warnings.
Just a few years after she began using these products she was
diagnosed with breast cancer.

I must take issue with the vividness of your memories. Aspartame did
not go on the market until 1981. It never carried a cancer warning on
the packaging as there has never been any evidence of it being a
carcinogen. It only carried and still only carries this warning
"Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine"

From wikipedia: I"n 1981, U.S. President Ronald Reagan appointed

Arthur Hull Hayes as FDA commissioner. Citing data from a Japanese
study that had not been available to the members of the PBOI, Hayes
approved aspartame for use in dry goods.[6] In 1983 FDA further
approved aspartame for use in carbonated beverages, and for use in
other beverages, baked goods, and confections in 1993. In 1996, the
FDA removed all restrictions from aspartame allowing it to be used in
all foods."

In the following twenty one to twenty two years she continued to use
sugar substitutes, and at the age of 54 she was diagnosed with
Leukemia and died seven months later.
I don't know if genetics, aspartame, Chicago smog and pollution,
chemically treated water, a ruptured silicone breast implant, or what
caused my mother's illnesses and death..but I know I don't live in a
smoggy city, I don't drink much processed water, I don't have breast
implants, and I don't eat sugar substitutes because I feel it's better
to be safe than sorry.- Hide quoted text -

Well, its everyone's right and duty to choose what they feel is best
for them. However, you must admit that your recollection doesn't
exactly match history, regarding Aspartame's approval and "warnings".

Old July 23rd 07, 04:02 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,sci.med,alt.support.breast-implant,misc.kids.health,sci.med.diseases.cancer
Dragon's Girl

On Jul 14, 5:52 am, "JOHN" wrote:

"tauzinger" wrote in message

[...]

From wikipedia: I"n 1981, U.S. President Ronald Reagan appointed

[...]

Everyone knows if Wiki says it, then it must be true.
Right?

Old July 23rd 07, 04:11 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,sci.med,alt.support.breast-implant,misc.kids.health,sci.med.diseases.cancer
Dragon's Girl

On Jul 14, 5:52 am, "JOHN" wrote:

"tauzinger" wrote in message

[...]

From wikipedia: I"n 1981, U.S. President Ronald Reagan appointed

[...]

From Wiki:

There have been worries about the safety of saccharin since its
introduction[citation needed].

Saccharin was the first artificial sweetener and was originally
synthesized in 1879 by Remsen and Fahlberg and its sweet taste was
discovered by accident. It had been created in an experiment with
toluene derivatives. A process for the creation of saccharin from
phthalic anhydride was developed in 1950 and currently saccharin is
created by this process and the original process by which it was
discovered. It is 300-500 times as sweet as sugar (sucrose) and is
often used to improve the taste of toothpastes, dietary foods, and
dietary beverages. The bitter aftertaste of saccharin is often
minimized by blending it with other sweeteners.

Fear about saccharin increased when a 1960 study showed that high
levels of saccharin may cause bladder cancer in laboratory rats. In
1977, Canada banned saccharin due to results from animal research. The
FDA in the United States considered banning saccharin in 1977, but
Congress stepped in and placed a moratorium on such a ban. The
moratorium required a warning label and also mandated further study of
saccharin safety.

Subsequently, it was discovered that saccharin causes cancer in male
rats by a mechanism not found in humans. At high doses, saccharin
causes a precipitate to form in rat urine. This precipitate damages
the cells lining the bladder ("urinary bladder urothelial
cytotoxicity") and a tumor forms when the cells regenerate
("regenerative hyperplasia"). According to the International Agency
for Research on Cancer, part of the World Health Organization,
"Saccharin and its salts was downgraded from Group 2B, possibly
carcinogenic to humans, to Group 3, not classifiable as to
carcinogenicity to humans, despite sufficient evidence of
carcinogenicity to animals, because it is carcinogenic by a non-DNA-
reactive mechanism that is not relevant to humans because of critical
interspecies differences in urine composition."

In 2001, the United States repealed the warning label requirement (the
threat of an FDA ban had already been lifted in 1991). Most other
countries also permit saccharin but restrict the levels of use, while
other countries have outright banned it.

(I do recall, VERY VIVIDLY, reading the warning labels on the frozen
diet foods that my mother bought. I will certain admit that I was/may
have been mistaken about the NAME of the specific sugar substitute,
but the warning labels were there...)

From the Federal Consumer Information Center web site:

FDA began reviewing hundreds of GRAS substances--including saccharin--
in the early 1970s to ensure that the latest scientific information
continued to back up their safety. Studies in 1972 and 1973 of rats
fed saccharin raised concerns about the sweetener's role in causing
bladder cancer, but data analysis later suggested that impurities, not
saccharin, may have caused the tumors.

Then in 1977, a Canadian study that looked specifically at the role of
impurities--and of other suspected tumor causes, such as parasites in
test animals--showed convincingly that saccharin itself was causing
bladder cancer in rats. That same year, FDA proposed to ban saccharin
for all uses except as an over-the-counter drug in the form of a
tabletop sweetener. At the time, saccharin was the only available
alternative to sugar.

The FDA proposal prompted a public outcry, fueled in part by media
reports that the test rats were fed the equivalent of as many as 800
diet sodas a day. Congress responded by passing the Saccharin Study
and Labeling Act, which placed a two-year moratorium on any ban of the
sweetener while additional safety studies were conducted. The law also
required that any foods containing saccharin must carry a label that
reads "Use of this product may be hazardous to your health. This
product contains saccharin which has been determined to cause cancer
in laboratory animals." Congress has extended the moratorium several
times, most recently renewing it until 2002.

And so...the labels that I read (and you are correct) were not in
regard to Aspartame, but to Saccharine.
Thanks for pointing it out.

Old July 23rd 07, 01:19 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,sci.med,alt.support.breast-implant,misc.kids.health,sci.med.diseases.cancer
The One True Zhen Jue

On Jul 14, 5:52 am, "JOHN" wrote:

"tauzinger" wrote in message

[...]

From wikipedia: I"n 1981, U.S. President Ronald Reagan appointed

[...]

Right?- Hide quoted text -

Not necessarily, but they do have a bibliography which cites ALL the
original sources. Not to put too fine a point on it, but there
never were cancer warnings on Aspartame and it wasn't marketed until
the end of 1981. It wasn't in beverages in 1983. There is no good
reason to suspect it is carcinogenic. It is only a risk to
Phenylketonurics because it contains Phenylalanine.

Its a red herring, just like Thimerisol in vaccines. Its not a
problem. There are far more important things to be concerned about.

Old July 23rd 07, 01:20 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,sci.med,alt.support.breast-implant,misc.kids.health,sci.med.diseases.cancer
The One True Zhen Jue

On Jul 14, 5:52 am, "JOHN" wrote:

"tauzinger" wrote in message

[...]

From wikipedia: I"n 1981, U.S. President Ronald Reagan appointed

[...]

From Wiki:

[...]

From the Federal Consumer Information Center web site:

[...]

Thanks for pointing it out.- Hide quoted text -

No problemo! Saccharine is the original artificial sweetner and the
source of many urban legends about Aspartame & Splenda.

Old July 23rd 07, 01:37 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,sci.med,alt.support.breast-implant,misc.kids.health,sci.med.diseases.cancer
Myrl

On Jul 14, 5:52 am, "JOHN" wrote:

"tauzinger" wrote in message

[...]

From wikipedia: I"n 1981, U.S. President Ronald Reagan appointed

[...]

From Wiki:

[...]

From the Federal Consumer Information Center web site:

[...]

Interestingly, I had an uncle, who died of bladder cancer in 1961. He
was a very heavy saccharin user. My aunt cooked and baked with it
even.

I didn't know that bladder cancer, and saccharin were linked.

Myrl
http://www.webstarmagic.com/wisletter.htm

Old July 23rd 07, 01:49 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,sci.med,alt.support.breast-implant,misc.kids.health,sci.med.diseases.cancer
The One True Zhen Jue

On Jul 14, 5:52 am, "JOHN" wrote:

"tauzinger" wrote in message

[...]

From wikipedia: I"n 1981, U.S. President Ronald Reagan appointed

[...]

From Wiki:

[...]

From the Federal Consumer Information Center web site:

[...]

I had a relative with a very similar story. His oncologist thought
that it was the 3 packs of cigarettes, smoked meats, and alcohol
consumption. Someone else thought it was saccharin.

Myrlhttp://www.webstarmagic.com/wisletter.htm- Hide quoted text -

Old July 23rd 07, 02:42 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,sci.med,alt.support.breast-implant,misc.kids.health,sci.med.diseases.cancer
Myrl

On Jul 23, 5:49 am, The One True Zhen Jue
wrote:

I had a relative with a very similar story. His oncologist thought
that it was the 3 packs of cigarettes, smoked meats, and alcohol
consumption. Someone else thought it was saccharin.

There's little absolute truth in life - only endless possibilities,
and probabilities! Luckily for industry, they can hide behind their
collective skirts of potential and possible causes!

Old July 23rd 07, 04:14 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,sci.med,alt.support.breast-implant,misc.kids.health,sci.med.diseases.cancer
Coleah

wrote:

I had a relative with a very similar story. His oncologist thought
that it was the 3 packs of cigarettes, smoked meats, and alcohol
consumption. Someone else thought it was saccharin.

There's little absolute truth in life - only endless possibilities,
and probabilities! Luckily for industry, they can hide behind their
collective skirts of potential and possible causes!

Myrl
http;//www.webstarmagic.com/wisletter.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That brought up a memory of a conversation I had with my Chiropractor
years ago. I asked him if a firmer mattress was better than a softer
mattress and he said, "I hesitate to make a recommendation, for
tomorrow someone may come up with a finding that it causes cancer."

Old July 23rd 07, 05:25 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,sci.med,alt.support.breast-implant,misc.kids.health,sci.med.diseases.cancer
Vernono O

ups.com...
wrote:

On Jul 22, 11:20 am, Dragon's Girl wrote:

On Jul 15, 10:54 am, lilhornie wrote:

On Jul 14, 5:52 am, "JOHN" wrote:

"tauzinger" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Jun 29, 12:31 am, "Jan Drew"
wrote:
[...]

From wikipedia: I"n 1981, U.S. President Ronald Reagan appointed

[...]

I'm not a proponent or fan of aspartame or any of the substitute sweeteners
in discussion.
BUT
The health and welfare of the western world would be greatly enhanced if
basic sugar was eliminated from the market.
Aiming at the other artificials is a canard.
Excess sugar causes or exacerbates ALL of the above maladies. (Every one of
them plus dozens more)

I use two sweeteners, honey (local bees) and Stevin. Of course I get sugar
from a thousand sources in purchased foods that one would expect not to need
or have sweeteners.