What to do with DD?

Old May 30th 06, 11:40 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default What to do with DD?

PattyMom VA wrote:
Don't discount your friends. *I know I'd be happy to be on call for a friend
in labor, working or not. *Maybe you can ask a few who work either nearyour
home or near where you'll deliver. *S/he could watch DD for a few hours
until your family member gets there.

Thanks, Patty. I'm really not *discounting* my friends, I just a)
hesitate to impose, which I realize is probably silly, and b) am a
little apprehensive, since none have kids of their own. I know if they
could help, they would. But, as we all have a huge deadline on
Thursday, none can commit for today or tomorrow. But they certainly
will all be eligible for an emergency 2 a.m. phone call, despite
experience, schedule, or anything else!

-Carlye
DD 9-29-04
DS EDD 6-2-06

Old May 31st 06, 03:37 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"carlye" wrote in message
oups.com...
For those of you pregnant with your second (or later) baby or that
already have 2 or more kids...

If you did not have family available to watch your first born if/when
you went into labor, who did you use?

With #2 I used the lady that did daycare for #1. She agreed to watch him
anytime. With #3/4 I used the neighbor for #1 and #2. I actually asked
each neighbor on each side so they didn't feel under pressure to always be
around :-) We are friendly but not 'friends' ie we never hang out. They
were happy to do it and I think most people would be. It isn't like you
have babies every day and can over impose or anything :-) It worked out
great both times.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old May 31st 06, 05:17 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Thanks, everyone, for the help. I tried to reply to most of your
posts, but Google Groups (yes, I'm one of *those* people) kept crapping
out on me today, so I have given up.

I actually hadn't had any friends offer to help -- most have
not-so-subtly made clear that they are not willing to watch DD. (My
circle of friends in this town consists entirely of my childless male
coworkers -- they aren't exactly the "kids" type.) Anyway, it's
okay... The wives of both my boss and DH's are SAHM's, and I think
either would be happy to help if we were desperate and they were
around. And if that doesn't work, I'll just start calling people I
"kinda" know, or we'll just have DH watch DD and I'll do the labor
thing alone.

I really feel pretty stupid for being in this situation. We had never
planned a backup for MIL/FIL. MIL has her "good" days, when she and
FIL take DD out of daycare and play with her for the day, but she also
certainly has her "bad" days, too. I was comforted that my brother was
only three hours away, but he started a new job yesterday and won't be
able to take time off at all. My parents are a good five hours away
and can't/won't come down here this week as a "just in case," much to
my dismay. We just should've had a better plan.

Thanks for your help. One sure thing about this whole deal, the birth
is going to happen. Whether the kid comes on his own or he waits for
my induction, whether we have someone to watch DD or DH is working
between feeding me ice chips and reading her a book, the day will come.
I guess we'll just see.

-Carlye
DD 9-29-04
DS EDD 6-2-06

Old May 31st 06, 06:57 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

carlye wrote:
[...]

Do you have any playgroup moms? Neighbors or DD's friend's moms who you
could ask? They may not be people you know well, but might be willing to
help out due to the circumstances. Just a thought.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password

Old May 31st 06, 12:37 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

carlye wrote:

I really feel pretty stupid for being in this situation. We had never
planned a backup for MIL/FIL. MIL has her "good" days, when she and
FIL take DD out of daycare and play with her for the day, but she also
certainly has her "bad" days, too. I was comforted that my brother was
only three hours away, but he started a new job yesterday and won't be
able to take time off at all. My parents are a good five hours away
and can't/won't come down here this week as a "just in case," much to
my dismay. We just should've had a better plan.

Can you hire a doula? At least that way, you've
got labor support covered just in case DH is on childcare
duty. That might take a lot of pressure off the situation.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old May 31st 06, 01:17 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"carlye" wrote in message
ups.com...
snip
I really feel pretty stupid for being in this situation. We had never
planned a backup for MIL/FIL.

Don't! When I had my shameful false alarm, we realised we had NO plan
whatsoever. No backup. No one to backup.

Isabelle

Old May 31st 06, 02:21 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Jamie Clark wrote:

Do you have any playgroup moms? Neighbors or DD's friend's moms who you
could ask? They may not be people you know well, but might be willing to
help out due to the circumstances. Just a thought.
--

That's a good thought... DD went to daycare full-time until I started
my leave, and although she's on a leave of absence now so she can't go

-Carlye
DD 9-29-04
DS EDD 6-2-06

Old May 31st 06, 02:25 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Can you hire a doula? At least that way, you've
got labor support covered just in case DH is on childcare
duty. That might take a lot of pressure off the situation.

Yeah, after your original post, I was thinking, "Gee, a doula might be
really nice right now!" but I am in the Land of Zero Midwives and One
Doula... Months ago, I discovered there's only one doula within a 200
mile radius of here, and she wasn't someone I would have wanted at my
baby's birth. Now, if I could just hire her for babysiting... But
under normal circumstances (and in a more populated area, I guess) it
would've been a great idea. Thanks

-Carlye
DD 9-29-04
DS EDD 6-2-06