Seizures in utero

Old January 11th 07, 02:41 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward

Default Seizures in utero

Jamie Clark wrote:
LPC-W,
I have no idea if your babe in utereo is having seizures or not, but I will
say this -- in the 10 years that I've been participating on this ng, there
have been countless women who have asked this question, and none that have
ended up having a baby with a seizure disorder. They all said that it
didn't feel like hiccups nor stretching, and were honestly concerned.

I really appreciate that you've told me this, Jamie. I must say, I
didn't like my concern being dismissed out of hand by the radiologist
today ("no such thing as fetal seizures"), that made the whole thing
even worse for me... Not knowing whom to trust of my caregivers.
Luckily there's this group for a sanity check! :-)

Old January 11th 07, 03:41 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Susan M

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
. ..
LPC-W,
I have no idea if your babe in utereo is having seizures or not, but I
will say this -- in the 10 years that I've been participating on this ng,
there have been countless women who have asked this question, and none
that have ended up having a baby with a seizure disorder. They all said
that it didn't feel like hiccups nor stretching, and were honestly
concerned. Many newborns have a pretty distinct startle reflex, where
they kick out with their arms and legs and shudder a bit, and it wouldn't
surprise me if that is what is happening in the womb as well.

Well, at 36 weeks, I hadn't really thought to be concerned about my baby's
crazy convulsive movements - exactly as described in the original post. I
wondered what he was doing in there but didn't really worry until I read the
post. I'll ask my doc tomorrow when I go in too. My first two kids were so
long ago that I actually don't remember what they were like so I can't
compare. It is reassuring that others have had the same concerns and that
there were no problems.

Susan M

Old January 11th 07, 05:01 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Pologirl

Jamie Clark wrote:
in the 10 years that I've been participating on this ng, there
have been countless women who have asked this question, and none that have
ended up having a baby with a seizure disorder. They all said that it
didn't feel like hiccups nor stretching, and were honestly concerned.

I haven't been here that long, but I can Google. And Jamie is
absolutely correct. "feels like the baby is having seizures in there",
"strange vibrating", etc. etc. etc.

How about those midwives "on staff" at B&W? Maybe if you hook up with
them, they can tell you which of the OBs knows the kinds of things
you're concerned about.

I get the impression that this newsgroup is really, really strange.
That many women don't ever ask their OBs anything. That many women
just sit there passively and get poked and palpated, pee in a cup, etc.
And hope to just lie there passively while the baby and OB between
them somehow get the baby out. Because clearly it is beyond belief
that the woman can do this herself. KWIM?

Old January 11th 07, 07:57 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Susan M

"Susan M" wrote in message
Well, at 36 weeks, I hadn't really thought to be concerned about my baby's
crazy convulsive movements - exactly as described in the original post. I
wondered what he was doing in there but didn't really worry until I read
the post. I'll ask my doc tomorrow when I go in too.

I asked the doc today and she said that the baby's nervous system is
immature - the nerves haven't yet had all the fat they need layed down - and
as a result their moves are very jerky, particularly during the startle
reflex. She said it was totally normal and nothing to worry about.

As an aside, at 36 weeks my boy has finally put his head down - he was
transverse until now. Yeah!

Susan M

Old January 11th 07, 10:21 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Pologirl wrote:
Jamie Clark wrote:
in the 10 years that I've been participating on this ng, there
have been countless women who have asked this question, and none that have
ended up having a baby with a seizure disorder. They all said that it
didn't feel like hiccups nor stretching, and were honestly concerned.

I haven't been here that long, but I can Google. And Jamie is
absolutely correct. "feels like the baby is having seizures in there",
"strange vibrating", etc. etc. etc.

About 24 hours later, I can tell you I feel much better now that I've
read everyone's input, and paid more attention to what the baby has
been doing in there. Certainly there have been no jerky moments
followed by rest, so that's a huge relief. So thank you everyone, I'm
so grateful that people have taken the time to reply!

How about those midwives "on staff" at B&W? Maybe if you hook up with
them, they can tell you which of the OBs knows the kinds of things
you're concerned about.

I don't know about those midwives, to be honest. Haven't they 'sold
out' by working in a hospital in the first place? I'm just saying,
maybe I'm being unfair...

I get the impression that this newsgroup is really, really strange.
That many women don't ever ask their OBs anything. That many women
just sit there passively and get poked and palpated, pee in a cup, etc.
And hope to just lie there passively while the baby and OB between
them somehow get the baby out. Because clearly it is beyond belief
that the woman can do this herself. KWIM?

I get the opposite impression of this group, actually. I trust the
women here to be enlightened and know exactly what they are capable of!
In fact, I direct all my newly pregnant friends here when they have
questions, because I know they'll get the right guidance! I, for one,
would not have had the knowledge and courage to go for a home birth
with my first baby if I hadn't received so much support here!

Old January 12th 07, 02:28 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

"Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward" wrote in message
oups.com...

Pologirl wrote:

I get the impression that this newsgroup is really, really strange.
That many women don't ever ask their OBs anything. That many women
just sit there passively and get poked and palpated, pee in a cup, etc.
And hope to just lie there passively while the baby and OB between
them somehow get the baby out. Because clearly it is beyond belief
that the woman can do this herself. KWIM?

I get the opposite impression of this group, actually. I trust the
women here to be enlightened and know exactly what they are capable of!
In fact, I direct all my newly pregnant friends here when they have
questions, because I know they'll get the right guidance! I, for one,
would not have had the knowledge and courage to go for a home birth
with my first baby if I hadn't received so much support here!

I get the impression that many women "in the real world" are more like
described in the first paragraph. Even friends of mine cruised along,
clueless, and then had a c-section for no obvious reason. And then were
unquestioningly happy to have another c-section on their next pregnancy,
because then they could schedule it and knew exactly when the baby would be
coming. I think the women on this ng are much more educated than the
average woman IRL.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old January 12th 07, 03:50 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Pologirl

Pologirl wrote:
I get the impression that this newsgroup is really, really strange.
That many women don't ever ask their OBs anything.

Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward wrote:
I get the opposite impression of this group, actually. I trust the
women here to be enlightened and know exactly what they are capable of!

Sorry, something's missing from my text above. The "many women" is in
contrast to "this newsgroup". I mean we are not the norm. We do
question everything.

Old January 12th 07, 05:10 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

"Pologirl" wrote in message
ups.com...

Pologirl wrote:
I get the impression that this newsgroup is really, really strange.
That many women don't ever ask their OBs anything.

Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward wrote:
I get the opposite impression of this group, actually. I trust the
women here to be enlightened and know exactly what they are capable of!

Sorry, something's missing from my text above. The "many women" is in
contrast to "this newsgroup". I mean we are not the norm. We do
question everything.

Ahhhh! That makes much more sense!
--

Jamie