SSRIs more harm than good?

Old March 27th 08, 01:47 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med.nutrition
news.chi.sbcglobal.net

Default SSRIs more harm than good?

True, I am not a physician. But if you think that death to an innocent
person is going overboard, I am surely at the bottom of the ocean. I do
not know if you understand. It is not the person taking the
anti-depressant I am concerned about, usually they are helped. The p
roblem is all stimulants, including all anti-depressants have the uncanny
ability to transfer harm by a MIND / BODY connection to a friend or relative
and this in spite of distance. Never in the history of the world has
there been such an unknown side effect that play only off the mind and
stimulant. Dr. Burrill crohn did not try to solve the mystery for
nothing. It has become a raging problem since his fultile efforts in
1932. Astute observation reveals the problem and it is a sad one if it
involves a person you love, and it involves thousands in the last fifty
years in nursing homes, children with Inflammatory Bowel Disease, physicians
have died from crohns etc. I can talk forever on the subject and wish I
could reveal a world figure that has benefitted from what I say.
Sincerely
Gail Michael
Incidentally, anti-depressants and marijuana are stimulants. As a doctor.

Old March 27th 08, 03:34 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med.nutrition
Marshall Price

news.chi.sbcglobal.net wrote:
[...]

"The mind-body connection" refers to the effects of the mind and body on
each other, not to some sort of mental telepathy capable of spreading
contagious diseases. Besides, depression is simply not contagious.
Therapists tell their patients not to worry about making other people
depressed; it doesn't happen. And I don't need to ask a doctor to know
that stimulants are distinct from antidepressants and marijuana; that's
common knowledge (widely available) as well as common sense. Marijuana
and many antidepressants tend to help people get to sleep. Any book
about pharmacology lists stimulants, antidepressants, and hallucinogens
separately. (Look up stimulants on Wikipedia.) I know nothing of
Burrill Crohn's futile efforts in 1932, but depression is a frequent
concomitant of IBD and I'm sure interactions of antidepressants with
medicines prescribed for IBD are well investigated.

How you can imagine that harm to distant friends and relatives is caused
by the successful treatment of a patient with depression is utterly
inconceivable to me. Ordinarily, sympathy for somebody in distress
ought to arouse compassion or grief, but not "harm" or depression.

I've known many people suffering from both bowel diseases and mood
disorders and can well understand feeling "at the bottom of the ocean,"
but striking out at the best efforts of the healing profession is more
likely to cause distress than comfort to people whose only recourse is
to trust their doctors and hope for the best.

We all share a common duty above all to do no harm.

--
Marshall Price of Miami
Known to Yahoo as d021317c
Old March 27th 08, 08:03 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med.nutrition
Juhana Harju[_2_]

Marshall Price wrote:

"The mind-body connection" refers to the effects of the mind and body
on each other, not to some sort of mental telepathy capable of
spreading contagious diseases. Besides, depression is simply not
contagious. Therapists tell their patients not to worry about making
other people depressed; it doesn't happen.

I believe the opposite to be true and this reference seems to support my
point of view.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12217095

However, I don't think that we should get paranoid about the fact and
exaggerate the effect in the way the previous poster did.

Ordinarily, sympathy for somebody in
distress ought to arouse compassion or grief, but not "harm" or
depression.

I agree.

--
Juhana

Ravintoblogini:
http://ruohikolla.blogspot.com/

Old March 27th 08, 10:19 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med.nutrition
Marshall Price

Juhana Harju wrote:
Marshall Price wrote:

"The mind-body connection" refers to the effects of the mind and body
on each other, not to some sort of mental telepathy capable of
spreading contagious diseases. Besides, depression is simply not
contagious. Therapists tell their patients not to worry about making
other people depressed; it doesn't happen.

I believe the opposite to be true and this reference seems to support my
point of view.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12217095

However, I don't think that we should get paranoid about the fact and
exaggerate the effect in the way the previous poster did.

Ordinarily, sympathy for somebody in
distress ought to arouse compassion or grief, but not "harm" or
depression.

I agree.

It only shows correlation, not causation, and it says so. There's a
difference between mutual experience and contagion. Besides, just look
at all the complicating factors (recent vision loss, family conflict,
poor health, etc.)! And of course, there's no action at a distance as
the original poster suggested. Also, note that this is a study of
depressive affect similarity, not clinical depression, and the original
poster suggested that the antidepressants actually worked, yet somehow
harmed a distant person who wasn't getting them, through a mind-body
connection.

When I said "not to worry about making other people depressed," I wasn't
thinking about spouses living together and sharing hardships, I was
thinking of how people react when they witness sadness in a stranger.
If you're depressed, you shouldn't sit alone in your room out of a
groundless fear that your depression will spread to others. The simple
fact is, it doesn't work that way. Other people are more likely to feel
glad they're not in your shoes.

-------
1: Aging Ment Health. 2002 Aug;6(3):266-74.
Is it contagious? Affect similarity among spouses.
Goodman CR, Shippy RA.

Arlene R. Gordon Research Institute, Lighthouse International, New
York, NY 10022-1202, USA.

Theories of emotional contagion suggest that spouses mutually
experience affective or emotional states. However, empirical support for
this theory is limited. Using a dyadic approach, this study examines
affect similarity of depressive symptoms between elders with vision
impairment and their spouses. As part of an investigation on older
couples dealing with disability, 123 elders dealing with a recent vision
loss and their spouses were interviewed. Guided by a stress process
model, predictors of spouse depressive symptoms were examined.
Hierarchical regression analyses revealed that the spouse's race,
health, care-giving appraisal, self-efficacy, conflict with other family
members regarding their partner, and their partner's depressive symptoms
significantly predicted spouse depression. Specifically, spouses who
were white, in poorer health, experienced more care-giving burden, had
more family conflict, and poorer self-efficacy, were more likely to be
depressed. Entered in the final step, elder depression uniquely
contributed to the prediction of spouse depression. This points to
affect similarity among spouses, which suggests that when one spouse is
depressed, the other spouse is likely to experience a similar depressive
symptomatology.

PMID: 12217095 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
---------

--
Marshall Price of Miami
Known to Yahoo as d021317c