Prime example of why I hate other parents...

Old August 9th 06, 01:57 AM posted to misc.kids
L.

Default Prime example of why I hate other parents...

Five animals die needlessly because someone can't control their brat.
They should have made the brat's parents pay for the euthanization and
replacement of the animals. This is totally ridiculous. Nine years old
is old enough to know better.
-L.

***paste***

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...s/15199813.htm

The five meerkats euthanized Thursday at the Minnesota Zoo tested
negative this morning for rabies, two days after one of them bit a
child
who reached into their exhibit.

One of the animals bit a 9-year-old girl who had reached over a
Plexiglas barrier in an attempt to pet them.

The bite broke the girl's skin but did not result in a major injury,
zoo
officials said. As a precaution, however, all five meerkats on display
were destroyed to be tested for rabies.

"It is our policy, always, to err on the side of safety," said Sue
Gergen, communications director for the zoo in Apple Valley.

Gergen said there was no way to determine which meerkat had bitten the
child, so all had to be destroyed and tested.

The child reportedly climbed up on simulated rocks to reach through a
small gap between a wall and the top of a Plexiglas window at the
exhibit, Gergen said. The area was posted with signs that told visitors
to stay off the rocks, she added.

Nonetheless, Gergen said the exhibit will be closed and evaluated for
public safety before it is reopened. The zoo has another troop of
meerkats, including some that were born in its own breeding program.

Gergen said the decision to euthanize the five animals was required
after the girl declined to undergo a six-shot series of injections for
rabies. The child's parents also do not want her treated unless it is
necessary, Gergen said.

The action also was required by Minnesota Department of Health rules,
Gergen added.

The girl and her parents were not identified.

Meerkats, which are native to arid regions in Africa, are burrowing
animals related to the mongoose. Energetic and inquisitive, they were
popularized by the hyperactive character Timon in the Disney animated
film "The Lion King." The Minnesota Zoo meerkat exhibit opened in 2001
and has been a visitor favorite since among children.

"This was a very unfortunate thing, very sad," Gergen said. "I can't
remember the last time something like this has happened, and all of us
feel bad about it."

Old August 9th 06, 04:27 AM posted to misc.kids
Tori M

This has been on the news all week. I wouldnt say I HATE the parents or the
child for it.. but she should have known better.. My DH's Neice would do
something like that and she is 12 *ugh*

Tori
ups.com...

Old August 9th 06, 05:42 AM posted to misc.kids
toypup

"Tori M" wrote in message
.. .
This has been on the news all week. I wouldnt say I HATE the parents or
the child for it.. but she should have known better.. My DH's Neice would
do something like that and she is 12 *ugh*

Just wondering, if she's DH's niece, isn't she also your niece by marriage?

Old August 9th 06, 06:24 AM posted to misc.kids
Tori M

Just wondering, if she's DH's niece, isn't she also your niece by
marriage?

I was just trying to clarify relation.. Jeffs family seems to seperate that
way. I think it is goofy but I guess I am used to it now. I actualy claim
her based on how much I miss her :P after last time I will need another
week. She is a good kid at heart but she just can not contain herself.
They can not get a diagnosis that makes sense.. She has the social skills of
a 6 year old.. this was determined by a dr.. but then from there they argue
it could be a form of autism.. someone said florecent lighting excites her
so it could just be that the last time I saw her it was at a hospital with
all the lights. I have learned to start over everytime I see her it makes
seeing her much more pleasurable. By that I mean even if she was awful and
didnt listen and threw a fit and whatever the next time I see her I treat
her as if she was normaly good. I dont want her to see me as someone that
does not want her arround though she can be a handful. I have been
patiently waiting for teen years but if she is so far behind socialy I guess
that wont matter

The time before that we went swimming with her and she was verry good. I
will keep that one with me for a long time.. I always wanted to be the
"nice" aunt.. the one they all loved :P

Tori

Old August 9th 06, 05:54 AM posted to misc.kids
Me Myself and I

--
"L." wrote in message
ups.com...
Five animals die needlessly because someone can't control their brat.
They should have made the brat's parents pay for the euthanization and
replacement of the animals. This is totally ridiculous. Nine years old
is old enough to know better.
-L.

***paste***

snipped

I can understand the girl not wanting the series of shots but she should
have been MADE to take responsibility for what she did!! Also where were
the parents when she was climbing the rocks? It just shows ignorance really
does breed ignorance. They should have put the family down rather than the
animals.

--
Pip

My girls :
DD1 Jasmine - 5 weeks early - 21 March 02 -
Still as small as a peanut but as smart as a whip!

DD2 Abby - 8 weeks early - 3 Feb 05 -
"Uhhhhh ohhhhhh" is my new favourite phrase, now what other trouble can I
find!

"Yes you can drive me insane just by talking to me!"

Old August 9th 06, 07:33 AM posted to misc.kids
L.

Me Myself and I wrote:
I can understand the girl not wanting the series of shots but she should
have been MADE to take responsibility for what she did!! Also where were
the parents when she was climbing the rocks? It just shows ignorance really
does breed ignorance. They should have put the family down rather than the
animals.

Gee Pip, you're more radical than I, LOL!! IMO, they should have MADE
her take the rabies shots. Maybe then she'd think twice about doing it
again.

-L.

Old August 9th 06, 01:44 PM posted to misc.kids
StephanieTheGoofy

"L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Me Myself and I wrote:
I can understand the girl not wanting the series of shots but she should
have been MADE to take responsibility for what she did!! Also where

were
the parents when she was climbing the rocks? It just shows ignorance

really
does breed ignorance. They should have put the family down rather than

the
animals.

Gee Pip, you're more radical than I, LOL!! IMO, they should have MADE
her take the rabies shots. Maybe then she'd think twice about doing it
again.

-L.

Killing animals so she does not have to have some shots does not make sense
to me.

Old August 11th 06, 10:52 PM posted to misc.kids
Cathy Weeks

StephanieTheGoofy wrote:
"L." wrote in message

Killing animals so she does not have to have some shots does not make sense
to me.

Regardless of how it was portrayed in the media, it was probably NOT a
cause and effect situation - ie she refuses the shots, so they kill the
animals for testing.

It is VERY, VERY likely that even if she had taken the shots
prophylactically, that they would STILL have euthanized the animals and
tested - for the safety of the other kids, and the zoo workers.

Do they KNOW how rabies acts in meerkats? Can it lay dormant? So she
gets her shots, doesn't develop the disease, they keep watch on the
animals, they appear fine, then wham they bite someone else.

Cathy W

Old August 9th 06, 09:20 PM posted to misc.kids
Me Myself and I

I should have finished my sentence better When I said "I can
understand the girl not wanting the series of shots but she should have been
MADE to take responsibility for what she did!!" I should have added at the
end that she should have been made to have the shots as way of being help
responsible (since she hates shots she sure would have known she did wrong
everytime she had one. Sorry if I wasn't very clear

--
Pip

My girls :
DD1 Jasmine - 5 weeks early - 21 March 02 -
Still as small as a peanut but as smart as a whip!

DD2 Abby - 8 weeks early - 3 Feb 05 -
"Uhhhhh ohhhhhh" is my new favourite phrase, now what other trouble can I
find!

"Yes you can drive me insane just by talking to me!"

--
"L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Old August 9th 06, 11:46 AM posted to misc.kids
Chookie

In article . com,
"L." wrote:

Five animals die needlessly because someone can't control their brat.
They should have made the brat's parents pay for the euthanization and
replacement of the animals. This is totally ridiculous. Nine years old
is old enough to know better.

If it were my child, she would have had the rabies injections (not that we
have rabies here, but you know what I mean!).

And the animals were not euthanased, they were put down. Big difference.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue