OT - appetite stimulant for a 7 yo?

Old June 27th 06, 06:32 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default OT - appetite stimulant for a 7 yo?

Chookie wrote:
What, just like Type 1 diabetics should learn to deal with it themselves? Or
people with depression?

I might be out of date, but my impression was that the drugs enable the child
to START learning to control himself, not that they do the job for him.

Chookie, you're getting all adversarial. I guess this topic is close to
home. So far, with my kid, no, they haven't really had that effect on
him. They've calmed down the "running on the ragged edge" thing: he
doesn't freak out and cry when thwarted (at least not as much....); he
can spend more time on schoolwork (or at least he did, until he got so
bored with the repetition that it practically took tying him to his
chair to get him to do his homework); and he's got a couple friends,
now. That was really all I cared about - him having some friends.

But, can you see my point? That it bothers me that his being able to
make friends is dependent on him taking a fistful of pills every
morning? No less than if it was some other psychiatric disorder, I feel
bad about it.
--
Cheri Stryker

mom to DS1 - 7 yrs, and DS2 - 3.5 months

Check out my new breastfeeding T-shirts on CafePress!
http://www.cafepress.com/dancingbones
Old June 28th 06, 01:46 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Chookie ) writes:
In article ,
(Catherine Woodgold) wrote:

Whether an amount of
dopamine or serotonin is "way too much" can be a matter of opinion
or can vary depending on the situation. Some people with ADD are
very good at handling emergency situations, for example. They
may do poorly with ordinary day-to-day tasks like remembering to
pay the phone bill, but do very well with jobs like emergency
room physician or air traffic controller.

Your point is invalid for two reasons. The first is that the symptoms of
ADD/ADHD have to occur in multiple settings for a diagnosis. Secondly, part
of the definition of ADD/ADHD is that the symptoms are causing significant
impairment in social, school, or work functioning. See:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/symptom.htm

I also spotted a University of Virginia site which mentioned that studies had
NOT shown dietary L-tryptophan to have an effect on ADD/ADHD, but of course
that is not primary data.

I disagree with your statement that
"Your point is invalid for two reasons".
The points you list are consistent with what I said.
Old June 28th 06, 01:50 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Cheri Stryker ) writes:
But, can you see my point? That it bothers me that his being able to
make friends is dependent on him taking a fistful of pills every
morning? No less than if it was some other psychiatric disorder, I feel
bad about it.

A diabetic's ability to make friends is dependent on taking
insulin every morning (otherwise the diabetic would be dead
or in a coma or something, not making friends.) I don't think
that thought bothers diabetics. Why should the thought
bother people with mood disorders?
Old June 28th 06, 02:48 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Catherine Woodgold wrote:

-- give him the drug sometimes but not at other
times, or at a lower dose, and use many natural treatments
for ADD. For example, I think some people use a drug
on school days but not on weekends. One problem with
this is that the drug may have withdrawal effects that
make the ADD symptoms worse.

*Please* speak with DS's doctor before doing this, and determine what
the half-life of concerta is, and whether changing (reducing) the
dosage would provoke withdrawal effects.

(I confess, speaking as someone who has been on antidepressants of one
flavor or another for the past 20+ years, this advice for
on-again-off-again medication makes me nuts, in all senses of the word.
I'm also sure that some people stop taking antibiotics (or
antidepressants) once they 'feel better' -- I really really don't
recommend it.)

Caledonia

Old June 28th 06, 03:50 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Catherine Woodgold wrote:

Cheri Stryker ) writes:

But, can you see my point? That it bothers me that his being able to
make friends is dependent on him taking a fistful of pills every
morning? No less than if it was some other psychiatric disorder, I feel
bad about it.

A diabetic's ability to make friends is dependent on taking
insulin every morning (otherwise the diabetic would be dead
or in a coma or something, not making friends.) I don't think
that thought bothers diabetics. Why should the thought
bother people with mood disorders?

I can think of more than one response to this.

1 - it doesn't bother him, it bothers me.

2 - Insulin makes a diabetic feel better. The spectrum of medication
for psychiatric/mood/anxiety disorders (based on anecdotal information)
often does NOT make the person feel better, despite controlling the
targeted symptoms, due to the variety of other, discomfiting effects; in
our case, loss of appetite, sleeplessness, nightmares, increase in
general stress level and fearfulness, and, during the "finding the right
dose" period, acting completely like a speed freak [scary].

Old June 28th 06, 03:56 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Caledonia wrote:

Catherine Woodgold wrote:

[...]

I DEFINITELY would only alter his dosing after talking to his Dr.

Just FYI, though, concerta, ritalin, and all the stimulant-based ADD
medications are supposed to be ok to vary the dosing on non-school days
- they're billed as being completely processed out of the person's
system in a number of hours (which is good, since they do interfere with
sleep.)

Old June 28th 06, 02:07 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

In article ,
Cheri Stryker wrote:

Chookie wrote:
What, just like Type 1 diabetics should learn to deal with it themselves?
Or people with depression?

I might be out of date, but my impression was that the drugs enable the
child to START learning to control himself, not that they do the
job for him.

Chookie, you're getting all adversarial.

Oh dear, that was not my intention. Cathy put it very nicely:
A diabetic's ability to make friends is dependent on taking
insulin every morning (otherwise the diabetic would be dead
or in a coma or something, not making friends.) I don't think
that thought bothers diabetics. Why should the thought
bother people with mood disorders?

I guess this topic is close to
home. So far, with my kid, no, they haven't really had that effect on
him. They've calmed down the "running on the ragged edge" thing: he
doesn't freak out and cry when thwarted (at least not as much....); he
can spend more time on schoolwork (or at least he did, until he got so
bored with the repetition that it practically took tying him to his
chair to get him to do his homework);

What I meant was more like this: Perhaps your DS's brain has never previously
allowed him to gain *experience* in controlling himself, and in so in that
respect he's like a younger child? Now he's is beginning to find out that he
*can* control his emotions/behaviour, but it will be gradual process, as it is
for everyone else. IOW DS needs your guidance to pick up a whole lot of new
skills/ideas.

and he's got a couple friends,
now. That was really all I cared about - him having some friends.

Fantastic! :-DDDD

But, can you see my point? That it bothers me that his being able to
make friends is dependent on him taking a fistful of pills every
morning? No less than if it was some other psychiatric disorder, I feel
bad about it.

Well, yes -- but all it means is that the Concerta is taking away the
whatever-it-is that obscures your DS's attractive qualities. One could say
the same about regular bathing. (I am sure there was a French king who
refused to take his first-ever bath on his wedding eve, on the grounds that it
was unnatural!)

My sister has to put on hearing aids every morning in order to hold down her
job, keep her friends, etc. My sister's childhood was very hard work for Mum,
particularly, because she had to be taught to speak, and I am sure my parents
felt bad that she would have to wear *those things on her ears* for the rest
of her life. Now she has a degree, is a chartered accountant, married, and
pregnant (I am very excited about becoming an auntie!). She's an ordinary
successful person who happens to be deaf. Her difference has receded in our
minds -- it was probably much more salient in her childhood. I am guessing
that it might be like that with your DS too.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old June 28th 06, 06:02 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Chookie wrote:

Her difference has receded in our
minds -- it was probably much more salient in her childhood. I am guessing
that it might be like that with your DS too.

That's just what I'm counting on. [smile] Thanks for being understanding.