Is anyone premature grey?

Old December 16th 03, 05:04 AM
chiam margalit

Default Is anyone premature grey?

OK, I'm paranoid. But DD, age 11, has been getting stray grey hairs
for several years now. Usually only one or two on her head any any
given time, but they're there, and I can't understand why.

I didn't go grey until my late 40's, her father didn't get salt and
pepper until he was almost 50, my father didn't go grey until he was
in his late 50's and never got white hair at all. So what gives?

Marjorie
Old December 16th 03, 05:54 AM
H Schinske

wrote:

OK, I'm paranoid. But DD, age 11, has been getting stray grey hairs
for several years now. Usually only one or two on her head any any
given time, but they're there, and I can't understand why.

Check out
http://www.drgreene.com/21_30.html for some ideas. Basically it can
be perfectly normal, or the result of transient vitamin deficiency that is no
longer present, but it *could* be a sign of something a little more serious
that should be checked out. There are some other syndromes that involve
premature graying that he doesn't mention, but as far as I can make out on
quick Googling, they all seem to be much more serious things that you would
certainly know about by now.

I've known at least one boy who started going a bit gray at puberty. Holden
Caulfield did, too, as I recall, not that a fictional example means much.

Ask around in the family, too. There may be some relatives back a ways on one
side or the other who did go gray prematurely, even though the ones you know
grayed late.

--Helen
Old December 16th 03, 06:08 AM
GI Trekker

Friend of mine didn't go grey at this age, but he started LOSING HIS HAIR in
high school. There was nothing else amiss, and both of his brothers kept their
hair. Hopefully, this is nothing more than a very minor genetic glitch, but I
would suggest checking into it just to be certain.
Old December 16th 03, 06:15 AM
MCranEY05

Marjorie,

I started to get lots of grey hair at age 21. I am now almost 37, and nearly
half grey. I dye my hair, though. LOL.

I like natural hair color, so my hair is dark brown

My grandma was completely grey at 30 yrs of age.

Old December 16th 03, 07:32 AM
Denise

"chiam margalit" wrote in message
om...
OK, I'm paranoid. But DD, age 11, has been getting stray grey hairs
for several years now. Usually only one or two on her head any any
given time, but they're there, and I can't understand why.

I didn't go grey until my late 40's, her father didn't get salt and
pepper until he was almost 50, my father didn't go grey until he was
in his late 50's and never got white hair at all. So what gives?

Marjorie

My sister has had gray hair since she was about 11. My husband started
graying around 14 or so..

Old December 16th 03, 11:09 AM
just me

"chiam margalit" wrote in message
om...
OK, I'm paranoid. But DD, age 11, has been getting stray grey hairs
for several years now. Usually only one or two on her head any any
given time, but they're there, and I can't understand why.

I didn't go grey until my late 40's, her father didn't get salt and
pepper until he was almost 50, my father didn't go grey until he was
in his late 50's and never got white hair at all. So what gives?

My aunt was salt and pepper by the time she graduated from high school. It
does happen, although not often. Does your DD seem bothered by it? Have
you ruled out possible concerning medical problems underlying?

-Aula
--
see my creative works on ebay under http://snurl.com/369o
and on zazzle at http://snurl.com/38oh

Old December 16th 03, 12:43 PM
Jeff

Default Is anyone premature gray?

I would run it by her doctor, but I wouldn't worry.

I have had white hair from about age 17. My brother (an internist) tells me
premature gray hair is a risk factor for heart disease, although I have
never heard it from anyone else.

Jeff

Old December 16th 03, 12:55 PM
Sophie

"chiam margalit" wrote in message
om...
OK, I'm paranoid. But DD, age 11, has been getting stray grey hairs
for several years now. Usually only one or two on her head any any
given time, but they're there, and I can't understand why.

I didn't go grey until my late 40's, her father didn't get salt and
pepper until he was almost 50, my father didn't go grey until he was
in his late 50's and never got white hair at all. So what gives?

Marjorie

I had a friend who said she had tons of grey before she graduated high
school (she dyed her hair). She was also done with menopause by 18. I'd
get it checked out.

At 31 my hairs are not grey, they're *silver*! Thanks goodness for Clairol

Old December 16th 03, 01:03 PM
dejablues

My sis-in-law is 30, and about 25% gray. Her daughter (my niece) is 7 and
has a few gray hairs. Their hair is very very dark brown, almost black
(Italian heritage) Maybe it's genetic.

Old December 16th 03, 01:14 PM
AGreen1209

So what gives?

Marjorie

I have a cousin who was totally gray by the time he was 20 - no one else on
either side of his family has done this, including his two siblings.

Amanda