baby carrier for gardening?

Old April 24th 06, 03:51 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default baby carrier for gardening?

"Amy" wrote in message
oups.com...

toypup wrote:

or in a wading pool filled with balls or toys,

BUT WITHOUT WATER unless you're going to be right there standing over
her at all times.

Amy

Have no fear...I'm already paranoid that family are going to let her drown
on our lake vacation even though she can't even crawl, so someone would have
to put her in the water and walk away, and my family's not that
irresponsible. Fail to notice the overflowing trash can, yes. Leave the
baby in the lake while they get a sandwich, no.....at least until I thought
of that!
Actually, it's my paranoia that has led to the quest to garden while
babywearing. The first time I did it she sat happily in her car seat
watching me. I then walked around the corner of the house to get the hose
and came back. It occurred to me that someone walking by the house (not
much foot traffic, but some), could have scooped her up carrier and all!
The rational part of my brain says that I was out of her sight for less than
10 sec, so a kidnapper wouldn't get far. But, then I got thinking about
what if a stray dog or just loose neighbor's dog came over and bit her. I
do have one of those safety gate systems for outdoors, so I'll have to give
that a try.
I don't think she'll like being separated from me though. OK, I don't think
I'll like being separated from her. I want gardening to be "our
thing"...she has TV with Daddy, so my activity really has to be more
outdoors and active. Once she's sitting up on her own it should get better
and I'll install a baby lo-jack on her.

Thanks for all the advice! I think my next step with be making a stiffer MT
with cotton/canvas/denim. The one I had was flannel and a sort of felt (no
fleece, I just got confused) so it didn't stretch but is very soft and warm.
Now that winter is here, another plan is called for.

Thanks all!
Amy

Old April 24th 06, 06:10 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Amy" wrote in message
oups.com...

toypup wrote:

or in a wading pool filled with balls or toys,

BUT WITHOUT WATER unless you're going to be right there standing over
her at all times.

Well, that's why I said balls or toys.

Old April 24th 06, 01:38 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

__________________________
BUT WITHOUT WATER unless you're going to be right there standing over
her at all times.

Amy
_____________
I was just skimming, killing time before I can get to the shower.
Although I am NOT recommending this,I confess, I actually ( I can feel
the vibes of incredulation) took a dog tie-out cable that I used for
our dog before she got better at not leaving the yard, and wrapped it
around the back of my son's overall straps, then clipped it back to
itself. Okay, I only did it once when I was chucking fallen oranges
into the lake. But I knew where he was!
Jennifer

Old April 24th 06, 02:19 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Bunny wrote:
toypup wrote:

or in a wading pool filled with balls or toys,

__________________________
BUT WITHOUT WATER unless you're going to be right there standing over
her at all times.

Amy
_____________
I was just skimming, killing time before I can get to the shower.
Although I am NOT recommending this,I confess, I actually ( I can feel
the vibes of incredulation) took a dog tie-out cable that I used for
our dog before she got better at not leaving the yard, and wrapped it
around the back of my son's overall straps, then clipped it back to
itself. Okay, I only did it once when I was chucking fallen oranges
into the lake. But I knew where he was!
Jennifer

Simple Twist Of Fate... He uses a huge ribbon to tie his daughter close
to wear he was working. (Steve Martin story based on Silas Marner)

LOL

Jo
Old April 24th 06, 03:14 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Sue wrote:
"V." wrote in message
It just seems too bulky to be useful for gardening when I'll be up and

down.

Hmm, sorry I can't imagine trying to do yard work with a baby attached to
me. I know others said they do it, but it would drive me bonkers and be very
hard for me to get anything done. What I did, was either put them in the
pack-n-play where I was going to be or if they were small enough in the
bouncer seat I had. There were times I strapped them in the stroller also.
Mainly though, I did yard work when they were napping. When they were really
small, I didn't do much gardening besides planting some flowers.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

I haven't done it very often - the bulb planting was a matter of dh had
been watching her inside for a while, and she got restless and wanted
Mommy - and it was one of my few opportunities (time & weather) to get
the bulbs planted, so I just wanted it done.

Trying to weed while she was in the sling was usually a matter of
having her there already while ds wanted to play outside, and me
wanting to get something done other than just standing and watching.
(It's also hard for me to see weeds and not want to do something about
it.)

However, I do draw the line many times. The rose bushes didn't get
pruned for 2 years straight - and it showed! That's definitely one
task I was not willing to do with a baby...

I also have some photos of dd in a big coverall winter coat type of
thing (so big and bulky she could barely move) lying on the grass while
I was doing something or other in the garden. ;-) I've also said that
the most use I've gotten of my baby monitor was for gardening!

Irene

Old May 1st 06, 02:16 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I just tie the MT up higher, pull the rails in real snug and she rises
up. I helped dh lay laminate floor and she watched the whole thing.

Good luck.