"You can't overfeed a breastfed baby"

Old September 27th 04, 01:33 PM
melbgal1

Welches says...
melbgal1 wrote ...

Okay, that's fine.

But now we're introducing solids, I swear he would eat a whole pumpkin
( or whatever ) if I let him. So it is I that ends the session --- or
should I let him dictate this ??

I had that problem with #1. Her weight did rise rapidly as I introduced
solids. However at nearly 4 she's about back on the centile line she left.
I generally limited her feeding to approximately the weight of jars
recommended for that age. ie 125g maincourse then half that for pudding for
lunch and dinner from 4-6 months. then I moved up to the 7 month jar size
(whatever that was) I found keeping a couple of empty jars useful as I knew
that was about the right amount she needed. Once she ate finger foods it was
easier.
I just made sure that I watched snacks and didn't give her too much sweet
stuff.

I'm preparing all his food myself, from fresh fruit & veges.
So 'defrosting how many ice-cubes' is more relevant to me

thanks.

--
Mummy to Bébé B
Born 20.Apr.2004
Old September 27th 04, 01:35 PM
melbgal1

In article ,
Chookie says...
In article ,
melbgal1 wrote:

Okay, that's fine.

But now we're introducing solids, I swear he would eat a whole pumpkin
( or whatever ) if I let him. So it is I that ends the session --- or
should I let him dictate this ??

Take a look at whether the breastfeeds are continuing at the same rate and
level -- solids shouldn't take over from bm at this age. If he eats a whole
pumpkin and stays on the same number/intensity of feeds, that would be fine!

that's basically what's happening - yes.
( which is why I was thinking: is he a pig ?!

Another thing to consider is if it's time to try a thicker texture or finger
food instead. DS went from thin rice cereal to finger food in 7 weeks, and it
would have been sooner if I had understood what he was signalling.

I haven't taken a lot of care in mashing/straining foods, and he's
managed just fine. I don't like to "baby" him

He's enjoyed some rusks this week too. I love to watch him eat &
explore

--
Mummy to Bébé B
Born 20.Apr.2004
Old September 27th 04, 01:39 PM
melbgal1

Ericka Kammerer says...
melbgal1 wrote:

Okay, that's fine.

But now we're introducing solids, I swear he would eat a whole pumpkin
( or whatever ) if I let him. So it is I that ends the session --- or
should I let him dictate this ??

How old is he?

You must have missed my sig ( 5 months old )

--
Mummy to Bébé B
Born 20.Apr.2004