"straining" while pregnant (sorry for topic)

Old June 30th 04, 02:46 AM
Mary Gordon

Default "straining" while pregnant (sorry for topic)

Start upping your fibre uptake now. A lot of people get constipated
during pregnancy, and straining is really not good - you will have
enough pressure on your nether regions and you should take steps now
to avoid having to strain.

Not only will you give yourself 'rroids, but you can make varicose
veins in your labial area (sounds gross, but they do happen from the
pressure of baby leaning on circulation, and you don't need to pop out
anything down there more than it naturally already happens from being
preggo).

I never had a problem in my life until I had babies and oy, vey.

Mary G.
Old June 30th 04, 06:49 AM
MomToN

When I had difficulty in emptying bowel due to pelvic floor muscle
tone, my doc prescribed me a fiber drink to keep the consistency soft.
It really helped me. The fiber drink, though orange flavoured, did not
taste good or rather the texture was yuck bcos it was so dense with
all fiber. But it did the job.

Thanks,
Sreeja

(DL) wrote in message . com...
Hello,

I'm six weeks along with my first and I'm wondering about straining
during bowel movements. Can they cause any harm? I was very blocked
this morning and sleepy (I'm still at that point when every morning I
get to "remember" I'm pregnant), and I really strained before I
realized I probably shouldn't. While I know this can cause
hemorrhoids/etc. - it can't do anything to a healthy embryo, can it?

Any reassurance appreciated. Sorry for the silly-ish question, I'm
just nervous.

Old June 30th 04, 01:34 PM
DL

Thanks all! You definitely got rid of my paranoid worry. My doc
suggested Citrucel (I remember it vaguely from my parent's cupboard)
and yikes - what a diff. I feel like a new person today. =) I'll
try the dried fruit and cereals too - all the leafy greens I eat
aren't doing the trick. Just wanted to make sure the little one was
safe in my sleepy state!

Happy day all,

Donna
Old June 30th 04, 02:03 PM
Jenny D

Default I totally understand

Wow... interesting question because I was thinking the SAME thing!

I'm 5 weeks pg today (just found out ) ) and I had two miscarriages
before I had my son in 2002 so, anything and everything worries me before
week 12!

Honestly, I remember the constipation with my son, and now it is starting
again.

I found that the best thing (if you have the time) is to grab a book or
magazine and just relax. I know it sound's kind of like "DUH" but it's the
only thing that works for me! Sometimes, it's hard with an 18 month old
tugging at my knees or trying to flush the toilet so I just try again later
but seriously, reading always does the job for me.

Of course, when the constipation gets too severe, then reading just won't
cut it.

Good luck.

Old June 30th 04, 02:15 PM
Tori M.

ok is anyone else confused?

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04
.. .

Old June 30th 04, 10:14 PM
Anth

Default Constipation and Linus Pauling/Vit C - was "straining" while pregnant (sorry for topic)

"Todd Gastaldo" wrote in message
ink.net...
CONSTIPATION AND LINUS PAULING/Vit C...
My understanding (someone correct me if I am wrong) is that to find out
how
much Vit C one should take one megadoses to the point of "loose bowels"
then
backs off a bit...That is, one takes Vit C to "bowel tolerance" - I think
that is the phrase used - though hopefully someone will correct me if I am
wrong.

If you look up the the 'dynamic flow model for vitamin c' (which seems to be
the latest buzz) you can a rational for varying bowel tolerance levels
depending on the sickness of the person. (Or you could read Ascorbate by Dr
Steve Hickey & Dr Hilary Roberts)
Anth

Old July 8th 04, 01:52 AM
Larry McMahan

DL writes:
: Hello,

: I'm six weeks along with my first and I'm wondering about straining
: during bowel movements. Can they cause any harm?

Hmmm. Do you call hemmorhoids harm? That is the main danger.

: Can they cause any harm? I was very blocked
: this morning and sleepy (I'm still at that point when every morning I
: get to "remember" I'm pregnant), and I really strained before I
: realized I probably shouldn't. While I know this can cause
: hemorrhoids/etc. - it can't do anything to a healthy embryo, can it?

See above. It won't harm the baby.

: Any reassurance appreciated. Sorry for the silly-ish question, I'm
: just nervous.

If you want any advice, I would say the best thing you can to to
avoid problems is to squat. And don't say you can't. Monika
learned to squat for the first time in her life when she was
pregnant with Clara.

Good luck,
Larry