junior high athletics

Old July 29th 07, 05:11 AM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

Default junior high athletics

I am a college coach. I have coached athletes at
all levels - elementary, junior high, high school, and college. One
of the main problems with our society is the fact we are too scared
hurt people's feelings. Everyone gets a trophy in little league.
That is not right. Why should anyone play harder, work harder, or
strive to improve? Life in competition. If a child can not make an
athletics team they have to work harder so they can make it the
following year or not play. If children are not taught this, they
will do just enough to get by in life. They will not be motivate to
succeed. If there were no winners and losers, we would not keep
score
in sports.

Old July 30th 07, 12:17 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

On Jul 29, 12:11 am, wrote:
I am a college coach. I have coached athletes at
all levels - elementary, junior high, high school, and college. One
of the main problems with our society is the fact we are too scared
hurt people's feelings. Everyone gets a trophy in little league.
That is not right. Why should anyone play harder, work harder, or
strive to improve? Life in competition. If a child can not make an
athletics team they have to work harder so they can make it the
following year or not play. If children are not taught this, they
will do just enough to get by in life. They will not be motivate to
succeed. If there were no winners and losers, we would not keep
score
in sports.

disagree. Sports has become way too competitive at the kid level.
practice every night,
only the best play.. save that for high school age or older. At the
youth level FUN is first,
or at least it should be. Its not anymore. kids sports are way over
the top. it's like every team
out there considers themselves a farm team for the major leagues.

i'm a coach too, but only at the youth level. I am disgusted by some
of the parental
behavior i see week after week.

Old July 30th 07, 01:31 PM posted to misc.kids
Rob

wrote:
I am a college coach. I have coached athletes at
all levels - elementary, junior high, high school, and college. One
of the main problems with our society is the fact we are too scared
hurt people's feelings. Everyone gets a trophy in little league.
That is not right. Why should anyone play harder, work harder, or
strive to improve? Life in competition. If a child can not make an
athletics team they have to work harder so they can make it the
following year or not play. If children are not taught this, they
will do just enough to get by in life. They will not be motivate to
succeed. If there were no winners and losers, we would not keep
score
in sports.

I don't know about giving trophies to everybody.

At school every Wednesday afternoon we had sport and I hated it.
The humiliation of nobody wanting you in their team.
Nobody took any interest in helping me.

My father had an interest in tennis. He paid for tuition but I don't
remember what the problem was maybe I did not have the natural aptitude
or maybe I did not have the right attitude.
One thing is for sure I did not have fun.

Then the Martial Arts craze hit. Combat arts were far more honest to
me so called team sports like football trying to slip a punch and a kick
in when the ref was not watching.

I started with with Karate As I moved I had join new clubs, Kung Fu Muay
Thai. I expanded my interests to Boxing and evenually became a Boxing
coach at local youth club.

I taught a kids class and an adults class. The previous trainer used
to size every one that walked in
You are too tall
You are too short
You are too fat
You are too old
You are too young
You are a girl (Female boxing matches are illegal here)
And only used to train their select group.

I said to hell with that, we are a community orgainisation they paid
their money - I trained everybody (I got no money I was a volunteer).

I got my focus pads, belly pad and head gear and called each in turn in
the ring.

While the rest trained on the medium to heavy bags.

I told each person what they did well. (They all did something well).
I gave each them a combination that they could practice on the bags and
tips to improve.

There are plenty of people that have forgotten more about boxing than I
will ever know, but I am sure that I made a positive difference to a lot
peoples lives.

I wish I had that experience in my early school days.

Old July 30th 07, 01:49 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

On Jul 28, 11:11 pm, wrote:
I am a college coach. I have coached athletes at
all levels - elementary, junior high, high school, and college. One
of the main problems with our society is the fact we are too scared
hurt people's feelings. Everyone gets a trophy in little league.
That is not right. Why should anyone play harder, work harder, or
strive to improve? Life in competition. If a child can not make an
athletics team they have to work harder so they can make it the
following year or not play. If children are not taught this, they
will do just enough to get by in life. They will not be motivate to
succeed. If there were no winners and losers, we would not keep
score
in sports.

I agree with you but that's not the trend today, and it's hurting us.

Athletics [email protected] General 5 July 31st 07 12:02 AM
Athletics [email protected] General 0 July 29th 07 04:59 AM
Junior Phonics Mary E. Hill General 9 September 10th 04 09:14 PM
Junior High Athletics Marnie General 19 April 1st 04 07:35 PM
Bye-Bye, Junior High? [email protected] General 0 August 28th 03 05:35 PM