"straining" while pregnant (sorry for topic)

Old June 29th 04, 06:10 PM
DL

Default "straining" while pregnant (sorry for topic)

Hello,

I'm six weeks along with my first and I'm wondering about straining
during bowel movements. Can they cause any harm? I was very blocked
this morning and sleepy (I'm still at that point when every morning I
get to "remember" I'm pregnant), and I really strained before I
realized I probably shouldn't. While I know this can cause
hemorrhoids/etc. - it can't do anything to a healthy embryo, can it?

Any reassurance appreciated. Sorry for the silly-ish question, I'm
just nervous.
Old June 29th 04, 06:47 PM
Leigh Menconi

"DL" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I'm six weeks along with my first and I'm wondering about straining
during bowel movements. Can they cause any harm? I was very blocked
this morning and sleepy (I'm still at that point when every morning I
get to "remember" I'm pregnant), and I really strained before I
realized I probably shouldn't. While I know this can cause
hemorrhoids/etc. - it can't do anything to a healthy embryo, can it?

Any reassurance appreciated. Sorry for the silly-ish question, I'm
just nervous.

Probably the only bad side-effect would be hemorrhoids which can get pretty
bad towards the end of the pregnancy so if you start 6w I can't imagine what
it'd be like at, say, 35w. If you're taking an iron supplement or prenatal
with lots of iron, you might want to ask the doctor if there's one that
won't cause constipation (I think time-release "slow-fe" is less likely to).

Leigh

Old June 29th 04, 08:20 PM
Bóliath

DL wrote:
Hello,

I'm six weeks along with my first and I'm wondering about straining
during bowel movements. Can they cause any harm? I was very blocked
this morning and sleepy (I'm still at that point when every morning I
get to "remember" I'm pregnant), and I really strained before I
realized I probably shouldn't. While I know this can cause
hemorrhoids/etc. - it can't do anything to a healthy embryo, can it?

No harm to the baby at all.

Any reassurance appreciated. Sorry for the silly-ish question, I'm
just nervous.

It's not a a silly question at all, the bathroom has become a mystery
tour for me since I got pregnant! I had very very bad constipation from
about wk 6-14, there are a couple of things you can do to help yourself...

1. check your pre natal vitamin, it could have too much iron for your
system to cope with right now, I stopped taking it and went back to my
old daily vitamin for a while - with doc approval

2. drown thine enemy, water water and more water, helps keeps things
soft and moving

3. this was probably the best piece of advice I got - rick and roll baby
- while on the loo rock yourself, slightly a lot whatever suits you, I
found just rocking my hips sideways for a while helped, I'm not sure why
or how it works but it does

4. try not to strain, I know I know it's difficult not to but it can
cause hemorrhoids - believe me you do not want them! and in my case
caused some vaginal bleeding at 14 weeks which sent me panicking to the
docs office.

5. when you do manage to 'go' make sure you empty completely, take as
long as you need (bring a book ) you'd be surprised at how often
there's a second delivery or even a third if you wait a while!

I know it's a horrible feeling, try to drown it with water or eat a ton
of watermelon, if all else fails which is my case it did, ask your doc
to recommend a mild laxative, I used metamucil, it only took one dose
and yippee. I still use it from time to time, maybe once every 2 weeks
or so when I know I'm in trouble and it really helps.

Good luck, congratulations on your pregnancy and best wishes for a happy
healthy 9 months!

Bo

Old June 29th 04, 08:54 PM
Sunshine

"DL" wrote in message
Any reassurance appreciated. Sorry for the silly-ish question, I'm
just nervous.

I found that if I ate more fiber and increased my water intake I had a mush
smoother time, even when I was on iron pills. I made sure I had cereal every
morning that was high in fiber. Good luck!

--
Sunshine and the baby bean- It's a boy!
edd 7-4-04

Old June 29th 04, 10:41 PM
Todd Gastaldo

Default Constipation and Linus Pauling/Vit C - was "straining" while pregnant (sorry for topic)

CONSTIPATION AND LINUS PAULING/Vit C...

I am NOT saying here that I know Prof. Linus Pauling was right about Vit C;
but I have read of amazing things happening with the MEGAdoses Linus Pauling
recommended.

A constipation anecdote...

The chemist Bernard Coyle, PhD invited Prof. Pauling to speak at Palmer-West
Chiropractic College years ago and I happened to be visiting the day he
spoke.

My distinct recollection is that Prof. Pauling pointed out that the only bad
side-effect of Vit C was "loose bowels." (If I am wrong about this being the
only bad side-effect I hope someone will correct me.)

Prof. Pauling sort of smirked as he added that "loose bowels" is a GOOD
side-effect if you are constipated.

He recommended Vit C crystals I think - not pills. Just stir them into
juice.

My understanding (someone correct me if I am wrong) is that to find out how
much Vit C one should take one megadoses to the point of "loose bowels" then
backs off a bit...That is, one takes Vit C to "bowel tolerance" - I think
that is the phrase used - though hopefully someone will correct me if I am
wrong.

I myself used megadoses of Vit C to relieve constipation - until I stopped
*having* constipation after taking up the habit of making a huge delicious
salad everyday. (I later discovered that a huge, delicious salad - and
eating plenty - is Step One on the calorie restriction optimal
nutrition/CRON diet of the late Roy Walford, MD. NOTE: Roy's CRON life
extension diet itself is not recommended in pregnancy - but I'll bet he
would have recommended to pregnant women his Step One huge delicious salads
and eating plenty - someone correct me if I am wrong.)

I still megadose with Vit C occasionally - not continuously - which is not
in accord with Prof. Pauling's practice of constant megadosing (at least I
think he megadosed daily).

Vit C MIGHT cause "loose bowels" (relieve constipation) during pregnancy -
and I don't think there are any side effects - but - of course - consult a
licensed health professional knowledgeable about megadose Vit C therapy
before taking megadoses to relieve constipation.

If you can't find a licensed health professional knowledgeable about
megadose Vit C therapy, I believe some of them are listed at Dr. Andrew
Saul's website: www.doctoryourself.com.

Dr. Saul says on his Pregnancy and Lactation page:

"Constipation is quite common during gestation. It is also quite easy to
avoid (how-to information posted elsewhere on this website)."
http://www.doctoryourself.com/pregnancy_lactation.html

Dr. Saul also says (same page):

"[C]ontact Todd Gastaldo, D.C. for postural
information that can help to insure that MDs and CN Midwives don't
complicate delivery by closing the birth canal by up to 30%."

Which brings me to my usual public service announcement...

PREGNANT WOMEN: For simple PROOF that OBs are knowingly closing birth
canals - and simple instructions on how to allow your birth canal to OPEN
the "extra" up to 30%...

See I ain't no Semmelweis, but...

Who knows - maybe someday Dr. Saul will put in a link to his constipation
information.

Who knows - maybe someday Dr. Saul will put in a link to my simple
instructions on how to allow the birth canal to open the "extra" up to 30%.

One can only hope.

Thanks for reading.

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

Copied to Dr. Andrew Saul via
. Great website
Andy!

Old June 29th 04, 11:22 PM
Bóliath

Sunshine wrote:

I found that if I ate more fiber and increased my water intake I had a mush

Sorry that cracked me up LOL I know you meant much but mush is so
appropriate

smoother time, even when I was on iron pills. I made sure I had cereal every
morning that was high in fiber. Good luck!

good advice, I also started eating Raisin Bran every day and think it
has helped.

Old June 29th 04, 11:57 PM
Sunshine

"Bóliath" wrote in message
Sunshine wrote:

I found that if I ate more fiber and increased my water intake I had a

mush

Sorry that cracked me up LOL I know you meant much but mush is so
appropriate

Yeah- I saw that after I sent it. Oops... :-)

smoother time, even when I was on iron pills. I made sure I had cereal

every
morning that was high in fiber. Good luck!

good advice, I also started eating Raisin Bran every day and think it
has helped.

I went with mini wheats and more fruit. Whatever works!

Old June 30th 04, 12:09 AM
Donna Metler

"Sunshine" wrote in message

"Bóliath" wrote in message
Sunshine wrote:

I found that if I ate more fiber and increased my water intake I had a

mush

Sorry that cracked me up LOL I know you meant much but mush is so
appropriate

Yeah- I saw that after I sent it. Oops... :-)

smoother time, even when I was on iron pills. I made sure I had cereal

every
morning that was high in fiber. Good luck!

good advice, I also started eating Raisin Bran every day and think it
has helped.

I went with mini wheats and more fruit. Whatever works!

Dried fruit seems to really help me-and also satisfies the craving for
something sweet.

Old June 30th 04, 12:11 AM
Donna Metler

Vitamin C therapy (along with other antioxidants) is one of the things that
seems to reduce the incidence of recurrent pre-eclampsia. And I can say that
being on antioxidant therapy as well as being on extra iron doesn't seem to
mitigate the affects of the iron, at least not in my experience.