Implantation bleeding? (x-posted)

Old July 31st 03, 07:58 AM
andrea

Default Implantation bleeding? (x-posted)

Hi I had unprotected intercourse 22 days and 18 days ago. I know this was
silly, and my husband and I haven't slipped up since.
I posted about having had period pain but no bleeding with egg-white mucus,
and I wasn't sure if it was ovulation or an impending period.
The period pain is still there, but yesterday I had what looked just like a
bloody show. Only a small amount. I have had nothing since, and I even put
on a pad thinking my period was gonna start. But it didn't.
I am now wondering if this could be implantation bleeding? I am asking as I
have never experienced it before with any of my other pregnancies.
Would the timing from the intercourse to the bloody show be right?
I always had unprotected sex while breastfeeding my others. My doc told me
it was ok to use as contraception as long as the baby fed every 4 hours day
and night.
Kamron has very big gaps between his feedings.
With baby number 1 my periods returned like clockwork. But with all the
others periods didn't return until breastfeeding had stopped.

If I was pregnant this baby would be loved just as much as the others.

Any advice would be great.

--
Andrea mom of -
Peter 7, Ellie 5, Alden 3, Joseph 21 mths & little munchie man Kamron 8

Old July 31st 03, 12:35 PM
Linz

"andrea" wrote in message

Any advice would be great.

Go and get a pregnancy test - you will either know that you aren't or that
you are, and either way I think this knowledge would be useful!

Old July 31st 03, 02:54 PM
Astromum

andrea wrote:
I always had unprotected sex while breastfeeding my others. My doc told me
it was ok to use as contraception as long as the baby fed every 4 hours day
and night.

Oh Andrea, I'm sorry to say that your doc is wrong. My cousin got
pregnant that way and currently it is adviced always to use additional
contraception while breastfeeding. Although breastfeeding reduces your
chance of getting pregnant, it is in no way a reliable contraceptive.

Any advice would be great.

Well, the only way to be sure is to do a test. Since it would then be
22 days past ovulation (if it occured), you could test positive at this
stage if you are pregnant.

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)

Old July 31st 03, 04:22 PM
andrea

"Mary W." wrote in message

Breastfeeding can be a reliable method of birth control, if you
follow the guidelines. Which include no artificial nipples (no
bottles, no pacifiers) and baby feeding frequently (can't remember
the rules on this). Baby must also be less than 6 months old.

See for more information on LAM:

http://breastfeeding.com/reading_room/lam.html

Although there are exceptions, if LAM is followed it is
quite effective (98%?, something like that).

Mary

Thanks ever so much for the link Mary! I am allergic to condoms, and the
pill makes me act like I have PMT permanently!
I am evil on the pill! Last time I was on it my DH threatened me with
divorce I was so bad!
Also my doc said it's a no-no due to being a migraine sufferer, as it
increases the risk of stroke.
So using breastfeeding would be great if we could pull it off. I guess I
have been very lucky not yo get pregnant while breastfeeding the others,
however as soon as the babies were weaned 10-12 months old my periods came
back.

--
Andrea mom of -
Peter 7, Ellie 5, Alden 3, Joseph 21 mths & little munchie man Kamron 8
weeks weighing 14 lbs!
Married to David since 2000.

Old July 31st 03, 06:49 PM
Astromum

Mary W. wrote:

Astromum wrote:

Oh Andrea, I'm sorry to say that your doc is wrong. My cousin got
pregnant that way and currently it is adviced always to use additional
contraception while breastfeeding. Although breastfeeding reduces your
chance of getting pregnant, it is in no way a reliable contraceptive.

Breastfeeding can be a reliable method of birth control, if you
follow the guidelines. Which include no artificial nipples (no
bottles, no pacifiers) and baby feeding frequently (can't remember
the rules on this). Baby must also be less than 6 months old.

It seems this works fine for young infants if they are nursed at
least every four hours, but what if you make a mistake? How strong
is the effect of having the baby sleep for 6 hours once? Or twice?
Why would the maximum length of sleep during the day be different
than the maximum lenght of sleep at night? What if this was reversed?

I'd be very reluctant to use this as a contraceptive method, even
if I did know for sure I follow the guidelines. At least until I
am sure that one slip doesn't immediately reduce the effectiveness.

Old July 31st 03, 07:09 PM
Henrietta Louise

I really can't be of any help here, but I hope you get the outcome you
want.

Regards,
Henrietta
#4's edd: March 22, 2004

Old July 31st 03, 07:17 PM
Mary W.

Astromum wrote:

Mary W. wrote:

Astromum wrote:

Oh Andrea, I'm sorry to say that your doc is wrong. My cousin got
pregnant that way and currently it is adviced always to use additional
contraception while breastfeeding. Although breastfeeding reduces your
chance of getting pregnant, it is in no way a reliable contraceptive.

Breastfeeding can be a reliable method of birth control, if you
follow the guidelines. Which include no artificial nipples (no
bottles, no pacifiers) and baby feeding frequently (can't remember
the rules on this). Baby must also be less than 6 months old.

It seems this works fine for young infants if they are nursed at
least every four hours, but what if you make a mistake? How strong
is the effect of having the baby sleep for 6 hours once? Or twice?
Why would the maximum length of sleep during the day be different
than the maximum lenght of sleep at night? What if this was reversed?

I don't know the answers to these questions. If I were to rely
on LAM for birth control I would certainly make sure I understood
the method completely and followed it carefully. There are plenty
of resources out there for someone who is interested, and I was
just pointing out that LAM is an effective form of BC, but you have
to follow the rules (and, as with any method, there are exceptions,
we've all heard of babies being conceived while someone was on
the pill. Doesn't mean it isn't an effective form of BC).
And Andrea's doctor gave her bad advice, she
was not following the rules and therefore shouldn't be relying on LAM for
BC. I didn't follow the rules either and probably shouldn't have relied
on LAM, but having a second child close to our first would have
been an OK consequence for us, so it didn't concern me much.
Turns out my cycle didn't return until DD was 10 months and I had
plenty of signs that ovulation was coming, so we were able to
take the appropriate steps. We've successfully been using natural
family planning for the last 16 months and DD just weaned.
..
I'd be very reluctant to use this as a contraceptive method, even
if I did know for sure I follow the guidelines. At least until I
am sure that one slip doesn't immediately reduce the effectiveness.

Agreed. But I'd make sure I knew this information about any
contraceptive method I chose.

Mary

Old July 31st 03, 08:29 PM
Astromum

Mary W. wrote:

And Andrea's doctor gave her bad advice, she
was not following the rules and therefore shouldn't be relying on LAM

That's what bothered me too.

I thought yours was a very interesting post, especially since
in Dutch prenatal classes there is a lot of emphasis on BF not
being reliable contraception *at all*. These studies clearly
show that isn't true, and I will keep it in mind when/if the
next bub arrives!

Natural family planning always requires a lot of caution, but
I agree that with proper discipline and education it can be
very effective, and as a bonus you avoid all the nasty hormonal
methods...

Old July 31st 03, 08:50 PM
Mary W.

Astromum wrote:

Mary W. wrote:

And Andrea's doctor gave her bad advice, she
was not following the rules and therefore shouldn't be relying on LAM

That's what bothered me too.

Yeah, it was lousy advice, with serious consequences.

I thought yours was a very interesting post, especially since
in Dutch prenatal classes there is a lot of emphasis on BF not
being reliable contraception *at all*. These studies clearly
show that isn't true, and I will keep it in mind when/if the
next bub arrives!

Its a fine line to walk. LAM can be reliable, but you have
to know the rules and follow them. There are alot of women
who think that because their baby is BF'd they can't get
pregnant. My neighbor was shocked that she got pregnant
when her daughter was 9 months old because she was
BFing. Well, at 9 months, LAM is no longer effective and
you have to use something else. So she was clearly misinformed.
I just wanted to keep the LAM option open for a new
BFing mom. Especially if you want to avoid hormonal
BC (which I do).

Natural family planning always requires a lot of caution, but
I agree that with proper discipline and education it can be
very effective, and as a bonus you avoid all the nasty hormonal
methods...

That's one of the reasons I love it.

Mary

Old July 31st 03, 10:51 PM
Daye

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 15:22:43 GMT, "andrea"
wrote:

I am allergic to condoms, and the
pill makes me act like I have PMT permanently!

I am allergic to condoms too. I saw something in a magazine the other
day about a new condom. It is made from something, but it isn't
latex. It is as effective as latex condoms, but since it isn't made
from latex, allergic people can use them.

I can't remember the name of them, but it might be worth looking in
to.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan