Weird reaction to Goldfish

Old March 4th 04, 09:43 PM
Jo

Default Weird reaction to Goldfish

My two-year-old son's daycare teachers told me a couple of weeks ago
that he was fine in the morning, and then suddenly after the
mid-morning snack started behaving "crazy"--running, not listening,
really hyper. Since the teacher said that it happened right after the
snack, I asked what they ate. She mentioned several things he eats
regularly and Goldfish snacks.

Today, the teachers said the same thing happened, and... they had
Goldfish for snack again. Now, I know that my son does not have
allergies to peanuts or anything like that, but it seems that an
ingredient in Goldfish makes him really wild.

Has anyone heard of such a thing?

thanks
Jo
Old March 4th 04, 10:07 PM
toypup

"Jo" wrote in message
om...
My two-year-old son's daycare teachers told me a couple of weeks ago
that he was fine in the morning, and then suddenly after the
mid-morning snack started behaving "crazy"--running, not listening,
really hyper. Since the teacher said that it happened right after the
snack, I asked what they ate. She mentioned several things he eats
regularly and Goldfish snacks.

Today, the teachers said the same thing happened, and... they had
Goldfish for snack again. Now, I know that my son does not have
allergies to peanuts or anything like that, but it seems that an
ingredient in Goldfish makes him really wild.

Has anyone heard of such a thing?

No. Give him some at home and see what happens for yourself.

Old March 4th 04, 10:10 PM
GI Trekker

You might want to ask "which type"? There are several cheese versions, more
highly spiced flavors, and those hideous multi-colored ones, which must use so
much food coloring you wonder if you can taste anything else.
Old March 4th 04, 10:11 PM
iphigenia

Jo wrote:

Has anyone heard of such a thing?

If they're offering the ones that come in red and purple, the red dye might
be causing him to get hyper.

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net

Old March 4th 04, 10:25 PM
Donna Metler

"Jo" wrote in message
om...
My two-year-old son's daycare teachers told me a couple of weeks ago
that he was fine in the morning, and then suddenly after the
mid-morning snack started behaving "crazy"--running, not listening,
really hyper. Since the teacher said that it happened right after the
snack, I asked what they ate. She mentioned several things he eats
regularly and Goldfish snacks.

Today, the teachers said the same thing happened, and... they had
Goldfish for snack again. Now, I know that my son does not have
allergies to peanuts or anything like that, but it seems that an
ingredient in Goldfish makes him really wild.

Has anyone heard of such a thing?

thanks
Jo

FD&C yellow #5 can cause hyperactivity in some children, and is one of the
things which can, if eliminated from the diet, sometimes drastically change
behavior. It might be worth it to check the label.

Old March 5th 04, 01:41 AM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

A surprising number of children become hyperactive or out-of-control
when under the influence of artificial colors or flavors. FD&C red #40
is a common culprit, but individuals react ... individually. Other
foods can cause the same symptoms, but less commonly.

It's not exactly an "allergic" reaction, but it's still not a pleasant
one.

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old March 5th 04, 02:41 PM
enigma

Nan wrote in
:

On 4 Mar 2004 23:33:28 GMT, enigma
wrote:

(GI Trekker) wrote in
:

You might want to ask "which type"? There are several
cheese versions, more highly spiced flavors, and those
hideous multi-colored ones, which must use so much food
coloring you wonder if you can taste anything else.

the multicolor Goldfish use only natural colors, annatto &
carmine. both can cause allergic reactions. hyperactivity
isn't a signal for allergy, i don't think.
lee

I can't compare to the plain Goldfish, but the bag of color
ones we have lists Red 40, Red 3, Blue 2, Blue 1 and Yellow
6. I have no idea if any of these would contribute to a
reaction, though.

oh yeah! those certainly would!
they must have changed the colored ones from when they first
came out though. the ones i bought listed only annatto, beet &
carmine as coloring agents (which explained why they were only
shades of yellow to purple, no blues or greens). carmine is
made from ground beetles & annatto is a plant extract & i know
both of those can cause allergic reactions. i suppose beet
extract could too, but i don't know anyone with a beet
allergy.
the chemical colorings aren't likely to cause a true allergic
reaction (which can only be caused by a protein) but they sure
*can* cause hyperactivity & other reactions, like headache or
nausea.
i didn't like the colored Goldfish & neither did Boo, so if
we buy Goldfish it's either the pretzel or regular cheddar.
starting next year, Goldfish will be available without any
transfats. w00t!
lee
Old March 5th 04, 06:23 PM
Robyn Kozierok

On 5 Mar 2004 13:41:07 GMT, enigma wrote:
we buy Goldfish it's either the pretzel or regular cheddar.
starting next year, Goldfish will be available without any
transfats. w00t!

Cool. We just found Annie's bunny-shaped cheese crackers that are made
with organic wheat and without trans fats. They taste like goldfish
;-) My kids like them. They are a little more expensive.

--Robyn

Bad vaccine reaction chiam margalit General 22 July 15th 05 11:57 PM
weird vomiting Nevermind General 15 March 4th 04 10:22 PM
Help! Baby-Oil reaction on 2-Month old ??? MJT General 1 October 22nd 03 03:40 AM
Weird feelings. Shana General 0 September 24th 03 04:00 PM