Travel to Mexico in 3rd trimester?

Old November 5th 04, 11:17 PM
aj

Default Travel to Mexico in 3rd trimester?

Does anyone know if it is safe to travel to Mexico (Cancun) at 31 weeks
pregnant? I plan on asking my OB at my next appointment, but I wondered if
anyone had any thoughts ahead of time. I think there are vaccines involved,
the safety of which seems to be unknown, as far as I can tell from searching
the web.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old November 5th 04, 11:35 PM
Donna Metler

My biggest concern would be making sure you have health coverage if
something goes wrong outside of the country. We weren't in Cancun, but I
don't recall any extra vaccinations being required to go to Playa del Carmen
two years ago (or to Puerto Rico last year), but I do recall needing to get
a supplemental insurance package, just in case something went wrong, so that
DH or I could be treated without huge OOP expenses-and be transported back
to the USA-and that this was MUCH more of a concern in Mexico than in Puerto
Rico.

Also, depending on where you're coming from and how you're getting there,
you may want to talk to him about support stockings and exercises for DVT
prevention, since that could potentially be a pretty long flight.

And, obviously, be careful about what you eat-even in Playa del Carmen,
bottled water was recommended, as was avoiding some of the seafood-even
while not pregnant.

Old November 6th 04, 12:12 PM
Zaz

Like Donna said, my main concern would be about the food. The last resort I
was at had a filtered water system, so that was not a problem.

Have a nice trip! - oh, I'd love to join you!

Old November 6th 04, 03:31 PM
Cathy Weeks

"aj" wrote in message news:VRTid.369638$D%.11955@attbi_s51...
Does anyone know if it is safe to travel to Mexico (Cancun) at 31 weeks
pregnant? I plan on asking my OB at my next appointment, but I wondered if
anyone had any thoughts ahead of time. I think there are vaccines involved,
the safety of which seems to be unknown, as far as I can tell from searching
the web.

I wouldn't. I don't know how far along you are, but at 31 weeks, I
had little energy, and curling up in bed at home sounded awfully nice.

As for safety - plenty of pregnant women in Mexico make it safely to
birth, so, other than perhaps drinking bottled water (mostly because
you're system won't be used to the local water, not because Cancun
water is likely to be bad).

Just my .02

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01
Old November 7th 04, 07:52 AM
Jamie Clark

I live in CA, and I don't think we ever had vaccines needed when we traveled
to Mexico.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old November 7th 04, 05:40 PM
Elle

"aj" wrote in message news:VRTid.369638$D%.11955@attbi_s51...
Does anyone know if it is safe to travel to Mexico (Cancun) at 31 weeks
pregnant? I plan on asking my OB at my next appointment, but I wondered if
anyone had any thoughts ahead of time. I think there are vaccines involved,
the safety of which seems to be unknown, as far as I can tell from searching
the web.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I don't think there are vaccines required for Cancun.

How long are you going for? You might want to check with the airline
to make sure they'll board you; you likely will need a letter from
your OB stating your due date.

Also check your insurance, just in case you have an emergency.

Oh and if you go bring LOTS of sunscreen -- I don't know about
everyone else but I was way more sensitive to the sun this summer. You
wouldn't want to get sunburned.

Elle
Old November 7th 04, 05:58 PM
aj

Thanks for everyone for their advice on the trip. I'm 22 weeks now, and
it's not like we would ever plan a trip for that late in my pregnancy, but
it's my husband's (free!) company trip. That's why it's so tempting

Old November 10th 04, 04:13 PM
Kaybee

I'm 30 weeks today and just flew back from Miami to Philadelphia
yesterday. FWIW not one single airline-employed person commented on or
asked about my pregnancy on the trip down or the trip up, and believe me -
it was QUITE OBVIOUS. I did of course have a note with me, but it was not
needed.

leave it up to them not caring. go figure...heeh

Kay

h.

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD