Opinions please, re NIP (long)

Old June 20th 06, 02:24 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Opinions please, re NIP (long)

wrote in message
If you don't want to see boobs or hear about breastfeeding, WHY exactly
are you here?

Because the OP was cross-posted.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old June 20th 06, 02:38 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Sue wrote:
wrote in message

If you don't want to see boobs or hear about breastfeeding, WHY exactly
are you here?

Because the OP was cross-posted.

My newsreader shows the original post only being posted here, I've
checked it a couple times.

Michelle
Flutist
Old June 20th 06, 02:41 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

cjra wrote:

er, my experience in many (though not all) countries outside the US
would suggest this is not the *world's* problem, but predominantly a
prudish American (and perhaps British) problem.

Exactly. My sister who just got back from, among other places,
Ecuador, says people whip it out for three year olds there all the
time, and no one skips a beat.

Cultures vary so broadly just across the US! It would never have
occured to me that people wouldn't take drinks out by the pool; our
government is constantly running public service ads *reminding* people
to take drinks with them when they're swimming to avoid dehydration...

--
C, mama to three year old nursling

Old June 20th 06, 04:28 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

CY wrote:

Anyway, here is the new bill that passed recently for our state (lot of
legal jargon)

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/legtext...ls/hb2376p.pdf

And a link to Amy Miliron's website (who is responsible for getting this
bill
passed)http://www.healthyfoodhealthychildre...ion/index.html

Do you think I should write to him and include this bill? Or write over his
head? Or not write at all?

Although I would've been ****ed off, too, from a legal standpoint, I
don't know that you've got much to stand on, unfortunately.

The only statute on the books in Arizona dealing with BFing is the one
you gave a link to, and all it does is protect you from criminal
prosecution for indecent exposure. Although after a quick look, I
didn't find a U.S. Supreme Court or 9th Circuit (Arizona's federal
circuit) case addressing it directly, most federal cases have
interpreted those laws to still protect business owner's rights to ask
you to cover up or leave.

For instance, one federal case supported a Wal-mart (which is, in the
eyes of the law, probably more "public" than your YMCA, because no
membership fee is required to go in there -- ANYONE can go into
Wal-Mart) in asking a nursing mom to cover up or nurse in the restroom.
The case explicitly said it was -not- sex discrimination.

I think writing a letter or complaining is still entirely appropriate.
BUT, I don't think you're getting much help from the law. Sorry. :-(

Good luck!

-Carlye
DS 6-2-06
DD 9-29-04

Old June 20th 06, 07:15 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"CY" wrote in message
Nope - I only posted it here...

Ooops. Sorry my mistake. I read the top part wrong.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old June 20th 06, 07:23 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Caledonia" wrote in message
oups.com...
Here, most pools have big signs that say "NO FOOD OR DRINK IN POOL
AREA."

*LOL*

Not.Here. There are *very* few places here that won't allow at least a water
bottle, especially near someplace like a pool where you're exposed a lot.
Even the public transportation allows liquids, and in the three years I've
been in college out here, we were even allowed (sealed and stashed) drinks
in chemistry labs and regular drinks elsewhere.

NTITOI, I think even in court out here, you're allowed a water bottle.

Jess

Old June 20th 06, 09:48 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Caledonia" wrote in message

Are you in AZ or NM? (I figured out, a few posts ago, that the pool in
question is outdoors...hey, it takes me a while.)

Yes, we are in (hot as hell!!) AZ.

Here, most pools have big signs that say "NO FOOD OR DRINK IN POOL
AREA."

Hmm, I don't recall seeing that sign, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.
I'll have to take a closer look next time I am there, whippin' 'em out, lol!