Opinions please, re NIP (long)

Old June 15th 06, 03:06 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Opinions please, re NIP (long)

"Caledonia" wrote in message
oups.com...

FlowerGirl wrote:
"CY" wrote in message

"MareCat" wrote in message

I think I'd do this, too. Knowing that I was well within my rights

to do
so, I would just ignore that director and feed my child right at the

pool
if he was hungry. Not only would I be ready with what to say if

anyone
approached me again, but I would also have printed copies of the law

hand out.

Mary

I have thought about this, but here's where I am nervous. Isn't the

YMCA
considered private property, and aren't they allowd to make rules at

whim?
I mean, if I don't like their rules, they can just escort me out for

not
following them can't they? I guess that's what I am fuzzy on. If AZ
protects nursing mothers against indecent exposure laws, does that

mean I
can nurse as discreetly or not, as I desire? And whereever I want? I
coudn't find anything specific in that bill that said anything about
public/private property. Did anyone else?

I don't know about the US, but here (Oz) pretty much anywhere that is

not a
private home can't override our anti-discrimination laws.
Amanda

Out of curiosity, are there no private clubs there?

Certainly there are - sporting clubs etc.
But they aren't allowed to discriminate on the basis of sex, sexual
preference, ethnicity, or on family (which covers bf mothers). ... and I'm
sure on a couple of other points which I can't think of.
I think there may be a couple of "men's clubs" which somehow stick to the
"no female members" rule, but I don't know how they get around the law.
The law is slightly different for each state I think, but they are similar.

Cheers
Amanda

Old June 15th 06, 03:10 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
But in the specific case of breastmilk, one could argue that the milk
would
be taken into the pool with the Mum anyway. So unless the YMCA wanted

start banning bf mothers from getting into the pool, I don't know that
they
could ban too much.

I would tend to agree, though I know myself that I almost never leak,
whereas until DD was about 9 months old, a feed could result in a shower

of
milk over anything, or anyone!

I know I leaked plenty with DD (but not DS). ....and I went swimming
with the kids plenty of times. .... but when you think about it, swim
nappies don't *really* tend to contain baby-pee that well either

I was under the impression that the blokes problem was in the OP not

being
"discreet" and it being a "family place" and I do think the bloke needs

know that asking a bf mother to move on "discreetness" reasons is not

OK.
Again, my 2c

absolutely, I'm definitely with that not being on,

Oh I know where you're coming from - I'm just trying to cover all the bases
for the OP
Amanda

Old June 15th 06, 10:57 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

CY wrote:
I was at our local YMCA today and in the pool when my 1 yr old son became
hungry.

snip

Next time bring a towel with you and cover up your tit. Problem
solved.

sense...

-L.

Old June 15th 06, 12:20 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

In article .com,
"L." wrote:

Next time bring a towel with you and cover up your tit. Problem
solved.

LOL, ya reckon? If the manager is the kind of prude I think he is, no way!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old June 15th 06, 01:46 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Caledonia wrote:
Jess wrote:

"Caledonia" wrote in message
groups.com...

Out of curiosity, are there no private clubs there?

There are-golf clubs and the life. It's just the Y that CY is talking about
isn't necessarily private-some of the benefits might be available only to
paying members, but the club itself is open to the public.

After a quick search, I couldn't conclusively find out if the Y was a
public or private institution which made 'public accomodations.' Do you
know?

Ironically enough, YMCA stands for Young Men Christian's Association. Am I
the only one amused at a director of a Christian institution telling a
breastfeeding mother to move?

Jess

I find little amusing about the Y -- several YMCAs in the south did not
allow black people to join or they actively practiced racial
segregation in their activities up through the 1960's. And there's
still issues in those states that don't recognize gay marriage for
defining a 'family' (e.g., the family membership) as being comprised of
opposite sex members. (Sorry, had to add that -- legalizing gay
marriage is one of the things I'm proudest of MA for...)

Caledonia

It wasn't just the south. Pennsylvania and other states did the same
thing. I can remember it when I was small and I was born in 64

They aren't the nicest places at times.

Jo
Old June 15th 06, 02:36 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article .com,
"L." wrote:

Next time bring a towel with you and cover up your tit. Problem
solved.

LOL, ya reckon? If the manager is the kind of prude I think he is, no
way!

Still, it could be amusing to take a YMCA towel and cut a nipple hole in it.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old June 15th 06, 11:44 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

L. wrote:

CY wrote:

I was at our local YMCA today and in the pool when my 1 yr old son became
hungry.

snip

Next time bring a towel with you and cover up your tit. Problem
solved.

sense...

-L.

What an ironic server to be using, for a troll. Peacemail, indeed.
--

Cheri Stryker

mom to DS1 - 7 yrs, and DS2 - 3.5 months

Check out my new breastfeeding T-shirts on CafePress!
http://www.cafepress.com/dancingbones
Old June 15th 06, 11:55 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Cheri Stryker wrote:
What an ironic server to be using, for a troll. Peacemail, indeed.

I'm not a troll, jackass, and you can't read headers worth ****; my
server is Google. Cover your tits with a towel - it's not
rocketscience.

-L.

Old June 16th 06, 02:29 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Cheri Stryker wrote:
What an ironic server to be using, for a troll. Peacemail, indeed.

I'm not a troll, jackass, and you can't read headers worth ****; my
server is Google. Cover your tits with a towel - it's not
rocketscience.

Well you certainly sound like a troll ... rude and ill-informed.

Next time you have a meal, be sure to first place a large towel both over
your head and the food (preferably a little damp and smelling of chlorine).
Do let us know how you enjoy that meal won't you.