Ulrtasound results

Old November 2nd 04, 03:59 AM
Wendy

Default Ulrtasound results

I went in for my estimation of fetal size u/s today and at 37 weeks the
baby is (allegedly) 8lb 7oz. Hmmmm......that means she could weigh
almost 10lb by the time she is born! Boy is my OB going to have a heyday
with this when I see him tomorrow. : ( He's going to go on a vaginal
birth is impossible tirade, I just know it. The u/s tech did say the
weight could be inaccurate by as much as a pound. Really, no kidding?
The thing is I 'know' it has to be wrong because I do not think this is
a 8lb 7oz baby right now. That just seems too huge but I guess we'll
find out soon enough. : )

Wendy

Old November 2nd 04, 04:15 AM
Wendy

Let me just correct the subject line now. I seem to be having a lot of
trouble spelling 'ultrasound' lately. My fingers aren't even swollen,
LOL.

Wendy

Old November 2nd 04, 06:21 AM
Unadulterated Me

Wendy wrote:
I went in for my estimation of fetal size u/s today and at 37 weeks the
baby is (allegedly) 8lb 7oz. Hmmmm......that means she could weigh
almost 10lb by the time she is born!

In my own experience I had an ultrasound at 37 weeks with my second
child which showed an 8lb baby (3.6kg), he was born at 41w2d weighing
10lb 7oz, so yeah if it's right you could have a 10-11lb baby around term.

Andrea
Old November 2nd 04, 05:34 PM
Larry McMahan

Wendy writes:
: I went in for my estimation of fetal size u/s today and at 37 weeks the
: baby is (allegedly) 8lb 7oz. Hmmmm......that means she could weigh
: almost 10lb by the time she is born!

US weight estimation is notoriously innaccurate, and often high. He
could actually be 7 lbs now.

: almost 10lb by the time she is born! Boy is my OB going to have a heyday
: with this when I see him tomorrow. : ( He's going to go on a vaginal
: birth is impossible tirade, I just know it. The u/s tech did say the
: weight could be inaccurate by as much as a pound. Really, no kidding?

Hmmm. I think that is what I just said! :-) Is there any way you can
"fire" your OB?

: The thing is I 'know' it has to be wrong because I do not think this is
: a 8lb 7oz baby right now. That just seems too huge but I guess we'll
: find out soon enough. : )

I suspect you are right.

: Wendy

Good luck, (with the baby and the OB both!)
Larry
Old November 2nd 04, 08:28 PM
Unadulterated Me

Larry McMahan wrote:

Hmmm. I think that is what I just said! :-) Is there any way you can
"fire" your OB?

Well that's hardly bloody practical considering she's 37 weeks is it.
Her only option if he's truly as uninformed as she says is to be very
clear and determined in what she wants in birth and make sure the ob she
has employed remembers it is his role to to listen to his clients needs.
Good luck Wendy.

Andrea
Old November 2nd 04, 09:06 PM
Christine

I didnt have a later ultrasound, but all along my OB said I was going to
have a really big baby, I guess she cold tell by feeling, even seconds
before my C-Sec,,,the OB STILL said =91=91this is a BIG
baby=92=92......Chloe weighed 5 pounds...LOL...

Old November 2nd 04, 09:37 PM
Anne Rogers

I didnt have a later ultrasound, but all along my OB said I was going to
have a really big baby, I guess she cold tell by feeling, even seconds
before my C-Sec,,,the OB STILL said ''this is a BIG
baby''......Chloe weighed 5 pounds...LOL...

seriously LOL, I know OBs aren't generally as good as midwives at estimating
weight, but they aren't usually that bad! The junior OB I saw said probably
5 something, maybe 6 something, the midwife 24 hours before delivery said
6lb2oz, my dream said 5lb11oz, turned out to be 5lb13oz, so the OB was right
and no one was far off, only the ultrasound technician, who said 75th
centile, which would be well over 8lb!

Old November 2nd 04, 11:53 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Unadulterated Me wrote:

Larry McMahan wrote:

Hmmm. I think that is what I just said! :-) Is there any way you can
"fire" your OB?

Well that's hardly bloody practical considering she's 37 weeks is it.
Her only option if he's truly as uninformed as she says is to be very
clear and determined in what she wants in birth and make sure the ob she
has employed remembers it is his role to to listen to his clients needs.

Not necessarily. It is possible to switch care providers,
even at 37 weeks, and I've known women to do it. It'd not the ideal
thing, but it's certainly doable for anyone who wants to do it.
IIRC (and I may not, as I have a brain like a sieve), Wendy
doesn't exactly have a lot of choice of nearby practitioners that
her insurance will cover, which might create issues, but she *could*
change providers if she can find one she wants to move to.

Best wishes,
Ericka