nipple confusion advice

Old February 16th 04, 04:26 AM
toypup

Default nipple confusion advice

I was asking the LC at our hospital about nipple confusion, since there was
a possibility of having to supplement DD during her stay there. She
responded that the various methods of feeding are actually controversial,
that feeding with syringe, cup, etc., also promote confusion. She was very
pro-BF. In fact, she got upset when I told her 2 years ago, when I was
bringing in pumped colostrum for DS, the nurses never used it. She was
going to mention it at the hospital meeting, even though so much time had
passed. So, I got the impression from her that there was equal chance of
feeding problem when supplementing no matter what system is used, including
bottle-feeding. DS was supplemented with bottles and didn't have much
problems, but I know DD is a different person and her experience may differ.
My question, is there really a controversy about feeding confusion with the
other methods that are just not discussed in this ng? She said the
confusion arises because the method of feeding is still different from
BF'ing. She suggested Avent nipples, which DS would not take.

Old February 16th 04, 09:54 PM
Iuil

"toypup" wrote
My question, is there really a controversy about feeding confusion with

the
other methods that are just not discussed in this ng? She said the
confusion arises because the method of feeding is still different from
BF'ing. She suggested Avent nipples, which DS would not take.

All I can say is that when we were doing latch-retraining with DD we had to
get food into her somehow and the preferred option of the LC, the dietician,
the paediatrician and the ward sister was to use an open cup. It worked for
us.

Jean

Old February 16th 04, 10:17 PM
Mary W.

Iuil wrote:

"toypup" wrote
My question, is there really a controversy about feeding confusion with

the
other methods that are just not discussed in this ng? She said the
confusion arises because the method of feeding is still different from
BF'ing. She suggested Avent nipples, which DS would not take.

All I can say is that when we were doing latch-retraining with DD we had to
get food into her somehow and the preferred option of the LC, the dietician,
the paediatrician and the ward sister was to use an open cup. It worked for
us.

The LC at our hospital gave teh same advice that toypup got. So
we supplemented with a nipple (used Avent). DD had terrible
nipple confusion and it took us probably close to 6 weeks to
overcome, thanks to the wonderful advice and work of a private
LC. I don't know if DD would have had the same problems
if we had syringe or cup fed, but I think it would have been
better. At least her sucking needs wouldn't have been met by
a bottle, so perhaps she would have taken to the breast better.

If supplementation is required next time, there is no way I
will use artificial nipples.

Mary

Old February 16th 04, 10:38 PM
Iuil

"Mary W." wrote

The LC at our hospital gave teh same advice that toypup got. So
we supplemented with a nipple (used Avent). DD had terrible
nipple confusion and it took us probably close to 6 weeks to
overcome, thanks to the wonderful advice and work of a private
LC.

I got the same advice when DD was less than 24 hours old (actually, the
advice was "nipple confusion doesn't really exist you know" complete with
eye-roll). It took several months for us to completely overcome the damage
done by that remark. It's pretty much documented in the archives in Google.

I don't know if DD would have had the same problems
if we had syringe or cup fed, but I think it would have been
better. At least her sucking needs wouldn't have been met by
a bottle, so perhaps she would have taken to the breast better.

I *know* S wouldn't have had the same problems. All because one murse was
too lazy to cup feed her.

If supplementation is required next time, there is no way I
will use artificial nipples.

I plan on bringing a waterproof marker and writing on the baby's forehead
"No bottles or artifical milk" (DD also ended up dairy intolerant/allergic)
;-).

Jean

Old February 16th 04, 11:27 PM
Dawn Lawson

Iuil wrote:
"Mary W." wrote

The LC at our hospital gave teh same advice that toypup got. So
we supplemented with a nipple (used Avent). DD had terrible
nipple confusion and it took us probably close to 6 weeks to
overcome, thanks to the wonderful advice and work of a private
LC.

I got the same advice when DD was less than 24 hours old (actually, the
advice was "nipple confusion doesn't really exist you know" complete with
eye-roll).

You know, come to think of it, my MIDWIVES were telling me this, and one
is a certified LC. That and that when on day 2 he was permalatched that
this wasn't right, and that he should be sleeping 6 hrs straight by the
time he was 6 wks old. I only know NOW (or well, AFTER the fact,
anyhow) that I wasn't failing or struggling, and that DS isn't really a
difficult baby, but at the time, it wasn't very helpful, given that I
wasn't going to give him formula and I was struggling with being alone
and the horrible pain of vasospasm and compression injury.

Blech. There was a lot to get through that first few months. and I
guess technically we GOT nipple confusion, with the shield becoming
quickly the only way he'd nurse, although at that point there was a
knowledgeable dr helping me, and it was my own fault that I didn't get
him weaned off it.

Dawn

Old February 17th 04, 03:14 PM
Mary W.

Iuil wrote:

"Mary W." wrote

The LC at our hospital gave teh same advice that toypup got. So
we supplemented with a nipple (used Avent). DD had terrible
nipple confusion and it took us probably close to 6 weeks to
overcome, thanks to the wonderful advice and work of a private
LC.

I got the same advice when DD was less than 24 hours old (actually, the
advice was "nipple confusion doesn't really exist you know" complete with
eye-roll). It took several months for us to completely overcome the damage
done by that remark. It's pretty much documented in the archives in Google.

And when she said it, I knew that sounded wrong. But I was exhausted,
recovering from a c-section, and they were making all sorts of concerned
noises about her glucose level. Still makes me mad!

If supplementation is required next time, there is no way I
will use artificial nipples.

I plan on bringing a waterproof marker and writing on the baby's forehead
"No bottles or artifical milk" (DD also ended up dairy intolerant/allergic)
;-).

Oh, now there's a good idea!

Mary

Old February 17th 04, 03:48 PM
Dawn Lawson

Mary W. wrote:

I plan on bringing a waterproof marker and writing on the baby's forehead
"No bottles or artifical milk" (DD also ended up dairy intolerant/allergic)
;-).

Oh, now there's a good idea!

yeah, that's gonna be fun to explain in photographs. "mummy, why am I
wearing a hat in all my pics for the first 3 years?" ;-))

Maybe put it on a hat to start with? ;-)
Someone needs to design a sani-seal like the hotels use for toilets,
only this one fits over a hospital bassinette has the "no bottles"
symbol and has some nifty BF slogan on it (which i've tried twice to
come up with and can't managed.....anyone?)

Dawn

Old February 17th 04, 06:42 PM
Sue

Iuil wrote:
I plan on bringing a waterproof marker and writing on the baby's

forehead. "No bottles or artifical milk" (DD also ended up dairy

intolerant/allergic)
;-).

Mary W. wrote:

Oh, now there's a good idea!

At the hospital where I gave birth, were these signs that they put on the
end of the bassinet that either said the babies were breastfeed or formula
fed. And they complied with those wishes. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old February 17th 04, 10:28 PM
Iuil

"Mary W." wrote

And when she said it, I knew that sounded wrong. But I was exhausted,
recovering from a c-section, and they were making all sorts of concerned
noises about her glucose level. Still makes me mad!

Snap.

At 3am when you're doped on morphine you'll swallow just about anything even
though you know in the back of your mind that it's wrong.

Jean

Old February 17th 04, 10:30 PM
Iuil

"Dawn Lawson" wrote

I plan on bringing a waterproof marker and writing on the baby's

forehead
"No bottles or artifical milk" (DD also ended up dairy

intolerant/allergic)
;-).

yeah, that's gonna be fun to explain in photographs. "mummy, why am I
wearing a hat in all my pics for the first 3 years?" ;-))

It'll come off with a non-polar solvent like ethanol (one of the benefits of
a Chem degree ;-)).

Maybe put it on a hat to start with? ;-)
Someone needs to design a sani-seal like the hotels use for toilets,
only this one fits over a hospital bassinette has the "no bottles"
symbol and has some nifty BF slogan on it (which i've tried twice to
come up with and can't managed.....anyone?)

See, I figure that if it isn't actually written on the baby, it'll get
ignored or left behind.

Jean