Do you have to use "baby" detergent?

Old November 1st 04, 06:25 AM
Kelly

I did with DS#1 only because I wanted to try it, and I had a sample. Since
then, all baby clothes have been washed with the same detergent as the rest
of us. Personally, I dislike the smell of TIDE so I've only used that if DH
accidentally brings it home.

What you are currently using sounds very appropriate for baby clothes

Kelly
#4 2/12/05

"Donna Metler" wrote in message
I put Ivory snow on the shopping list, since I have a lot of baby clothes
from different sources to wash, and my husband was shocked at how

expensive
it was. Is it really any different from the dye free, scent free stuff we
usually get? It's not bad as long as I'm just washing baby things, but I
assume eventually we'll want to wash all the clothes in the same

detergent,
since the baby stuff will be mixed in.

Old November 1st 04, 08:05 AM
Jenrose

"Donna Metler" wrote in message
I put Ivory snow on the shopping list, since I have a lot of baby clothes
from different sources to wash, and my husband was shocked at how
expensive
it was. Is it really any different from the dye free, scent free stuff we
usually get? It's not bad as long as I'm just washing baby things, but I
assume eventually we'll want to wash all the clothes in the same
detergent,
since the baby stuff will be mixed in.

"Baby" detergents gave my daughter terrible rash--looked like road rash.
We've used perfume and dye free since week 2. She's 11 now and I see no
reason to switch.

Personally I feel that adult "perfume and dye free" are better for the skin
than highly perfumed "baby" soaps--the "baby" detergents are only "baby",
IMO, because of the way they make them smell.

Also, it was really important for us that all of MY clothes and bedding also
be safe for her--because she spent so much time in contact with me and my
clothes.

Now that I've been washing "forever" with perfume and dye free, I can't
stand the smell of scented detergents, I hold my breath, dash down the
aisle, grab the bottle, and dash away so I don't have to smell them in the
store--they can put me into an asthma attack if I linger in that aisle.

Fortunately we have a front loader, so I only have to buy detergent once
every 9-12 months.

Jenrose

Old November 1st 04, 01:21 PM
Anne Rogers

I don't think we have such I think in England. I read somewhere to use
non-bio and don't use fabric conditior, so I just use the plainest and
cheapest I can find, which is a huge box of supermarket own brand
non-biological washing powder.

Old November 1st 04, 02:38 PM
miss mandy

Vicky Bilaniuk wrote in message ...

I am allergic to smelly, colourful laundry detergents. ;-) I obviously
use the dye-free and perfume-free stuff. I wash all of our clothes
together, and so far we've had no problems. I run the machine on an
extra rinse cycle, just in case, but I don't know if it actually makes a
difference (haven't tried it without the extra rinse). I also use
dye-free and perfume-free softener. I don't see the point in using
"baby" detergent. ;-)

Which detergent and softener do you use? I hate to buy anything
without a recommendation!

Mandy
Old November 1st 04, 03:52 PM
Rupert

"Donna Metler" wrote in message . ..
I put Ivory snow on the shopping list, since I have a lot of baby clothes
from different sources to wash, and my husband was shocked at how expensive
it was. Is it really any different from the dye free, scent free stuff we
usually get? It's not bad as long as I'm just washing baby things, but I
assume eventually we'll want to wash all the clothes in the same detergent,
since the baby stuff will be mixed in.

I just use allergen free ALL. Its a lot less than "baby detergent" but
just as "safe".
http://fromthemorning.blogspot.com
Old November 1st 04, 04:43 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

miss mandy wrote:

Vicky Bilaniuk wrote in message ...

I am allergic to smelly, colourful laundry detergents. ;-) I obviously
use the dye-free and perfume-free stuff. I wash all of our clothes
together, and so far we've had no problems. I run the machine on an
extra rinse cycle, just in case, but I don't know if it actually makes a
difference (haven't tried it without the extra rinse). I also use
dye-free and perfume-free softener. I don't see the point in using
"baby" detergent. ;-)

Which detergent and softener do you use? I hate to buy anything
without a recommendation!

The only ones I can find in my area that are perfume and dye free. So,
that would be Tide Free and Downy (I *think* it's Downy, but I'm certain
about the Tide).
Old November 1st 04, 05:14 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Jenrose wrote:

Now that I've been washing "forever" with perfume and dye free, I can't
stand the smell of scented detergents, I hold my breath, dash down the

Oh same here!!

I bought some Tide HE because I was stupid. (the reason is actually
that I like to get the measuring cups out of them, and this time I
bought a liquid version because they finally started selling liquid Tide
Free in huge bottles around here. The reason why I was stupid is
because the liquid versions all have the same measuring cup - they've
just watered the HE stuff down, or something, so that you use the same
amount as you would with regular detergent. The measuring cups for the
powdered stuff are different.) Brought it home and told DH to only use
it on the towels (he and I share the laundry chore). Well, the first
thing he did was use it on a regular load. I went downstairs and I
could smell it immediately, without even opening the door on the
machine. I didn't even take the stuff out - just turned the machine
back on and ran it through an entire wash cycle again, complete with
extra rinse. The smell *still* wouldn't go away!! I have a few shirts
that completely *reek* (and they've now been washed a couple of times).
How can people actually like this stuff, I wonder? I can't believe
how strong it is, and how well it persists.

aisle, grab the bottle, and dash away so I don't have to smell them in the
store--they can put me into an asthma attack if I linger in that aisle.

I have a hard time in that aisle, too, but I have a much *worse* time in
drug stores. There, they've got detergents of all types (sometimes
including laundry detergent, if it's a big enough store), plus perfume
and bath products. I practically have to use an inhaler just to go
shopping in one of these places. Very irritating.

But you know, I swear, when I was a kid, things didn't reek as much as
they do now. I swear companies are putting stronger and stronger
perfumes in their products. I know, I know, this is what sells. *sigh*
What smells, sells, heh heh.

Fortunately we have a front loader, so I only have to buy detergent once
every 9-12 months.

Front loader here, too, but I used to have buy detergent a lot more
often because the store only sold it in small boxes. Now that they've
got huge jugs of the liquid stuff, I'm hoping to stretch it out more.
Now, if only they would sell the softener in huge jugs, too. :-(
Old November 1st 04, 09:53 PM
Beach mum

I'll second this. We even used Downey from the time E was born and she's
been fine and virtually rash free.

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

"Sue" wrote in message
"Donna Metler" wrote in message
I put Ivory snow on the shopping list, since I have a lot of baby
clothes
from different sources to wash, and my husband was shocked at how

expensive
it was. Is it really any different from the dye free, scent free stuff we
usually get? It's not bad as long as I'm just washing baby things, but I
assume eventually we'll want to wash all the clothes in the same

detergent,
since the baby stuff will be mixed in.

No you don't have to use baby detergent. It is just a marketing ploy to
get
you to spend more money. You also don't have to wash the baby's clothes
separate either. Why make more work for yourself. I use Tide because that
is
what I always use. If the baby ends up showing signs of an allergy to the
soap or sensitive skin, then yes you may have to find another detergent to
fit the baby's needs.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old November 1st 04, 10:04 PM
PattyMomVA

"Donna Metler" wrote and I snipped:
I put Ivory snow on the shopping list, since I have a lot of baby clothes
from different sources to wash, and my husband was shocked at how
expensive
it was. Is it really any different from the dye free, scent free stuff we
usually get? It's not bad as long as I'm just washing baby things, but I
assume eventually we'll want to wash all the clothes in the same
detergent,
since the baby stuff will be mixed in.

We used the same products on all the laundry: All Free & Clear detergent and
Bounce Free dryer sheets. Most of us have sensitive skin anyway.

-Patty, mom of 3

Old November 2nd 04, 02:12 AM
Sarajoyo

"Donna Metler" wrote in message . ..
I put Ivory snow on the shopping list, since I have a lot of baby clothes
from different sources to wash, and my husband was shocked at how expensive
it was. Is it really any different from the dye free, scent free stuff we
usually get? It's not bad as long as I'm just washing baby things, but I
assume eventually we'll want to wash all the clothes in the same detergent,
since the baby stuff will be mixed in.

I've always used All Free and Clear for all of our clothing, including
baby clothes and diapers. No fabric softener, though I use Shout and
OxiClean as needed. No problems at all. On the occasions when we've
been at someone else's house and have used their regular detergent
that isn't the Free and Clear stuff, I have hated the way things
smell.

As for washing baby clothes separately, that depends on your family.
My DH is a carpenter and his clothes are often very dirty, so I don't
wash his stuff with the kid laundry. DH's stuff and my jeans will
make a full load anyway, and then I wash anything of mine that needs
gentle/delicate with kid stuff on delicate. Ensures that our delicate
stuff doesn't get beaten up or tangled up in DH's heavy jeans and
sweatshirts, and that our stuff doesn't get dirty or greasy. Do what
works for you.

-Sara