bleeding issues

Old November 1st 04, 03:38 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Default bleeding issues

OK, this is getting ridiculous. It will be 9 weeks tomorrow and I'm
still bleeding. I haven't bled continuously, but it's pretty darn close
to that. The approximate course of events:
- lots of bright red bleeding the first few days
- tapered off to darker red and this lasted for several days
- it eventually got yellowish (I think this was after a good 3 weeks,
but I can't remember now)
- after the 4th week, I started getting days, here and there, with no
bleeding at all. I think I got a period at around the 4th week because
there was some red bleeding for a couple of days, but of course I can't
be certain.
- in all of this, I've lost tons of clots, but I don't find that
alarming because I normally shed clots when on a period (so I'm used to
the sight)
- after that possible period, I've been bleeding lightly, and losing the
occasional clot, ever since (dark red)

Now, for a few days, I've been bleeding rather heavily. I can soak
through a super sized tampon in a couple of hours, to the point of
needing to change my clothing, so now I'm wearing pads as well as using
the tampons. I actually was using only pads at first, but pads by
themselves aren't enough - it kept spilling over the edges. It's bright
red and contains clots. It's not actually *gushing* or anything,
though. It is not flowing in quite the same way as it was right after
having given birth. But it sure is flowing, heh heh... I do have
cramps, but they're only very mild (not like my usual period cramps at
all, but I don't know what to make of the cramps since I had abnormal
period cramps to begin with).

I actually took Max to see a doctor yesterday and while I was there, I
asked the guy about this. He said that if I'm still bleeding like this
by Tuesday, that I should get checked out. Well, I'm sitting here
thinking that Tuesday is not all that far off... (As for Max, he had
funny coloured pee and I just want to rule out an infection, so now I
have the joyful process of trying to collect a urine sample from him.
Thankfully, he seems to be much better now, so the result will likely
come back negative. I'm still going to collect the sample, but man oh
man it's hard to remember to attach that stupid little bag right before
a feeding, heh heh)

I am feeling perfectly normal except that I'm very tired. Now, whether
the "tired" is from the bleeding or a lack of sleep is hard for me to
tell, right now. I've been getting a semi reasonable amount of sleep,
just at funny hours, and that usually is enough to make me a bit tired
and spaced out. I think I'm getting on average about 7 hours a night,
just broken up a bit, and with a late start. (the late start is usually
what makes me feel tired)

And poor DH... I've been a little crabby, lately. :-( I've been
growing more worried about this bleeding thing as time goes by, and
worrying tends to make me crabby.

Hopefully, this will all just stop on its own today. Wouldn't that be
wonderful? ;-)
Old November 1st 04, 05:42 PM
Welches

"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote in message
. ..
OK, this is getting ridiculous. It will be 9 weeks tomorrow and I'm still
bleeding. I haven't bled continuously, but it's pretty darn close to
that.

I'd get a check up. I don't think you're looking at anything unusual, but
the clots and return to red bleeding "may" have indicators of something.
If you're worrying it's worth being reassured.
Are you breastfeeding? (I can't remember if you'd said) because I used to
find that I got more and darker red bleeding if I'd done a heavy feed, even
after I'd basically stopped bleeding.
Debbie

Old November 1st 04, 06:09 PM
CY

Are you overdoing it? Sometimes excess bleeding is a sign you nee dto slow
down? Just a thought...

Old November 1st 04, 06:29 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Welches wrote:

"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote in message
. ..

OK, this is getting ridiculous. It will be 9 weeks tomorrow and I'm still
bleeding. I haven't bled continuously, but it's pretty darn close to
that.

I'd get a check up. I don't think you're looking at anything unusual, but
the clots and return to red bleeding "may" have indicators of something.
If you're worrying it's worth being reassured.

I'm going to wait and see how it goes today. If it's still at it
tomorrow, I'm calling.

Are you breastfeeding? (I can't remember if you'd said) because I used to
find that I got more and darker red bleeding if I'd done a heavy feed, even
after I'd basically stopped bleeding.

Just pumping. I've never noticed any effect.
Old November 1st 04, 06:39 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

CY wrote:

Are you overdoing it? Sometimes excess bleeding is a sign you nee dto slow
down? Just a thought...

Yeah I know, but at *this* point?

I do love to walk. I've gotten back to long walks now that I'm
physically capable, but I haven't done that in a few days. I think I
started bleeding heavily like this the day after my last walk. I
typically go for about 2 hours when I go for a walk. (and yes, Max
actually seems to like such long walks, at least for now, which is
great) I don't particularly push it when I'm walking, though. No speed
walking or anything like that. Just a plain stroll at a comfortable
pace. I *think* I go a total of probably about 10km, maybe? 10km tops,
but probably a bit less. (so maybe just over 6 miles, according to
Google, but probably a bit less than that) Heh heh, all I know is I
walk past the 3k marker twice (there and back), and then I walk on a
different path for a while after I get back to my start point. I wish I
could *jog* this, but walking is nice, too.

I haven't bled like this after all of the other walks, though, nor have
I bled like this after using my exercise bike. I doubt that it's
exercise related. At least, I'm hoping it's not. ;-)
Old November 1st 04, 07:07 PM
Anne Rogers

I do love to walk. I've gotten back to long walks now that I'm physically
capable, but I haven't done that in a few days. I think I started
bleeding heavily like this the day after my last walk. I typically go for
about 2 hours when I go for a walk. (and yes, Max actually seems to like
such long walks, at least for now, which is great) I don't particularly
push it when I'm walking, though. No speed walking or anything like that.
Just a plain stroll at a comfortable pace. I *think* I go a total of
probably about 10km, maybe? 10km tops, but probably a bit less. (so
maybe just over 6 miles, according to Google, but probably a bit less than
that) Heh heh, all I know is I walk past the 3k marker twice (there and
back), and then I walk on a different path for a while after I get back to
my start point. I wish I could *jog* this, but walking is nice, too.

that is quite a long walk, I'm afraid I don't really have a clue about the
bleeding, I know I did bleed more after a long walk, maybe 4 or 5 miles,
about 4 weeks after ds was born

Old November 1st 04, 07:54 PM
Donna Metler

Have they checked your platelets, fibrogen counts, etc? It's not really
common, but it is possible to have HELLP come on after delivery, with no PE
symptoms, and even though it resolves as the hormones get back to normal, it
can take months to fully resolve and get the blood counts back to
normal-which could also explain the tiredness, because if so, both RBC's and
platelets would be low.

Also, if for some reason your vitamin K is low, clotting and healing will be
really slow. Usually the body produces enough, but it's easy to check-and
relatively easy to supplement if it isn't, either by supplements or by
changing dietary intake (basically, the darker green the better, not frozen,
and don't microwave it).

Old November 1st 04, 11:24 PM
Sue

Have you been over doing it?
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old November 2nd 04, 12:52 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Vicky Bilaniuk wrote:

I'm going to wait and see how it goes today. If it's still at it
tomorrow, I'm calling.

Just an update... Yay for me, the bleeding has slowed considerably.
(no, it has not stopped, but at least the flow is much reduced)
Old November 2nd 04, 12:57 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Donna Metler wrote:

Have they checked your platelets, fibrogen counts, etc? It's not really
common, but it is possible to have HELLP come on after delivery, with no PE
symptoms, and even though it resolves as the hormones get back to normal, it
can take months to fully resolve and get the blood counts back to
normal-which could also explain the tiredness, because if so, both RBC's and
platelets would be low.

Also, if for some reason your vitamin K is low, clotting and healing will be
really slow. Usually the body produces enough, but it's easy to check-and
relatively easy to supplement if it isn't, either by supplements or by
changing dietary intake (basically, the darker green the better, not frozen,
and don't microwave it).

Thanks, Donna. I haven't been checked for anything. Although I never
mentioned it here, my midwife and I had a bit of a falling out, and I
feel that my post partum care suffered. I'll probably give my doctor a
call about this tomorrow. I have to call about DH's flu shot anyway
because we forgot to get it last visit. I won't let it drag on.

Bleeding in late pregnancy - sp. TMI Amy Pregnancy 1 June 15th 04 07:25 AM
Internal exam and bright red bleeding? Jill Pregnancy 1 May 8th 04 05:32 AM
postpartum bleeding Piu Pregnancy 7 March 2nd 04 05:39 AM
update, and leg pain issues Vicky Bilaniuk Pregnancy 7 January 8th 04 10:14 PM
breakthrough bleeding and breastfeeding Naomi Pardue Breastfeeding 1 August 6th 03 07:01 PM