Modern factual childrens books

Old July 12th 06, 02:37 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

Default Modern factual childrens books

.... are rubbish?

I have a son who likes being read factual stories at night. We have
books such as the Dorling Kindersley books on Weather and the like.
They seemed fine when I was reading them. Then I saw an older book
about the weather at a stall. The book was originally published in
1960, and his mother said she'd had it when it was young. So I bought
it for the princely sum of 5p (about US$ 0.09). Reading it, I see a
huge difference between the two books. The modern one contains a lot of
information, but that's all it has. The older book doesn't include as
many facts, but includes many little experiments that children can do.
Such as putting pieces of black paper and white paper out in the sun to
see which one adsorbs most heat. Or putting a glass upside down on
grass so that evaporation of water can be observed. In short, it
includes experiments that kids can do and have fun with, while
learning.

The more I think about it, despite containing more and more up to date
information, better pictures, a wider range of subjects, I can't help
but think that the modern book isn't a patch on the older one, for the
purpose of teaching children and engendering in them a thirst for
knowledge.

Any comments?

Old July 12th 06, 03:02 PM posted to misc.kids
dragonlady

In article . com,
wrote:

[...]

The two books serve different purposes, both valid.

You can find current books with lots of cool experiments, and older
books that are just information -- you just have to know what you want
and go looking for it.

Old July 12th 06, 04:48 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

dragonlady wrote:
The two books serve different purposes, both valid.

You can find current books with lots of cool experiments, and older
books that are just information -- you just have to know what you want
and go looking for it.

Any recommendations then?

Old July 14th 06, 02:08 AM posted to misc.kids
R. Steve Walz

dragonlady wrote:

In article . com,
wrote:

[...]

Garbage. They exemplify the dumbing-down of modern children's books.
Steve