endless coughing

Old May 1st 07, 03:24 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
determined

Default endless coughing

Emily is almost 17 months. Around the end of March, she came down with a
miserable cold. She was pretty unhappy for about a week, but by then the
bulk of the cold symptoms disappeared. Except a cough. SHe is fine during
the day, in that she doesn't cough as much, but at night, she coughs and
hacks, like she is choking on her mucous. It isn't a dry cough, it sounds
like maybe she has post nasal drip that is activated when she is laying
down, or somehow by laying down it causes more irritation. Anyways, she
coughs ALL NIGHT. Many times she coughs until she throws up. We have
elevated the head of her bed, and we run the humidifier with a little
menthol. I am at a loss what else to try. The doctors just say it has to
run it's course, but after 5 weeks, shouldn't it be better? Is there
something else to consider or test?

Betsy

Old May 1st 07, 03:54 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sarah Vaughan

determined wrote:
Emily is almost 17 months. Around the end of March, she came down with a
miserable cold. She was pretty unhappy for about a week, but by then the
bulk of the cold symptoms disappeared. Except a cough. SHe is fine during
the day, in that she doesn't cough as much, but at night, she coughs and
hacks, like she is choking on her mucous. It isn't a dry cough, it sounds
like maybe she has post nasal drip that is activated when she is laying
down, or somehow by laying down it causes more irritation. Anyways, she
coughs ALL NIGHT. Many times she coughs until she throws up. We have
elevated the head of her bed, and we run the humidifier with a little
menthol. I am at a loss what else to try. The doctors just say it has to
run it's course, but after 5 weeks, shouldn't it be better? Is there
something else to consider or test?

When I see a child with a cough that's lasted that long, I consider
asthma as a possibility. Any history of asthma, eczema or hay fever in
your family?

All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell

Old May 1st 07, 05:01 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
NL

determined wrote:
SHe is fine during
the day, in that she doesn't cough as much, but at night, she coughs and
hacks, like she is choking on her mucous.

Do you do something different with your bed linens than with your
regular laundry? Do you starch it, iron it with a different kind of
water (I know some people prefer a scented water in their irons, that's
why I'm asking), use a different detergent,... Have you maybe switched
detergents at some point but the sheets were washed before you switched?
Does she spend time in the bedroom during the day without coughing?
What happens if you don't use the humidifier?

I'm asking because it might be allergies. Ask your doctor about doing a
blood test/screening for allergies. He'll just take some blood and
you'll get the results within about a week (at least I did with my son,
but we're in germany, so who knows). Tell him about the coughing
pattern, there's probably not much sense in testing for pollen
allergies, except if your sheets are the only thing you dry outside...
See if he can give her an asthma spray (Sam and I both have them, ours
aren't for emergencies but for regular use during the worst times) and
Sam also has a syrup that helps clear the lungs.

Don't worry about asthma though. I sometimes have phases where I have a
hard time breathing, same with Sam. For us both they're not tough to
handle. I've had "beginning asthma" for the past 10 years and it never
developed into serious "I have to have a spray with me 24/7 because
otherwise I'll die" asthma.

take care!
nicole
Old May 1st 07, 06:09 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
determined

OH, we do have hay fever in the family. Didn't think of that. No asthma
though. Can they give kids that age an antihistamine of some sort? Even
the benadryl says not for under age 2.

Old May 1st 07, 06:10 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
determined

We wash everything the same. And up until March, it wasn't a problem.
Everything has stayed the same, nothing changed except that she got sick.
We only recently tried using the humidifier - there was little improvement
with it, and without it she coughs just the same.

Old May 1st 07, 06:33 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
NL

determined wrote:
We wash everything the same. And up until March, it wasn't a problem.
Everything has stayed the same, nothing changed except that she got sick.
We only recently tried using the humidifier - there was little improvement
with it, and without it she coughs just the same.

In that case I'd just go and see the doctor again, describe the symptoms
and insist on medication. Her throwing up from the coughing sounds like
she's coughing really really hard and that just can't be all that healthy.
If it's allergies a test should find at least something and you can go
from there.

cu
nicole
Old May 1st 07, 09:38 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Workingmom

determined skrev:
Emily is almost 17 months. Around the end of March, she came down with a
miserable cold. She was pretty unhappy for about a week, but by then the
bulk of the cold symptoms disappeared. Except a cough. SHe is fine during
the day, in that she doesn't cough as much, but at night, she coughs and
hacks, like she is choking on her mucous. It isn't a dry cough, it sounds
like maybe she has post nasal drip that is activated when she is laying
down, or somehow by laying down it causes more irritation. Anyways, she
coughs ALL NIGHT. Many times she coughs until she throws up. We have
elevated the head of her bed, and we run the humidifier with a little
menthol. I am at a loss what else to try. The doctors just say it has to
run it's course, but after 5 weeks, shouldn't it be better? Is there
something else to consider or test?

Betsy

I'd say asthma as well - turned up in mine around that age.

Mine tend to cough a lot if there's dust in the room. Try to wash the
curtains, remove a carpet if you can, change the bed sheets, and vacuum
clean.

See if it helps.

Tine, Ditmar
Old May 1st 07, 09:41 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Workingmom

determined skrev:
OH, we do have hay fever in the family. Didn't think of that. No asthma
though. Can they give kids that age an antihistamine of some sort? Even
the benadryl says not for under age 2.

Mine have used regular asthma medicine since the age of one - asthma
doesn't have to be allergic - it can be just from irritation of the
ventilation system (what's the proper term in English? :-))

Don't feel devastated if it's asthma - today asthma is very easily
treated, and the child can live a perfectly normal life without symptoms
or side effects at all.

I have asthma, and both my children have it.

Tine, Ditmar
Old May 1st 07, 10:10 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
determined

"Workingmom" wrote in message
determined skrev:
[...]

God, I hope she's not allergic to the dogs...

Old May 2nd 07, 12:01 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Caledonia

On May 1, 10:24 am, "determined" wrote:
Emily is almost 17 months. Around the end of March, she came down with a
miserable cold. She was pretty unhappy for about a week, but by then the
bulk of the cold symptoms disappeared. Except a cough. SHe is fine during
the day, in that she doesn't cough as much, but at night, she coughs and
hacks, like she is choking on her mucous. It isn't a dry cough, it sounds
like maybe she has post nasal drip that is activated when she is laying
down, or somehow by laying down it causes more irritation. Anyways, she
coughs ALL NIGHT. Many times she coughs until she throws up. We have
elevated the head of her bed, and we run the humidifier with a little
menthol. I am at a loss what else to try. The doctors just say it has to
run it's course, but after 5 weeks, shouldn't it be better? Is there
something else to consider or test?

Betsy

Hmm..we've been ramping up to Severe Pollen Season here -- do you
think there could be some correlation? I know that in about a week,
when everything outside is covered in green dust and the windowsills
(inside...sigh) are yellow, we'll be joining the coughing crew.

Caledonia