Breastfeeding and Indiana

Old July 24th 03, 03:07 PM

Default Breastfeeding and Indiana

My brother's girlfriend will be having a baby soon after I have mine.
While it's not an ideal situation, she is trying her hardest to make all
the right decisions. She's a college student and works part-time. She has
decided to breastfeed and really wants to make it work, but is hitting
some challenges. She was going to buy a manual pump and pump between
classes and on her break at work. Really, since she won't have a place to
pump between classes, a manual was probably best for this since she'll
probably be just ducking into a bathroom or something. However, she's now
been told by her employer that they won't make any exceptions to the
15-minute break. She now thinks she needs an electric so that she can pump
over her break. I don't even think she'll be able to get it done with an
electric in such a short time though (with setup and cleanup, too!), but
who knows.

My concern is that she's basically going to be driven to formula-feed
because of all this. She can't afford a good pump, but formula is free
through WIC. I know she isn't considering this right now, but it seems
like they make formula-feeding the easier and cheaper (and maybe only)
method is this situation. Does anyone know of any agencies in Indiana that
will help nearly-destitute people with breastfeeding - like providing
pumps so they can work? Also, does anyone know of any labor laws regarding
nursing in Indiana that might help her to be able to take a longer break?

Thanks,
Manda
Old July 24th 03, 03:38 PM
badgirl

wrote in message ...
[...]

I'm not sure about Indiana but here in Illinois WIC will help with the
cost of a pump if the mother wants to breastfeed. If she can qualify
for WIC then I think she can also qualify for their assistance with
paying for a pump.
Someone else might be able to help with the specific laws of your
state regarding your "SIL's" right to pump at work.

good luck!
Jen

Old July 24th 03, 04:07 PM
Karen

She's a college student and works part-time. She has
decided to breastfeed and really wants to make it work, but is hitting
some challenges. She was going to buy a manual pump and pump between
classes and on her break at work. Really, since she won't have a place to
pump between classes, a manual was probably best for this since she'll
probably be just ducking into a bathroom or something.

At UC Berkeley (I know, it's Berkeley, hardly comparable to the rest of
the planet) they have some kind of lactation room available to faculty,
staff, and students. It's something you have to register for to get a
key, and they can also arrange renting a pump, or maybe they have a pump
and you can rent parts. Not sure exactly, but anyway, wondering if her
school might have something set up to which she could gain access? And
maybe her local LLL or whatever might be able to give her info on both
local laws and about getting the equipment she needs cheap or subsidized.

-Karen-

Old July 24th 03, 04:22 PM
Belphoebe

"Karen" wrote in message

At UC Berkeley (I know, it's Berkeley, hardly comparable to the rest of
the planet) they have some kind of lactation room available to faculty,
staff, and students. It's something you have to register for to get a
key, and they can also arrange renting a pump, or maybe they have a pump
and you can rent parts. Not sure exactly, but anyway, wondering if her
school might have something set up to which she could gain access? And
maybe her local LLL or whatever might be able to give her info on both
local laws and about getting the equipment she needs cheap or subsidized.

And even if her college doesn't have such a room, perhaps other arrangements
could be made. For example, maybe her health center could let her use an
examination room, or a faculty member who's sympathetic could allow her to
borrow an office at specified times.

Belphoebe

Old July 24th 03, 04:52 PM
P. G. Chavez

wrote and I snipped:

[...]

Manda, I didn't find anything on the LLL website about breastfeeding
laws in Indiana; they simply aren't on the LLL list of states which may
mean that there aren't any state laws that apply. I did find the
following about addressing the issue of breastfeeding/pumping with an
employer. Maybe it will be helpful to you and your "SIL." I wonder if
she could take a 20-25 minute break and then work 5-10 minutes before or
after her regular shift.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/Law/LawEmployment.html

I also found U.S. legislation which encourages employers to support
breastfeeding:
http://www.lalecheleague.org/Law/Bills39.html

HTH,
-Patty, mom to Corinne [Mar-98] and Nathan [May-00]
and stepmom to Victoria [Apr-90]
Old July 24th 03, 06:06 PM
silvasurfa

"Belphoebe" wrote in message

And even if her college doesn't have such a room, perhaps other

arrangements
could be made. For example, maybe her health center could let her use an
examination room, or a faculty member who's sympathetic could allow her to
borrow an office at specified times.

Belphoebe

Storage rooms can be surprisingly private, and are usually lockable.

Old July 24th 03, 06:54 PM
Naomi Pardue

. Does anyone know of any agencies in Indiana that
will help nearly-destitute people with breastfeeding - like providing
pumps so they can work? Also, does anyone know of any labor laws regarding
nursing in Indiana that might help her to be able to take a longer break?

Nope, there are no laws specifically regarding nursing/breastfeeding in
Indiana.
The hospital where she gives birth may be able to provide a good deal on a
pump. (If she's in Bloomington, Bloomington hospital sells pumps at cost, I
believe.) They also have good LCs on staff who can help her get a good start
and good good support.

(BTW, if you/she is in Bloomington, e-mail me and I can let you know how to get
in touch with me for more personal help.)

Thanks,
Manda

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old July 24th 03, 08:09 PM
KC

As a veteran pumper, I would say that with the PIS she could keep it
mostly set up ahead of time, and then put the whole horns in the
cooler area of the bag until after work so that she could indeed pump
in 15 minutes. PIS is pricey though.
KC