Slightly OT - leaving 5 mo old for a day

Old March 26th 04, 12:49 PM
Kari

Default Slightly OT - leaving 5 mo old for a day

I'm not sure what to say about the car. My kids were great in the
car at that age, so I'm not sure how big a deal that is. Dance

competitions
are loud, and I've found little ones tend to just fall asleep in noisy
places.

He does. Sometimes. I took him to a baby shower about 3 weeks ago and he
would not sleep the whole time. Finally he conked out after screaming for 15
minutes by the end only to wake up as soon as I put him in the carseat to
leave.

Will it be too loud for him? Some competitions have the audience on flat
gym or ballroom floors, if this is one of them you could bring a stroller.

Yes, it's going to be at a banquet hall.

As for the breast feeding in public...I've seen much more exposed
breast on the dancers than you'll have breastfeeding, and the audience
is usually somewhat dark.

Im not worried about the breast feeding in public. I should have clarified.
It's finding a comfortable spot (for both he and I) to nurse. By
comfortable, I meant literally We'll be there ALL day from early morning
until later evening.

How many numbers is your daughter in? Will there be lots of sit and
watch time? Or will you mostly be running from front to do hair and
makeup and then back to watch? My daughter was in few enough
numbers there was tons of sitting and watching time, so you might have
lots of time to snuggle and feed.

Yea, she's in one and it's at 11 in the morning. After that it's going to be
sit and watch all day.

Thanks

Kari

Old March 26th 04, 12:49 PM
Kari

"who" wrote in message ...
Can you bring a babysitter with you? Someone that could entertain baby
and bring him back to you when hungry?

That would be my husband, lol.

Old March 26th 04, 12:51 PM
Kari

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
. cam.ac.uk...
I've been on several day trips, usually because I am involved in a sports
event. I take ds and dh with me, I've ended up breastfeeding in some very
unusual places, like perched on a boat trailer when it's snowing! If ds
needs to nap and it isn't happening easily, dh takes him for a walk in the
buggy, or carrier.

That's what I'm afraid of though. I hate breastfeeding in unusal places!!!
I had to do it at the school gym on the bleachers and it was sooooo
uncomfortable. I must be a big baby but it hurts my back if I dont have a
chair or something with a back on it.

And my dh will take him for a walk in the bjorn and it does help keep him
happy.

Thanks for all the replies you guys, Im leaning towards taking him now
actually

Kari

Old March 26th 04, 01:22 PM
Sidheag McCormack

It sounds as though your 5mo is a bit more ready to be without his mother
than my almost-5mo, but still, from what you say I'd think it would be
better overall to stay at home, especially as your daughter doesn't
particularly want you to be there.

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003
Old March 26th 04, 01:44 PM
dejablues

If the competition is in an interesting city, find something to go and do
(like a museum, mall, park, zoo) for part of the day. I'd go buggy sitting
and watching dancing all day if my child wasn't in it!

Old March 26th 04, 03:38 PM
Nikki

Kari wrote:

So, what would you guys do? I need to decide soon, like tonight.

I would either take the baby and your mom with you. Your mom could take the
baby for a stroller ride etc. etc. Or I would send your mom with Kaylie and
stay home with the boys.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old March 26th 04, 04:19 PM
Kari

I would either take the baby and your mom with you. Your mom could take

the
baby for a stroller ride etc. etc. Or I would send your mom with Kaylie

and
stay home with the boys.

I think that's what Im going to do - stay home with the boys. I talked to
her and my husband about it again this morning and they agreed that was
probably best. He said he would video tape the entire performance and he'll
have the phone with him so I can call her and wish her good luck and then
congrats afterwards. It just seems easier and I know she will have other
performances that I will make it to. Im still sad about missing it but I
guess I need to do what's easiest on Xander right now (and me!)

Thanks

Kari

Old March 26th 04, 05:06 PM
P. Tierney

"Kari" wrote in message
My 8 yr old has a dance competition on the 3rd of April. Up until tonight

was planning on it being a 2 day affair but I just found out that her team
only performs one of those days. We'd have to leave by 6am to get to the
site by 9am and she has to stay until the awards ceremony that night,
scheduled for around 8pm.

The thought of taking my 5 month old along makes me cringe. It's a 3 hour
trip first of all and he doesn't really like being in the car. Also with

no
where to nap aside from my arms, trying to nurse him in a setting which I
know might be very difficult. It's not really a place for an infant.

He will not take a bottle so that is out of the question. I have started

him
on cereal (he'll be 6 mos on the 1st) and he's taking a cup of ebm and

water
but for the most part, he still eats every 3 hours.

So, do I take him? Do I leave him for the day with my parents - who will

be
up anyway because we were planning on the 2 day affair and they are going

be watching my middle son. OR do I stay home with the boys and let my mom

go
in my place? Kaylie needs a woman along to help her in the dressing room,
with her makeup and she doesn't want another of the dance mom's to help

her
(I asked)

My daughter doesn't care if I miss it. I dont want to miss it really, but

dont know if Xander would be ok for over 12 hours with no momma. He

doesn't
drink well enough from a cup yet for it to be near enough for the day.

Plus,
he will not settle down for naps or bedtime without his nursies. My mom
would have a very hard time keeping him I think.

So, what would you guys do? I need to decide soon, like tonight.

I wouldn't go if you think it would be too much trouble.
OTOH, I think it might easily be more manageable than you
think. It depends on the temperament of the child. But if you
think that there will be problems, then stay home, and consider
yourself lucky that you have such an understanding daughter
(though who will do her makeup if you don't go?). Still, I bet
it will end up being a lot easier than you think.

I posted similar questions when my child was younger
and I worried about trips, air or car. The advice was always to
go anyway. I always did and never regretted it.

P.
Tierney

Old March 26th 04, 05:58 PM
Sue

Kari wrote:
I think that's what Im going to do - stay home with the boys.

How does your daughter feel about you not going and seeing her performance?
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old March 26th 04, 06:06 PM
Kari

"Sue" wrote in message
Kari wrote:
I think that's what Im going to do - stay home with the boys.

How does your daughter feel about you not going and seeing her

performance?
--

She didnt act like it bothered her at all when I asked. I dont know if it's
because she does a lot of performances throughout the year and this would be

Certianly if she was upset by it, I would most definately go. I dont want to
miss it, it's such a hard decision and I hate making decisions because I
usually pick the wrong thing :P

Kari