Earliest Memories Remembered During Adulthood

Old March 22nd 06, 02:14 AM posted to misc.kids

Default Earliest Memories Remembered During Adulthood

How can you be sure the memory is from when you were 26 months, rather from
a later time when you heard your parents re-tell the story and it then
became a memory to you?

--
"markansas859" wrote in message
my earliest memory is from age 26 months

it was October 1961, my parents bought a new 1962 Chevrolet, nd I threw a
fit... "thats not our car, etc, etc,etc"

took both parents , and the salesman to get me in the Chevrolet the first
time

Old March 22nd 06, 02:44 AM posted to misc.kids

"Me Myself and I" wrote in message
How can you be sure the memory is from when you were 26 months, rather
from a later time when you heard your parents re-tell the story and it
then became a memory to you?

I agree. I have vivid memories of watching a particular
Star Trek episode. I remember it very clearly, and I
can *see* certain scenes in my mind. The problem
is that the episode doesn't exist. Either I literally
dreamed it up, or I read one of those Star Trek books
and pictured the visuals in my mind.

IMHO memories are very unreliable things. Studies
have even shown that you can plant false memories
in people's minds. So I tend to be very skeptical
of extremely early memories.

Not that 26 months is *extremely* early. A friend
swears that she remembers looking through the bars
of her crib and seeing her grandma brushing her hair
when she was less than 6 months old. I doubt that
one no only because it was so early, but because
so many first memories are of a traumatic or
exciting event.

Bizby

Old March 22nd 06, 02:56 AM posted to misc.kids

In case anyone would like to listen to my favorite songs, here you go:

Old March 22nd 06, 02:59 AM posted to misc.kids

You would first need to make a yahoo account and become a member of the
"Memorial Music" group. I am sorry if this is OT for misc.kids.

Once again, I apologize for the irrelevance to misc.kids

Old March 22nd 06, 06:11 AM posted to misc.kids

Radium wrote:
Hi:

I am aware the average age at which long-term retention of memories is
3. What the earliest age known at which a person has had long-term
memories that were retained in adulthood [i.e. something similar to the
Guiness Book of Records for earliest memory]?

I seem to be able to remember things that happened when I was 2 years
old and slightly earlier. I am now 22 years old.

I was 19 mos old when we drove to a neighboring city to get our dog. I
remember the drive, remember the back yard of the house - a swingset
and a little dark-haired girl who had on a rainbow-colored playsuit.

I know this is not a story anyone told me because when I recounted the
story to my Mom when I was in my 20's, she was astounded that I
remembered what the little girl was wearing.

-L.

Old March 22nd 06, 06:14 AM posted to misc.kids

enigma wrote:

Boo has memories of pre-life, i swear. back when he was 2.5 &
had very little speech, i was house hunting online. one of the
houses was a very Victorian, with all the period detail &
furnishings. this house drew Boo's attention & he quite
clearly said "that's JUST like my *old* grandma's house!".
first, he had never said grandma in any context before, &
second, neither of his grandmothers live in anything faintly
Victorian...

This is not unheard of.

he loves antiquing & can name things kids now never saw.
he's also told me about the mommy & baby ghost in my room. he
used to talk to the baby, but i haven't heard him lately. he
says it makes him sad.

My nephew has an uncanny ability to take things apart and reassemble
them - started doing so at age 2.5. We think he is my father
reincarnated - my Dad was a mechanical engineer.

-L.

Old March 22nd 06, 06:18 AM posted to misc.kids

Me Myself and I wrote:
How can you be sure the memory is from when you were 26 months, rather from
a later time when you heard your parents re-tell the story and it then
became a memory to you?

For me, it is the inconsequential detail that I recounted (the little
girl's dress and hair color), that no one except my Mother would have
ever seen. When I recounted it to my Mom she was shocked that I
remembered, and she knows she never talked about it before.

-L.

Old March 24th 06, 04:54 PM posted to misc.kids

Me Myself and I wrote:
How can you be sure the memory is from when you were 26 months, rather
from a later time when you heard your parents re-tell the
story and it then became a memory to you?

I AM a car nut

always have been

I know a grey car from a green car... the Chevrolet was green

we bought it in Kansas, my dads 57 Plymouth broke down

we drove back to Iowa where we lived.

we stopped at a car wash to get the car washed before taking it home for the
first time

unfortunately, the car ahead of us in line backed into it, and smashed the
bumper, grill, and both drivers headlights

believe me, I remember

Old March 24th 06, 08:10 PM posted to misc.kids

Me Myself and I wrote:
How can you be sure the memory is from when you were 26 months

I remember from 23 months. LOL.

Old March 25th 06, 03:15 AM posted to misc.kids

My first memory was at 24 months, I remember my brother laughing in his high
chair, and where that was in the house.
Not a long memory.
My next memory was finding him dead in his cot..I was 26 months, then a few
days later the funeral.
Nothing from then till about 5 though.
Weird

"Radium" wrote in message