Cloth diapering - diapers don't fit with wraps?

Old August 10th 06, 04:36 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Default Cloth diapering - diapers don't fit with wraps?

Maybe it's just us...

I have Chinese pre-folds, newborn size, and a number of wraps - bummis,
kushies, all newborn size. The diapers seem *way* too big for the
wraps, and at the same time we can't seem to get them in right so that
each poop stays on the diaper and not on the wrap, or is this normal? I
didn't think we needed as many wraps as diapers.

Any suggestions?

(last time I used cloth diapers was with pins and plastic pants!)

Old August 10th 06, 06:00 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Lara

cjra wrote:

I have Chinese pre-folds, newborn size, and a number of wraps - bummis,
kushies, all newborn size. The diapers seem *way* too big for the
wraps, and at the same time we can't seem to get them in right so that
each poop stays on the diaper and not on the wrap, or is this normal? I
didn't think we needed as many wraps as diapers.

It's possible you just need larger wraps. Lots of babies never go into a
"newborn" size wrap at all. My lad went straight into Small size (Bummis
Original) from birth (six pounds).

For a bunch of folding links (including photos/videos) that might help
your technique, check out
http://www.ozclothnappies.org/links

Lara
Old August 10th 06, 06:28 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

cjra writes:
: Maybe it's just us...

: I have Chinese pre-folds, newborn size, and a number of wraps - bummis,
: kushies, all newborn size. The diapers seem *way* too big for the
: wraps, and at the same time we can't seem to get them in right so that
: each poop stays on the diaper and not on the wrap, or is this normal? I
: didn't think we needed as many wraps as diapers.

: Any suggestions?

: (last time I used cloth diapers was with pins and plastic pants!)

What is a chinese pre-fold. Is that the same as a tri-fold, with an
extra layer of cloth down the middle of the diaper? That is what we
used. I know for sure that optimal folding technique for a boy is
different from a girl, (and for me, girls were easier).

I always folded the sides into the larger layer at the center of the
diaper and centered it at the crotch. I spread the diaper as far as
possible in the front and back, folding down the top edge in the front
or back at the waist, if necessary. In this position, the wrap
should fit exactly over the diaper, not leaving diaper sticking out,
but not having an excess of wrap rubbing against leg either.

Still, even with this technique, you will lose at least half of the
wraps. We found we usually needed 6 to 8 wraps, assuming we were
washing every other day.

Where are you leaking, back, leg, or front (for us it was usually
leg with an occasional back). Remember how you wrapped last time
and reposition the diaper based on where the leak is. Within a
few more weeks, you should cut the leaks down considerably.

(wow! It's amazing I can still remember this stuff 5 years later!

Larry
Old August 11th 06, 07:40 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

Maybe it's just us...

I have Chinese pre-folds, newborn size, and a number of wraps - bummis,
kushies, all newborn size. The diapers seem *way* too big for the
wraps, and at the same time we can't seem to get them in right so that
each poop stays on the diaper and not on the wrap, or is this normal? I
didn't think we needed as many wraps as diapers.

Any suggestions?

hmm, our prefold fit the wraps we got with them perfectly, but I did notice
that those wraps were a little bigger than the smaller ones of the wraps we
already had, have you checked the wraps you have are designed for prefolds?
I think you really just have one problem, if the diaper isn't fitting, then
it gets wrinkled and then won't be shaped right for catching everything,
we've had the same problem recently when we bought bigger liners thinking
they would catch better than the smaller ones which occasionaly weren't
catching everything, but they've been worse.

Although they are called prefolds, there are actually more than one way of
folding them, in which direction are they too big? if they are too long,
then you can pleat in the middle (for a girl, you'd do towards the front for
a boy), before you fold into 3. If this then still has escaping poo, instead
of folding into 3 you can roll the side thirds towards the middle, so there
are two raised bits to prevent it leaking out.

Anne

Old August 11th 06, 07:42 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

Still, even with this technique, you will lose at least half of the
wraps. We found we usually needed 6 to 8 wraps, assuming we were
washing every other day.

depends on the child, we probably lose 2 wraps a week and that has been
fairly consistent since birth, we have to consiously remember to wash the
wraps as they don't get soiled often enough to stop them getting smelly
otherwise

Anne

Old August 11th 06, 08:23 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Cheri Stryker

cjra wrote:

Maybe it's just us...

I have Chinese pre-folds, newborn size, and a number of wraps - bummis,
kushies, all newborn size. The diapers seem *way* too big for the
wraps, and at the same time we can't seem to get them in right so that
each poop stays on the diaper and not on the wrap, or is this normal? I
didn't think we needed as many wraps as diapers.

I think that's a myth that needs to be busted: all diapers leak.

Do you put the diaper on the baby, and then the wrap on after it's all
fastened? I've found it's a lot easier to get a tight fit around the
leg, that way. And after I put the wrap on, I go around the legs and
stuff in any sticking out material, as well as make sure that the gusset
is covering - sometimes it kinda gets folded in.

Also, on the topic of washing wraps, I guess it's me, or my baby's pee,
but I don't wash 'em in the machine more often than I do a white load
(about once/twice a week). For just pee, no biggie, I keep the wraps
hanging up, over the change table, and air drying seems to be fine. For
poop leaks, I wash in the sink. If I can get it all out, it goes back
into circulation when dry; if not, then it goes into the laundry pile.
I have 6 wraps, but I can make it with 5. (For the hand washing, I have
very hot hot water, and I put about a tablespoon of liquid laundry soap
in my peri bottle full of water, and scrub with a fingernail brush when
needed. - Rather proud of finding a new use for that bottle.)

Caveat: Baby does get changed frequently, so no wrap gets totally
soaked with pee. In those instances where it does get soaked, it gets
washed. Also, depending on the construction of the wrap, but I've found
that the ones we have that are nylon, not plastic or plastic-lined, WILL
soak through the cover; not at the leg or anything, but right through,
if baby's putting pressure on it. (DS2 absolutely loves his new door
jumper....)
--
Cheri Stryker

mom to DS1 - 7 yrs, and DS2 - 5.5 months
Old August 12th 06, 09:30 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Nikki

"cjra" wrote in message
ups.com...
Maybe it's just us...

I have Chinese pre-folds, newborn size, and a number of wraps - bummis,
kushies, all newborn size. The diapers seem *way* too big for the
wraps, and at the same time we can't seem to get them in right so that
each poop stays on the diaper and not on the wrap, or is this normal? I
didn't think we needed as many wraps as diapers.

Any suggestions?

I'm not familiar with those wraps as I've only ever used one thing. Proraps
w/Chinese prefolds.

I fold the prefold by laying it with the seams at the top and bottom. I
fold each side over the middle. I then place it in the wrap and place all
that under the baby. I put the back of the prefold at about belly button
height. I then sort of open up the front and fold that part down and under
until it is also at belly button level. I don't pin or anything, just close
up the Velcro wrap. I then make sure that all the cloth is tucked into the
cover. They are now big enough that I no longer need to fold under the top
part but I'll need to move up to the next size prefold pretty soon and then
I'll have to start doing that again.

I don't have any trouble with things leaking outside the wrap but the poo
does leak out the diaper and soil the wraps. I hang the wraps that just had
a pee diaper up to dry and use them over and over until wash day. I throw
the soiled wraps in the diaper pail and wash them with the diapers.

I have heard of a 'jelly' roll where instead of folding the diaper you roll
up the sides and then flair it out in the front and back. That might
contain the poo but frankly I doubt it with a breastfed baby. I've not
tried it though only because it doesn't look very comfy to me.

Good luck finding something that works. I'm so happy I tried cloth this
time. It is so easy and it is saving me a *fortune*.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99