Banking cord blood, private public or ??

Old February 7th 07, 09:49 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

Default Banking cord blood, private public or ??

Wife is expecting soon, and would like to know the pros and cons of
banking cord blood privately. I'm tired of reading the marketing ads
trying to make me feel guilty.

I've recently read this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4702857/

Old February 7th 07, 10:02 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

On Feb 7, 1:49 pm, wrote:
Wife is expecting soon, and would like to know the pros and cons of
banking cord blood privately. I'm tired of reading the marketing ads
trying to make me feel guilty.

I've recently read this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4702857/

I also found this from the AAP

http://aap.org/advocacy/releases/jan07cordblood.htm

Old February 7th 07, 10:11 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

wrote:
Wife is expecting soon, and would like to know the pros and cons of
banking cord blood privately. I'm tired of reading the marketing ads
trying to make me feel guilty.

I've recently read this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4702857/

I think that article about sums it up. Obviously,
the big cost of private banking is the cost. The potential
cost of either public or private banking is that in order
to increase the harvest, they often clamp and cut the cord
before it stops pulsating. When that happens (whether for
banking or just because they're a bit trigger happy on
cutting the cord), that means that blood isn't going into
your baby. While there are a few situations in which it
is not a good thing, in most cases that blood is beneficial
to your baby. So, there's a downside to not letting your
baby have that blood, only to store it away with a very,
very small likelihood of it ever being used.
There are situations in which it is a good idea
to bank privately, but not for most healthy families,
at least according to the AAP and just about any other
unbiased account I've ever seen.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old February 7th 07, 11:20 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

I honestly think it's a just don't go there situation, unless you have some
kind of heritary disease where it would have a high chance of being used (in
the UK I think this would qualify you for banking by the NHS, maybe it would
be covered on insurance here?).

If for any reason a managed 3rd stage was necessary (much less common than
doctors woud have you believe), then if it was an option I'd consider
donating to a public bank.

Cheers

Anne