Male teen--19--room and board

Old April 10th 04, 07:47 PM
Keith

Default Male teen--19--room and board

My parents did the same thing when I was in that situation. I ate with the
family, but paid most of my own bills when I was 18 or 19. They charged me
50 a week (I think. it's been a while). But then When I got married, I found
out that they had been banking it all and gave it back to me as a wedding
gift.

"August" wrote in message
We had the exact same situation. 18 1/2 years old and working in the
kitchen of a steak house. Working slightly less than full time though

and
making less that $8.00 an hour so his take home pay was less than your
son's.
We charged our son $50 a week for room and board and stopped buying his
clothes and paying his car insurance. We would treat him when he went out
with us as a family, he could eat with the rest of the family & raid the
cupboards for snacks but if he did something like fry up a pound of bacon
for a midnight snack he had to replace it.
We took all the money he gave us and put it in savings in case he needed

it
for an emergency down the road....mostly thinking medical since once he
dropped out of college he was no longer covered on our insurance. Or, if

he
needed a loan for car repairs we could lend it to him from his own money
;-)
The small rent payment and responsibility toward other things was enough

keep him having to watch his money but not breaking his bank. We didn't
want to force him cold turkey into the real world, but wanted to make sure
he knew it wasn't a free ride.
~August

"Mordido" wrote in message
om...
My son's almost 19. He's dropping out of college near the end of his
freshman year. He was told that as long as he was in school, he'd not
be charged room & board. Now he's quiting school, has a job at $8.50
an hour cooking for a steakhouse and working full time. That's about
$340 a week gross, about $272 net, and about $1088 a month net. Can
anyone provide some insight on charging him room & board, i.e. do I
charge a percentage or what would be fair. He's my son and I don't
mind feeding him and helping him out, but I feel it doesn't help him
to not charge him room & board because in the real world things just
aren't that simple and easy. I want him to get an idea of what it'll
be like when he gets his own place and has to pay rent, food,
utilities, clothing, haircuts, etc--all out of his own money, which
until recently his mother and I have taken care of. So, if someone
can find the time, please advise on how much or how my wife and I
should go about charging our 19-year-old son for room and board.

P.S. To get an idea of the cost of living, we live outside
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Old April 11th 04, 06:10 AM
Gypsy0005

My son's almost 19. He's dropping out of college near the end of his
freshman year. He was told that as long as he was in school, he'd not
be charged room & board. Now he's quiting school, has a job at $8.50

My daughter is 20 and employed full time. We don't charge rent, but she does
pay her own personal bills. She pays her car insurance, cell phone, credit
cards. She does help out around the house and does take care of her younger
sister on occasion when I work. She shops for food on a fairly regular basis
and when she gets a yen for something special she does buy for everyone. We
dont charge rent because we want her to have the opportunity to save some
money. Average rent in our area for a 1 bdrm apt. is about $1,000 so I don't
see her moving anytime soon. As long as she is being responsible for her bills
and contributing to the house in some way I think we'll keep it that way.

Old April 11th 04, 06:10 AM
Gypsy0005

[...]

Attention: CMU President and Board... The only real Barbara Schwarz Kids Health 5 February 14th 04 12:28 AM
Center for troubled teens is under fire wexwimpy Foster Parents 1 February 5th 04 03:43 PM
At 3:22 am mom & son nancy Pregnancy 1 December 20th 03 06:57 PM
PPAC, vaccinations and chiro bouncer Bob (Bob Dubin, Diplomate, American Board of Chiropractic Censorship) Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 1 September 6th 03 08:55 PM
Bedtime destruction-Xpost Kender General 21 August 5th 03 06:19 PM