Aspartame linked to increased cancer risk in rats

Old November 19th 05, 07:15 PM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med.nursing

Default Aspartame linked to increased cancer risk in rats

Note from Ilena:
Rumsfeld was the CEO of Searle Pharma who developed
aspartame/nutrasweet which was sold to Monsanto.

The quackwatch/junkscience propaganda team was hired to obfuscate the
details and facts regarding the dangers of this drug ... you will see
Probert and Bowditch and other Barrett/Quack liars spreading
disinformation and attacking health activist Ms Martini on Usenet for
years.

She has never given up ... and now more and more studies showing the
links are coming out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Aspartame linked to increased cancer risk in rats
Published online: 18 November 2005
http://www.nature.com/news/2005/0511...051114-15.html

Aspartame linked to increased cancer risk in rats
Study contradicts previous findings on safety of sweetener.
Charlotte Schubert

Italian researchers are challenging the safety of aspartame, the
low-calorie
sweetener found in NutraSweet, diet sodas and thousands of other food
products.

Rats that have been fed the sweetener can develop cancer, the
researchers
report, even at doses below the recommended limits for people. The
findings
contradict most other studies, which have suggested that aspartame is
safe.

However, experts note that this recent study was conducted in an
unorthodox
way, and critics are finding it tough to understand how the sweetener
could
cause cancer. This is because aspartame breaks down into compounds
that are
normally found in the body and in food before they enter the
bloodstream.

"It is intriguing data," says James Popp, vice president of the
Society of
Toxicology, based in Reston, Virginia. "The scientific community will
have
to look at this and ask what the two types of study are telling us."

Both the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the European Food
Safety
Authority have promised to review the group's findings. Neither has
recommended any changes to the use of aspartame. "We have seen a lot
of very
solid data and are very comfortable with it," says George Pauli, at
the FDA
office of food additive safety.

Rats on a diet

The FDA's approval of aspartame, in 1981, for use in food was based in
part
on several cancer-safety studies. The European Food Safety Authority
re-evaluated aspartame in 2002 and did not change its previous
assessment.

Morando Soffritti and colleagues at the Cesare Maltoni Cancer Research
Center in Bologna, Italy, decided to re-test aspartame. They are also
testing several other common substances thought to be harmless, from
vitamin
C to cola. They have just published their conclusions on aspartame in
the
journal Environmental Health Perspectives1.

To evaluate the sweetener, the researchers fed it to a test group of
1,800
rats, from the early age of eight weeks. They then allowed the rats to
live
out a full lifetime, up to about three years. After death they probed
the
rat tissues for signs of cancer.

Some types of cancer were increased in rats fed relatively low doses.
For
example, at doses from 20 to 500 milligrams per kilogram of body
weight,
about 20% of female rats fed aspartame had lymphoma and leukaemia,
compared
with 9% of the aspartame-free females. Male rats had to consume much
more
than the females to increase their risk of these blood cancers. Both
the
control animals and those fed aspartame lived to about the same age.

For people, the safe daily limit is 40 milligrams per kilogram of body
weight, according to the World Health Organization. A person would
have to
drink more than 28 cans of diet cola a day to exceed that.

Not so sweet

The research was done in a nontraditional way, says John Bucher,
deputy
director of the environmental toxicology programme at the US National
Institute of Environmental Health Sciences: rats are generally killed
at two
years of age in such studies.

The two types of approach have their own advantages, he says. Letting
the
animals live for longer enables researchers to get a fuller sense of
whether
cancer will develop, since cancer risk increases with age. But the
statistical analysis is "problematic" since it's tough to compare
animals
that have died at different ages. Nonetheless, the study has a lot of
strengths, says Bucher, including the large group of test animals.

Other researchers say that exactly how aspartame could cause cancer is
unclear. In the body, aspartame breaks down into two amino acids,
which are
components of normal food proteins, and methanol. Methanol, although
it can
be toxic, is not generally regarded as a carcinogen and is present in
common
products including juice.

Michele Medinsky, a private toxicology consultant in Durham, North
Carolina,
says that some of the previous carcinogenicity studies done by the
Italian
group have been inconsistent with those of other researchers.

More than 8,000 tons of aspartame, found in about 6,000 products, are
consumed each year in the United States.

References
SoffrittiM., et al. Environ. Health Perspect, doi: 10.1289/eh.8711
(2005).

Old November 19th 05, 08:41 PM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med.nursing

Ilena Rose wrote in message

Note from Ilena:
Rumsfeld was the CEO of Searle Pharma who developed
aspartame/nutrasweet which was sold to Monsanto.

I think that is a great way to get rid of Rats.
Give them all cancer.

PJ

Old November 19th 05, 10:58 PM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med.nursing

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 15:41:01 -0500, "Peanutjake"
wrote:

Ilena Rose wrote in message
.. .

Note from Ilena:
Rumsfeld was the CEO of Searle Pharma who developed
aspartame/nutrasweet which was sold to Monsanto.

I think that is a great way to get rid of Rats.
Give them all cancer.

PJ

I'm more concerned about the millions of people hooked on nutrasweet
who are continually lied to that it is 'safe' ...

Monsanto has hired the junkscience team to obfuscate the dangers.
Old November 20th 05, 05:13 AM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med.nursing

If I ever have pet rats, I will consider not feeding them diet coke.

Jeff

Old November 20th 05, 06:34 AM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med.nursing

"Jeff" wrote in message
ink.net...
If I ever have pet rats, I will consider not feeding them diet coke.

Jeff

5th Newsflash to Jeff.

Rats are used for research. Anytime you like to volunteer to be the first
human, step right up.

In the meantime, if you have any sense, which appears doubtful, you might
consider NOT using aspartame.

Hint, hint.

Old November 20th 05, 01:40 PM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med.nursing

"JanD" wrote in message
newsNUff.557555$x96.159115@attbi_s72...

"Jeff" wrote in message
ink.net...
If I ever have pet rats, I will consider not feeding them diet coke.

Jeff

5th Newsflash to Jeff.

Rats are used for research. Anytime you like to volunteer to be the first
human, step right up.

Having used rats for research, I am quite well aware of this.

I am also quite well aware of the limitations of using data from rats and
applying them to humans. Rats are not humans.

In the meantime, if you have any sense, which appears doubtful, you might
consider NOT using aspartame.

I have. I have looked at the evidence that aspartame is harmful. It is
underwhelming.

Jeff

Hint, hint.

Old November 20th 05, 10:48 PM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med.nursing

"Jeff" wrote in message
ink.net...

"JanD" wrote in message
newsNUff.557555$x96.159115@attbi_s72...

"Jeff" wrote in message
ink.net...
If I ever have pet rats, I will consider not feeding them diet coke.

Jeff

5th Newsflash to Jeff.

Rats are used for research. Anytime you like to volunteer to be the first
human, step right up.

Having used rats for research, I am quite well aware of this.

Then why do you keep making the same *stupid* statement?

Research is NOT done for anyone's pet rats.

I am also quite well aware of the limitations of using data from rats and
applying them to humans. Rats are not humans.

Then I can only assume, you would think that all research should stop. Is
that correct, Jeff?

Now, don't forget to answer.

You need to let these researchers know that these limitations certainly are
a waste of their time and lots of money.

In the meantime, if you have any sense, which appears doubtful, you might
consider NOT using aspartame.

I have.

Oh? Why?

I have looked at the evidence that aspartame is harmful. It is
underwhelming.

Really?

So your mind is closed.

You don't use it, you are just here to mouth off, simply becuase IIena
posted it.

Thanks for making that clear

Jan

Jeff

Hint, hint.

Old November 22nd 05, 02:32 AM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med.nursing

"JanD" wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message
ink.net...

"JanD" wrote in message
newsNUff.557555$x96.159115@attbi_s72...

"Jeff" wrote in message
ink.net...
If I ever have pet rats, I will consider not feeding them diet coke.

Jeff

5th Newsflash to Jeff.

Rats are used for research. Anytime you like to volunteer to be the
first human, step right up.

Having used rats for research, I am quite well aware of this.

Then why do you keep making the same *stupid* statement?

Research is NOT done for anyone's pet rats.

I am also quite well aware of the limitations of using data from rats and
applying them to humans. Rats are not humans.

Then I can only assume, you would think that all research should stop. Is
that correct, Jeff?

Why would you assume this?

I definitely think research should continue. But we need to understand the
results of the research before applying it to humans.

Now, don't forget to answer.

You need to let these researchers know that these limitations certainly
are a waste of their time and lots of money.

Why? Everything we do has limitations. I am sure they are aware of the
limitations.

Jeff

garbage deleted

Old November 22nd 05, 05:16 AM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med.nursing

"Jeff" wrote in message
nk.net...

"JanD" wrote in message
> [...]

"Jeff" wrote in message
ink.net...

"JanD" wrote in message
newsNUff.557555$x96.159115@attbi_s72...

"Jeff" wrote in message
ink.net...
If I ever have pet rats, I will consider not feeding them diet coke.

Jeff

5th Newsflash to Jeff.

Rats are used for research. Anytime you like to volunteer to be the
first human, step right up.

Having used rats for research, I am quite well aware of this.

Then why do you keep making the same *stupid* statement?

Research is NOT done for anyone's pet rats.

I am also quite well aware of the limitations of using data from rats
and applying them to humans. Rats are not humans.

Then I can only assume, you would think that all research should stop. Is
that correct, Jeff?

Why would you assume this?

From the same stupid statement you keep making.

I definitely think research should continue. But we need to understand the
results of the research before applying it to humans.

You shouuld notify the research departments, they are not understanding
correctly.

Now, don't forget to answer.

You need to let these researchers know that these limitations certainly
are a waste of their time and lots of money.

Why?

YOU are the one who seems to have the problem with how they are doing
things.

Everything we do has limitations. I am sure they are aware of the
limitations.

It appears you are talking out of both sides of your mouth.

They did a study on Aspartame linked to increased cancer risk in rats

They did NOT do the study for the benefit of anyone's pet rats.

I assume that even you are smart enough to figure out WHY they did the
study.

Jeff

garbage deleted

NOT garbage restored:

Jeff can't deal with the truth, nor answer certain questions.

In the meantime, if you have any sense, which appears doubtful, you might
consider NOT using aspartame.

I have.

Oh? Why?

I have looked at the evidence that aspartame is harmful. It is

underwhelming.

Really?

So your mind is closed.

You don't use it, you are just here to mouth off, simply because IIena

Old November 22nd 05, 02:05 PM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med.nursing

"JanD" wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message
nk.net...

"JanD" wrote in message
> [...]

"Jeff" wrote in message
ink.net...

"JanD" wrote in message
newsNUff.557555$x96.159115@attbi_s72...

"Jeff" wrote in message
ink.net...
If I ever have pet rats, I will consider not feeding them diet coke.

Jeff

5th Newsflash to Jeff.

Rats are used for research. Anytime you like to volunteer to be the
first human, step right up.

Having used rats for research, I am quite well aware of this.

Then why do you keep making the same *stupid* statement?

Research is NOT done for anyone's pet rats.

I am also quite well aware of the limitations of using data from rats
and applying them to humans. Rats are not humans.

Then I can only assume, you would think that all research should stop.
Is that correct, Jeff?

Why would you assume this?

From the same stupid statement you keep making.

[...]

I did an extensive report on Aspartame and it is not harmful. Dr. Bowen is a
nut job and Betty Martini is a liar.

If you can handle 20 + pages of stuff I'll post it.

Andrew

--
Mr. Transmission Sucks!
http://mrtransmissionsucks.com

To email me remove the NOSPAM in my email address

aspartame induces lymphomas and leukaemias in rats, free full plain text, M Soffritti, F Belpoggi, DD Esposti, L Lambertini, 2005 April, 2005.07.14: main results agree with their previous methanol and formaldehyde studies, Murray 2005.07.19 Rich Murray Kids Health 0 July 25th 05 06:19 AM
GLOBAL RELEASE - ASPARTAME TOXICITY Jeff Kids Health 3 September 20th 04 02:28 PM
ABC propaganda on aspartame john Kids Health 17 September 18th 04 08:17 PM
Insomnia Zaz Pregnancy 8 July 3rd 04 07:00 PM
aspartame (methanol, formaldehyde) toxicity: Murray 10.15.3 rmforall Rich Murray Pregnancy 0 October 17th 03 04:58 AM