Study Examines Risk For Misuse Of ADHD Stimulant Mediciations

Old April 18th 06, 01:14 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

Default Study Examines Risk For Misuse Of ADHD Stimulant Mediciations

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/prin...p?newsid=40713

Note from Jan: The Long Term Study shows those on ADHD drugs ARE the ones
abusing these drugs and getting high. They were also the ones who have
substance abuse disorder and selling the drugs. Which exposes the lies told
here.

Study Examines Risk For Misuse Of ADHD Stimulant Medications

A major concern regarding the use of stimulant medications to treat
attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adolescents and young
adults has been the risk that they will be misused or diverted to those for
whom they have not been prescribed. A new study from Massachusetts General
Hospital (MGH) researchers has found that, while the great majority of young
people with ADHD use their medications appropriately, a small percentage are
likely to abuse or to sell prescribed stimulants. The report, appearing in
the April 2006 Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent
Psychiatry, also identifies factors that may characterize those most likely
to misuse their drugs and suggests potential strategies to reduce the risk.

"In finding that misuse of stimulants prescribed for ADHD typically takes
place in the context of abuse of other substances, our results show
remarkable convergence with previous surveys of stimulant abuse among
college students," says Timothy Wilens, MD, director of Substance Abuse
Services in MGH Pediatric Psychopharmacology, who led the study. "By putting
a face on these patients, we can start to address the problem with targeted
strategies."

The current investigation enrolled participants in a long-term study of
young men treated with medications for a variety of behavioral and
psychiatric disorders. Ten years after originally joining that study, 98
participants - 55 with ADHD and 48 who did not have ADHD - were interviewed
about their overall progress and current symptoms. The young men, with an
average age of 21, also completed a confidential questionnaire asking
whether they had sold their medications or had misused them - including
taking too much, getting high on their medications, or taking them in
combination with alcohol or other substances of abuse - during the past four
years. Of the 98 surveyed participants, 46 also met the criteria for
substance use disorder and 21 for conduct disorder.

The results showed that participants with ADHD were more likely than those
without ADHD to report misusing their medication, with 11 percent admitting
selling their drugs, 22 percent reporting they took too much, 10 percent
getting high and 31 percent admitting they had taken their medication along
with alcohol or other drugs. Among those without ADHD, none reported selling
their medications, 5 percent said they had taken too much or had gotten
high, and 25 percent admitted using their medication with other drugs.

All of the ADHD participants who sold their medications also had either
substance use disorder or conduct disorder, and 83 percent of those who
reported misusing also had one of the other disorders. Another key finding
was that immediate release stimulant formulations were most likely to be
misused or diverted, while no participant reported misuse or diversion of
extended release stimulant medications.

"Now that we know who misuses those drugs and which are most likely to be
misused, we can pursue efforts to make sure they are appropriately
prescribed and monitored," says Wilens. "Our results strongly signal that we
should be more careful about what we prescribe to patients who also have
conduct disorder and substance use disorder and also support a higher risk
of misuse of immediate release stimulants, which is consistent with other
recent studies.

"While we need additional research to make definitive recommendations, from
my own experience I'd suggest that physicians prescribe extended release
formulations and consider non-stimulant drugs for those at increased risk.
And I suggest to my college-age patients that they store their drugs
securely, don't advertise that they're taking stimulants and never make them
available to others."

###

Wilens is an associate professor of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School.
His co-authors are Michael Monuteaux, ScD, Allison Swezey, and Joseph
Biederman, MD, all of MGH Pediatric Psychopharmacology; and Martin Gignac,
MD, of the University of Montreal. The study was supported by grants from
the National Institute on Drug Abuse.

Massachusetts General Hospital, established in 1811, is the original and
largest teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School. The MGH conducts the
largest hospital-based research program in the United States, with an annual
research budget of nearly $500 million and major research centers in AIDS,
cardiovascular research, cancer, cutaneous biology, medical imaging,
neurodegenerative disorders, transplantation biology and photomedicine. In
1994, MGH and Brigham and Women's Hospital joined to form Partners
HealthCare System, an integrated health care delivery system comprising the
two academic medical centers, specialty and community hospitals, a network
of physician groups, and nonacute and home health services.

Old April 19th 06, 01:17 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

God I do not know what is more scary giving him meds or having to face
those possible consequences.

Looking in hindsight my son was going nowhere anyway, arguing everythin
sceaming all day long always unhappy, expelled from school, the only
thing after years of misery that has brought some kind of sanity into
my life is meds ,so one has to balance things out.

Old April 20th 06, 03:35 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

killagigi wrote:

God I do not know what is more scary giving him meds or having to face
those possible consequences.

You may feel better if you read this information from the National
Institute on Drug Abuse:

"Treatment of ADHD with stimulants such as Ritalin and psychotherapy
help to improve the abnormal behaviors of ADHD, as well as the
self-esteem, cognition, and social and family function of the patient.
Research shows that individuals with ADHD do not become addicted to
stimulant medications when taken in the form and dosage prescribed by
doctors. In fact, it has been reported that stimulant therapy in
childhood is associated with a reduction in the risk for subsequent drug
and alcohol use disorders. Also, studies have found that individuals
with ADHD treated with stimulants such as methylphenidate are
significantly less likely than those who do not receive treatment to
abuse drugs and alcohol when they are older."

http://www.nida.nih.gov/Infofacts/Ritalin.html

Looking in hindsight my son was going nowhere anyway, arguing everythin
sceaming all day long always unhappy, expelled from school, the only
thing after years of misery that has brought some kind of sanity into
my life is meds ,so one has to balance things out.

Sounds like the benefits far outweighed any possible risk for him.

Nancy
Unique, like everyone else

Old April 22nd 06, 03:54 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

MothWrangler wrote:
killagigi wrote:

[...]

Good post, Nancy. Facts rather than journalistic fear mongering.
Old April 22nd 06, 09:17 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

"Mark Probert" wrote in message
news
MothWrangler wrote:
killagigi wrote:

[...]

Actually it was a study.

But Mark can't seem to post without lying.....

He also forget he lied when he posted the below, and left off the part I
have starred!

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...tract/111/1/97

*****Stimulant treatment in high school also did not influence drug use in
adulthood except for greater use of cocaine.******

http://www.ritalinwarnings.com/cfr_schedule2.html

http://www.apa.org/releases/adhd_drugs.html

http://www.adhd-report.com/adhd/rita...e_effects.html
1.Rapid heart beat (palpitations, tachycardia)
2.High blood pressure (hypertension)
3.Unusual heart rhythm (arrythmia)
4.Heart attack (cardiac arrest)

Central Nervous System Side Effects of Ritalin
5.Altered mental status (psychosis)
6.Hallucinations
7.Depression or excitement
8.Convulsions / seizures (excessive brain stimulation)
9.Drowsiness or "dopey" feeling
10.Confusion
11.Lack of sleep (insomnia)
12.Agitation, irritation, anxiety, nervousness
13.Hostility
14.Unhappiness (Dysphoria)
15.Impaired mental abilities (cognitive impairment on tests)
16.Jerky movements (Dyskinesias, tics, Tourette's syndrome)
17.Nervous habits (such as picking at skin or pulling hair) 18.Compulsive
behavior
19.Depression/over-sensitivity
20.Decreased social interest
21.Zombie-like behavior

Gastrointestinal Side Effects of Ritalin
22.Eating disorders (anorexia)
23.Nausea
24.Vomiting
25.Stomach ache / cramps
26.Dry mouth
27.Constipation
28.Abnormal liver function tests

Endocrine/Metabolic Side Effects of Ritalin
29.Growth problems (pituitary dysfunction)
30.Weight loss

Other Side Effects of Ritalin
31.Blurred vision
32.Headache
33.Dizziness
34.Rash/conjunctivitis/hives
35.Hair loss
36.Inflammation of the skin (dermatitis)
37.Blood disorders (anorexia, leukoplacia)
38.Involuntary discharge of urine (enuresis)
39.Fever
40.Joint pain
41.Unusual sweating

Ritalin Withdrawal and Rebound
42.Sleep problems (insomnia)
43.Evening crash
44.Depression
45.Over-activity and irritability
46.Worsening of ADHD-like symptoms

Old April 23rd 06, 05:55 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

MothWrangler wrote:
killagigi wrote:

[...]

Since it was not written by the researchers, it is NOT a study.
Old April 23rd 06, 09:37 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

MothWrangler wrote:
killagigi wrote:

[...]

Mark POSTED it and LIED AND LIED AND LIED!

*One study found that Ritalin actually reduced substance abuse by a factor
of six.
I am sorry, Jan, but I had trouble understanding your cryptic question.
However, the fact is, and is well documented, that treatment with
Ritalin, does, indeed, decrease the risk of drug abuse:

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...tract/111/1/97 *

"Mark Probert" wrote in message

A study was posted in ASAD which Jan never responded to, but was in the
thread, that just the opposite is true. I posted several studies showing
that treatment prevents abuse.

Jan does not want to hear that, and sticks her head in her rectum. *

JD FACT: I did respond, it was posted right here.

Mark was asked to post the study he has long tooted about Ritalin, he could
not.

Instead he posted other studies, which I responded to, which showed the FACT
as I stated above:

NOT for cocaine!!!!

Mark is a proven liar, SEVERAL times again.

Restored the TRUTH, Mark snipped because he can NOT deal with it....

Old April 24th 06, 02:29 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

Jan Drew wrote:
news MothWrangler wrote:
killagigi wrote:

[...]

YOU posted a ARTICLE that references a study. Journalists write
articles, and oftentimes they butcher what they are discussing when it
comes to medical studies. Thus, a distinction must be made.

There was no lie, just more of your abuse, stalking, harassment, and
annoyance.
Old April 24th 06, 09:25 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

"Mark Probert" LIED YET AGAIN!
Jan Drew wrote:
news MothWrangler wrote:
killagigi wrote:

[...]

Proof below Mark posted it, Mark is a proven liar again.

Wed, Mar 15 2006 8:07 pm
Post # 31
Under the title:

Kids Diagnosed With ADHD are MORE At Risk For Using Illicit DrugsIt
mentioned a *Ritalin study*.

Old April 24th 06, 11:27 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

Jan Drew-McCarthy wrote:
Jan Drew wrote:
"Mark Probert" LIED YET AGAIN!