Revisiting the whole pre-cooking question

Old August 7th 03, 07:04 PM
GoofeeGyrl

Default Revisiting the whole pre-cooking question

Baby is due one month from today. So I am starting to plan all the things I
can do ahead of time to prepare for staying in and doing nothing for a few
weeks. I am stocking up on usual every day items, and getting ready to make a
list of things I can cook and freeze.

I am in somewhat of a dilemma. Sophie was born mid march, so I made the usual
lasagna, soups, chilis. But this time around, we will have at least one month
of warm to hot weather after the birth, and I don't think that those
heartymeals will be something we will feel like eating when it's still 90
degrees outside. While I will still most likely make some lasagna, I am at a
loss about anything I can stock up on for warm weather.

Any suggestions would be wonderful!

Thanks
Linda
Mommy to Sophie, 2 years
and girl #2, due Sept 7th
Old August 7th 03, 08:23 PM
Lee and Cindi Thompson

"GoofeeGyrl" wrote in message
Baby is due one month from today. So I am starting to plan all the things

can do ahead of time to prepare for staying in and doing nothing for a few
weeks. I am stocking up on usual every day items, and getting ready to

make a
list of things I can cook and freeze.

Manwich
Spaghetti sauce
hamburger patties to throw on the grill
Barbecue ( this freezes really well.)
enchilada casserole.

Just a few

Cindi

Old August 7th 03, 11:38 PM
Nina

I thought I was the only one planning to do that. Once the kids go back to
schoo, I intend to spend maybe a day a week for 6 weeks cooking and storing
food in the chest freezer. (4 kids and no husband or family here, I need to
be PREPARED).
How about bbq-ed chicken and ribs? Thats one my kids like, u can do it in
the oven or crockpot and freeze it. The sauce keeps it moist. Perhaps debone
and freeze piece of chicken, I use all parts of it, and then use it for
salads, burritos tc.
Same w/ground beef, cook and freeze amounts that you can use in tacos.
Hamburger patties for hamburgers. Macaroni and cheese.

Old August 8th 03, 02:03 AM
GoofeeGyrl

I thought I was the only one planning to do that. Once the kids go back to
schoo, I intend to spend maybe a day a week for 6 weeks cooking and storing
food in the chest freezer. (4 kids and no husband or family here, I need to
be PREPARED).

I will have only me, DH, and Sophie to worry about, but I am so anal about
planning and preparing things (good old Virgo!) that I just HAVE to do it!

How about bbq-ed chicken and ribs? Thats one my kids like, u can do it in
the oven or crockpot and freeze it. The sauce keeps it moist. Perhaps debone
and freeze piece of chicken, I use all parts of it, and then use it for
salads, burritos tc.
Same w/ground beef, cook and freeze amounts that you can use in tacos.
Hamburger patties for hamburgers. Macaroni and cheese.

Thanks for the ideas. I will put taco stuff on the list, as well as mac and
cheese. It's funny how things like that just don't come to mind. Homemade Mac
and Cheese is a BIG hit at our house, all three of us go through it like it's
nothing!

Thanks again!

Linda
Mommy to Sophie, 2 years
and girl #2, due Sept 7th
Old August 8th 03, 10:52 AM
Elly

"GoofeeGyrl" ha scritto nel messaggio
[...]

Hi Linda,
I'd make vegetable lasagne for the warm weather (different kinds of veggies
like zucchini, eggplant, peppers, etc., or just spinach & ricotta cheese).
Or some steamed veggies that can be used as side dish with barbecued meat.
As for colder weather, I really like Shepherd's Pie - you can make tones of
it, it freezes well (you can make it without the mashed potatoes and then
just steam some or you can do without them altogether).

This is such a good idea! I won't need to do it since DH will be at home for
a while and then my Mom will take approx. 3 weeks off work to help, so she
will be doing all the housework including cooking while I take care of the
baby.

Elly
31 weeks + 4 days
EDD October 6th

Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM
Intro, and Toddler/Daycare Question Betty Woolf General 4 December 3rd 03 03:25 PM