C- Section question

Old August 27th 03, 03:30 PM
The Huwe Family

Default C- Section question

I will be having a C-section, and was wondering what the average length of
stay in the hospital was. My insurance company told me that we have an
"automatic" 4 day stay allowable for a c-sec. Do we really stay in that
long? I had a friend who stayed in for a week, but she got an infection.

--
Thanks,
Rob & Gayle Huwe

Old August 27th 03, 03:43 PM
Truffles

The Huwe Family wrote:
I will be having a C-section, and was wondering what the average length of
stay in the hospital was. My insurance company told me that we have an
"automatic" 4 day stay allowable for a c-sec. Do we really stay in that
long? I had a friend who stayed in for a week, but she got an infection.

I went in about 10:00 pm Friday, had the section just after midnight and
was discharged on Wednesday.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old August 27th 03, 03:48 PM
Mary W.

The Huwe Family wrote:

I will be having a C-section, and was wondering what the average length of
stay in the hospital was. My insurance company told me that we have an
"automatic" 4 day stay allowable for a c-sec. Do we really stay in that
long? I had a friend who stayed in for a week, but she got an infection.

Section was Sunday afternoon at 1 PM. They wanted to discharge me
Wed around 3, which meant hitting really bad rush hour traffic. We
dawdled and left around 7PM.

Recovery was going OK for me, but we were having trouble nursing
so I appreciated the extra time to work with the hospital LC's (not
that they were much help, ended up with a private LC a week later,
which was much more successful).

Mary

Old August 27th 03, 04:52 PM
Tracy

I had a scheduled section on Monday at 7:30am and I was discharged on
Thursday at 11:00am. I was ready to leave on Wednesday so I could come home
to sleep.

Tracy
Kyla Grace 8/18

y.com...

Old August 27th 03, 06:13 PM
Lila Verde

The Huwe Family wrote:
I will be having a C-section, and was wondering what the average length of
stay in the hospital was. My insurance company told me that we have an
"automatic" 4 day stay allowable for a c-sec. Do we really stay in that
long? I had a friend who stayed in for a week, but she got an infection.

I went in Sunday night/Monday morning at 2 a.m. (not a planned c/s,
obviously), had the c/s at 9 a.m. Monday, and was discharged Thursday
morning at around 10. I was climbing the walls by then. I definitely
could have left a day (or two) earlier. Not that I felt great--I felt
lousy in fact--but it wasn't anything that being in the hospital was
going to fix.

However, I had LOTS of help at home (DH, mom, sis) so I really didn't
have to do anything except hold and feed DS. If I had had to go home
and be primarily responsible for babycare/cooking/cleaning/laundry, I
might not have been so eager to leave the hospital g.

Lila
EDD 10/24/03
Old August 27th 03, 08:40 PM
Liz S. Reynolds

In article m,
The Huwe Family wrote:
I will be having a C-section, and was wondering what the average length of
stay in the hospital was. My insurance company told me that we have an
"automatic" 4 day stay allowable for a c-sec. Do we really stay in that
long? I had a friend who stayed in for a week, but she got an infection.

I got to the hospital around 7am Wednesday morning, had the (unplanned)
section about 11pm. Was discharged Sunday late morning.

Around 10 that night I was wishing I was back in the hospital with
lactation consultants on call. Someone said on mkb that your milk always
comes in on a flood of tears, boy was that spot-on. There I was sobbing
about how it wasn't coming and the baby was never going to nurse when I
noticed the pillow I was clutching was sopping wet :*)

-Liz

Old August 27th 03, 09:21 PM
Daye

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:30:20 GMT, "The Huwe Family"
wrote:

I will be having a C-section, and was wondering what the average length of
stay in the hospital was. My insurance company told me that we have an
"automatic" 4 day stay allowable for a c-sec. Do we really stay in that
long?

I had severe pre-eclampsia, so my stats may different from just a
c-section. I was terribly, terribly sick. I stayed in for 5 days.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan
Old August 27th 03, 10:04 PM
Marta

in Italy the average lenght of stay is 5 days - c-section day excluded,
which means you go back home on the 6th day. actually it's not a long time,
you will need a few days to recover physically before going home! :-)

y.com...

Old August 27th 03, 10:21 PM
Irrational Number

The Huwe Family wrote:
I will be having a C-section, and was wondering what the average length of
stay in the hospital was. My insurance company told me that we have an
"automatic" 4 day stay allowable for a c-sec. Do we really stay in that
long? I had a friend who stayed in for a week, but she got an infection.

My stay was very, very good. All the hospital
personnel was excellent (except for one
neonatologist, but that's another story), and
I LOVED the NICU nurses. I had a great LC, and
I credit the long stay in the hospital for
contributing to my speedy recovery. (Of course,
mom and DH and Pillbug contributed the most!)

-- Anita --
--
SUCCESS FOUR FLIGHTS THURSDAY MORNING ALL AGAINST
TWENTY ONE MILE WIND STARTED FROM LEVEL WITH ENGINE

Old August 27th 03, 10:22 PM
HollyLewis

I will be having a C-section, and was wondering what the average length of
stay in the hospital was. My insurance company told me that we have an
"automatic" 4 day stay allowable for a c-sec. Do we really stay in that
long? I had a friend who stayed in for a week, but she got an infection.

If you are in the US, your insurance company is required to pay for 72 hours
following the birth, minimum. I think a typical stay is about 3 days total, of
which some hours are before the actual birth, but since you know you're having
a section I guess you can minimize that.

I was admitted in the early afternoon on a Monday. Doctors determined that a
section was necessary at around 9 pm and baby born at 10:15 pm. We went home
Thursday afternoon. They told me I could stay another night if I wanted to,
but by that time I was feeling well enough to want to go home.

I had a lot of help at home, though. If your DH has to go back to work quickly
or your visiting relatives are going to behave like guests rather than be
unpaid service providers, you might want to stay in the hospital as long as you
can possibly manage. :-) OTOH, if you can't get a private room in your
hospital or the nurses keep waking you up to take your temperature and pushing
formula on you, you might want to get yourself out of there as fast as you can
possibly manage.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2.5 yrs

Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM
DRUGS-INDUCED/DRUGS CAN WORSEN RLS/PLMD: CAUTION! RLS/PLMD patients taking a medication prescribed by their qualified healthcare provider in this Section should not abruptly stop it. They should consult their qualified healthcare provider first. [email protected] Pregnancy 0 July 16th 03 05:58 AM