Seeking straight A's, parents push for pills

Old September 10th 06, 10:41 AM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
Linda Gore

Default Seeking straight A's, parents push for pills

"nimue" wrote in message

Have you heard of a little thing called NCLB that rules our lives?

NCLB has forced teachers to do their own god damn dirty work.

In order to meet the numbers teachers are ...

Fabricating tales about pupils to get them removed from their classrooms
and placed in SPED.
Framing pupils for crimes they didn't commit to have students removed from
the classroom and incarcerated in juvenile detention facilities.
Bullying pupils into dropping out and/or committing suicide.

etc!

Old September 10th 06, 11:41 AM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
Lesa

"toto" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 20:31:57 GMT, "toypup"
wrote:

Who cares? What matters is what they learn, and
even more important, what they understand.

I have to agree here. I did not always show up to class in college. As
long as I understood the material, I was fine studying at home. If I was
having difficulty, then I would attend class to help clarify the material.

I would like to see high schools allowing this, but because they are
set up to be *in loco parentis,* they really cannot do so. By the
teenage years, we should be giving students more and more freedom
to actually learn with or without being *in* the classroom. Most high
school kids will not learn without being in class, but we really can't
compel them to learn even if they are in their seats.

What is needed is an intrinsic motivation toward learning.

--
Dorothy

As you are well aware, the school is not set up for learning. It is set up
for getting good grades. It is set up for spitting back the correct
information at the correct time, most often in a very simplistic format.
Part of this is the system which does not give teachers time or flexibility
to encourage students to learn and think for themselves, as well as teachers
and school based on students' test scores. Part of this is the teacher, who
is only human and doesn't have enough time in the day to spend with each and
every student to determine what they have learned, or to score tests that
are composed of open-ended questions which require thought and logical
reasoning. As long as the current system is in place, the motivation to
learn purely for the joy of acquiring knowledge will be uncommon.

Old September 10th 06, 11:45 AM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
Lesa

"nimue" wrote in message
Herman Rubin wrote:
In article ,
nimue wrote:
Raving Beauty wrote:
nimue wrote:
toto wrote:
I am a
teacher and I can tell you that kids who get As usually do so
because they love learning.

Bull****.

Getting straight A's necessitates one PLAY THE GAME

What game? Doing all your homework?

Why? The only legitimate purpose for homework is to
help learn the material. If it is not needed for
that, it should not be assigned.

That's why it is assigned. It's called "spiraling" nowadays. Homework
can
also be fun, believe it or not.

Yes, homework can be fun when it truly aids the student in learning and
expands their knowledge. When homework becomes repetitive "busy work" that
must be completed simply because it was assigned even though the student
fully understands the assignment it is no longer fun. Likewise, when a
student has several hours of homework on a daily basis, after spending 7-8
hours in school already, homework is no longer fun.

Old September 10th 06, 01:59 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
Linda Gore

"nimue" wrote in message
Raving wrote:
nimue wrote:
Oh, is English not your first language? ...

My Bretagne born and educated French teacher claimed that I possessed
a unique accent. Thus may help explain some things.

... In the US, we would just say "grade," not "Grade Score." Your
use of capitals makes me wonder if you are German. Are you?

No. eyf've ADHD and I'm a Canadian Cockney, I am.

That may be what RB said, but it still bears no relation to what you
said.

Huh? Would you like to discuss RB's POV, further?

No.

=== Ping: Raving Beauty ===

Enjoy the dialogue. Raving bows out ...

Thus far, my calling Nimue on his/her bull**** has resulted in

Nimue diagnosing me with a fictitious mental illness

A second poster prescribing a lobotomy..

A third poster denying/devaluing my academic achievement and IQ.

All of which PROVED my point---much better then I could have.

Old September 10th 06, 03:51 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
Dave L. Renfro

Linda Gore wrote:

A third poster denying/devaluing my academic achievement
and IQ.

Must not have been me. I wrote "... your posts do not provide
very much support for the statements you made above", which is
a night and day difference from what you're saying. I said your
*posts* don't give much support for your claims -- nothing at
all concerning your true academic achievement and IQ (other
than I also made the obvious remark that making anonymous
"vague and non-specific claims" in a usenet post carries
no weight).

By the way, it's ROFLMAO, not ROFLMOA (http://tinyurl.com/e4ute).

Dave L. Renfro

Old September 10th 06, 05:04 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
Linda Gore

"Dave L. Renfro" wrote in message
ups.com...
Linda Gore wrote:

A third poster denying/devaluing my academic achievement
and IQ.

Must not have been me. I wrote "... your posts do not provide
very much support for the statements you made above", which is
a night and day difference from what you're saying. I said your
*posts* don't give much support for your claims -- nothing at
all concerning your true academic achievement and IQ (other
than I also made the obvious remark that making anonymous
"vague and non-specific claims" in a usenet post carries
no weight).

Go to hell.

Old September 10th 06, 05:38 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
nimue

R. Steve Walz wrote:
snip
--------------------------------
The hatred of teachers for what they have perpetrated

Wow. Look at that rage.

cannot be
minimized or argued out of existence by the pretense that lots of
people just don't want to learn because it's HAAAARD! Teachers are
hated for good reasons.

Again. Man, you are frothing-at-the-mouth furious with teachers.

If you say can't think of any you're just
pretending.

You hate teachers. I don't. I have had wonderful teachers and terrible
teachers, just as I have had wonderful neighbors and terrible neighbors,
doctors, accountants, waiters, etc. That's how it is. However, since you
are convinced that all teachers are terrible, beyond terrible, really, there
is no point in arguing with you. You won't listen to reason.

Steve

--
nimue

"As an unwavering Republican, I have quite naturally burned more books
than I have read." Betty Bowers

English is our friend. We don't have to fight it.
Oprah

Old September 10th 06, 06:37 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
Linda Gore

"nimue" wrote in message
R. Steve Walz wrote:
snip
--------------------------------
The hatred of teachers for what they have perpetrated

Wow. Look at that rage.

cannot be
minimized or argued out of existence by the pretense that lots of
people just don't want to learn because it's HAAAARD! Teachers are
hated for good reasons.

Again. Man, you are frothing-at-the-mouth furious with teachers.

You say that AS IF hatred isn't a feeling that hate-ridden teachers pass
onto their students.

Old September 10th 06, 08:27 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
Bob LeChevalier

"Linda Gore" wrote:
"Bob LeChevalier" wrote in message
.. .

Admittedly, not everyone can manage this, but we should be creating
more opportunities for people to follow their true dreams, imo.

While I have some sympathy, the public schools are set up to train
kids the way the public wants them to be trained.

so why pretend you are teachers,

I don't pretend I am a teacher, and never have. I am a parent, and I
don't need to pretend that.

when any teaching that takes place is incidental to the real objective: breaking children.

If by "breaking children", you mean "civilizing children", then that
is one objective. (It is also the objective of most parents, but
there are apparently some exceptions.)

There are many objectives for the public schools, some of which are
conflicting. That's life. They who pay the piper call the many
tunes. You are free to pay for your own alternative.

lojbab
Old September 11th 06, 01:36 AM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
Herman Rubin

In article ,
Bob LeChevalier wrote:
(Herman Rubin) wrote:
That is what we have to do; separate school from state,

Easy to do. Just send your kid to private school (with private and
not state money).

Fine. Let the state not tax for bad schools which
indoctrinate more than they educate.

Phone: (765)494-6054 FAX: (765)494-0558