for women

Old October 5th 03, 04:51 PM
MISS PHD

Default for women

Subject: Fw: important message for women

THIS IS A MUST TO READ TO THE END P L E A S E!

An Eye Opener on Ovarian Cancer

I hope you all take the time to read this and pass it on to
all you can. Send this to the women in your life that you
care about.

Years ago, Gilda died of ovarian cancer. Her
symptoms were inconclusive, and she was treated for
everything under the sun until it was too late. This blood
test finally identified her illness but alas, too late. She
wrote a book to heighten awareness. Gene Wilder is her
widower.

KATHY'S STORY: this is the story of Kathy

As all of you know, I have Primary Peritoneal Cancer.
This cancer has only recently been identified as its OWN
type of cancer, but it is essentially Ovarian Cancer.

Both types of cancer are diagnosed in the same way, with
the "tumor marker" CA-125 BLOOD TEST, and they are
treated in the same way - surgery to remove the primary
tumor and then chemotherapy with Taxol and Carboplatin.

Having gone through this ordeal, I want to save others
from the same fate. That is why I am sending this message
to you and hope you will print it and give it or send it via
E-mail to everybody you know.

One thing I have learned is that each of us must take TOTAL
responsibility for our own health care. I thought I had done
that because I always had an annual physical and PAP smear,
did a monthly Self-Breast Exam, went to the dentist at least
twice a year, etc. I even insisted on a sigmoidoscopy and
a bone density test last year. When I had a total hysterectomy
in 1993, I thought that I did not have to worry about getting
any of the female reproductive organ cancers.

LITTLE DID I KNOW. I don't have ovaries (and they were
HEALTHY when they were removed), but I have what is
essentially ovarian cancer. Strange, isn't it?

These are just SOME of the things our Doctors never tell
us: ONE out of every 55 women will get OVARIAN or
PRIMARY PERITONEAL CANCER.

The "CLASSIC" symptoms are an ABDOMEN that rather
SUDDENLY ENLARGES and CONSTIPATION and/or DIARRHEA.

I had these classic symptoms and went to the doctor.
Because these symptoms seemed to be "abdominal", I went
to a gastroenterologist. He ran tests that were designed to
determine whether there was a bacteria infection; these tests
were negative, and I was diagnosed with "Irritable Bowel
Syndrome". I guess I would have accepted this diagnosis had
it not been for my enlarged abdomen. I swear to you, it looked
like I was 4-5 months pregnant! I therefore insisted on more
tests.

They took an X-ray of my abdomen; it was negative. I was again
assured that I had Irritable Bowel Syndrome and was encouraged
to go on my scheduled month-long trip to Europe. I couldn't wear
any of my slacks or shorts because I couldn't get them buttoned,
and I KNEW something was radically wrong. I INSISTED on more
tests, and they reluctantly) scheduled me for a CT-Scan (just to
shut me up, I think). This is what I mean by "taking charge of
our own health care."

The CT-Scan showed a lot of fluid in my abdomen (NOT normal).
Needless to say, I had to cancel my trip and have FIVE POUNDS
assure you), but NOTHING compared to what was ahead of me).
Tests revealed cancer cells in the fluid. Finally, finally,
finally, the doctor ran a CA-125 blood test, and I was
properly diagnosed.

I HAD THE CLASSIC SYMPTOMS FOR OVARIAN CANCER, AND
YET THIS SIMPLE CA-125 BLOOD TEST HAD NEVER BEEN RUN
ON ME, not as part of my annual physical exam and not when I
was symptomatic. This Is an inexpensive and simple blood test!

PLEASE, PLEASE TELL ALL YOUR FEMALE FRIENDS AND
RELATIVES TO INSIST ON A CA-125 BLOOD TEST EVERY YEAR
AS PART OF THEIR ANNUAL PHYSICAL EXAMS.

Be forewarned that their doctors might try to talk them out
of it, saying, IT ISN'T NECESSARY." Believe me, had
I known then what I know now, we would have caught
my cancer much earlier (before it was a stage 3 cancer).
Insist on the CA-125 BLOOD TEST; DO NOT take "NO" for an answer!

The normal range for a CA-125 BLOOD TEST is between zero
and 35. MINE WAS 754. (That's right, 754!). If the number is
slightly above 35, you can have another done in three or six
months and keep a close eye on it, just as women do when they
have fibroid tumors or when men have a slightly elevated PSA
test (Prostatic Specific Antigens) that helps diagnose prostate
cancer.

Having the CA-125 test done annually can alert you early, and
that's the goal in diagnosing any type of cancer - catching it
early.

Do you know 55 women? If so, at least one of them will have this
VERY AGGRESIVE cancer. Please, go to your doctor and insist
on a CA-125 test and have one EVERY YEAR for the rest of your
life.

And forward this message to every woman you know, and tell all
of your female family members and friends. Though the median
age for this cancer is 56, (and, guess what, I'm exactly 56),
women
as young as 22 have it. Age is no factor.

A NOTE FROM THE RN:

Well, after reading this, I made some calls. I found that the
CA-125 test is an ovarian screening test equivalent to a man's
PSA test prostate screen (which my husband's doctor
automatically gives him in his physical each year and
insurance pays for it). I called the general practitioner's
office about having the test done. The nurse had never heard
of it. She told me that she doubted that insurance would pay
for it. So I called Prudential Insurance Co.,
and got the same response. Never heard of it - it won't be
covered.

I explained that it was the same as the PSA test they had paid
for my husband for years. After conferring with whomever
they confer with, she told me that the CA-125 would be covered.

It is $75 in a GP's office and $125 at the GYN's. This is a
screening test that should be required just like a PAP smear
(a PAP smear cannot detect problems with your ovaries).
And you must insist that your insurance company pay for it.

Gene and Pierce Brosnan (his wife had it, too) are
lobbying for women's health issues, saying that this test
should be required in our physicals, just like the PAP and
the mammogram.

PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO SEND THIS OUT TO ALL THOSE
YOU CAN. BE IT MALE OR FEMALE, IT SHOULD NOT MATTER,
AS THEY CAN FORWARD IT ALSO TO THOSE LOVED ONES THEY
KNOW.

IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH FORWARDING SOMETHING AS
IMPORTANT AS THIS, HERE'S A LITTLE HINT THAT MAY ASSIST
YOU WITH YOUR DECISION ~ JUST PRETEND THAT THIS IS A
JOKE, WHICH IT CERTAINLY IS NOT, AND SEND IT OUT TO ALL
THE FOLKS YOU WOULD IF IT WAS. THANKS.
Old October 7th 03, 11:48 AM
kc

"MISS PHD" wrote in message
m...

this is an urban legend.

you can find more info he http://www.snopes.com/toxins/ca125.htm

don't believe everything you read on the internet...

-kelly