I'm giving up...

Old June 27th 07, 07:26 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

Default I'm giving up...

But only for tonight

I picked up a small manual breast pump earlier today and thought I'd give it
a shot. It was a decent price, and I can return it with exceptions within
90 days...

I sat here pumping just now for what seems like forever. It was probably a
good half an hour. Between both sides, alternating, I managed to get almost
1oz!!! What work that was, but a small price to pay. I'm going to call it
a night now and be very satisfied with what I did get - with DD2, I just
can't seem to pump worth a darn right from the start. She still won't take
a bottle anyways, but I'm hoping I can give her some in a cup and maybe try
and trick her if need be with the vanilla trick I found kind of works. She
doesn't like the idea of that, but if ALL else fails or something
unavoidable comes up, the vanilla trick will do the job (although not for
long and definitely NOT without her putting up a huge fight)

So, yay me! I'm so happy with even this almost 1oz of EBM!
Right to the fridge it's going! If I forget to put it in the fridge and it
goes bad, I think I will probably cry. I'm all smiles right now.

Old June 27th 07, 03:17 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chris

On Jun 27, 2:26?am, "xkatx" wrote:
[...]

Aww, that is hard work. I tried a manual breast pump with my second
baby and I didn't get barely a drip. I was able to get an electric
Medela Pump In Style covered by insurance with my third since I had to
immediately work long hours right after the birth of the baby and I
pumped like a champ, having to switch containers afer filling even.
lol. I know that some people say results of pumping changed from child
to child, but they also used the same style pump, and I hadn't, so
just in case it would benefit you to maybe rent a hospital-grade pump
for a couple of weeks to see if that did the trick for you, you could
and then buy the type of pump that may work better for you. Some
people don't get much of anything no matter what type of pump they
use.

Old June 27th 07, 06:37 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

"Chris" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 27, 2:26?am, "xkatx" wrote:
[...]

About the hospital grade pump... BTDT...
I rented (for waaay too much money, IMO) the Medela Symphony (I believe it
is) It's the hospital grade pump and is only available to rent.
A few friends were just so raving about the pump - I had tried it out once
before with DD1, but gave it up when it wasn't working so great for me. I
tried again more recently with DD2 - back in about Jan or so. Yea, right.
I couldn't pump worth a darn. I tried the different settings, suctions,
speeds, you name it. I could pump a few drops before it got to be a bit
painful. About 5 mins max I could handle before the pain was too much. A
good 15-20 min session with the pump would give me less than 1oz (between
both sides) and leave me with cracked, sore, purple (bruised) and bleeding
nipples. NOT fun.
I also had a lousy Gerber (which I've heard makes the worst pumps?) with DS.
I hardly used it. It was a simple manual pump. I was able to express
enough manually with my hands to feed a nation of babies, so I didn't really
use the pump much at all or need to use it. With DD2, I also borrowed an
Avent (I believe it's called?) electric pump and same deal, almost, but to a
lesser extent as the Medela rental. I found I could get a little more with
this Avent brand pump I borrowed from the health centre than I could with
the Medela hospital grade pump.
This First Years manual pump, though, has yet to hurt me and I did spend
some time with it yesterday. I did manage to only get that 1ish oz, but
that's not too bad. It seems to be a little more than what I was able to
get before (but then again, DD2 would be nursing a lot more by now and
supply should be more than what it was) but the difference is that it
doesn't seem to hurt me.
I was looking at the Pump in Style ones. I've heard those are one of the
best, from what others have said, but then again, these are the same people
that swear by the Symphony (hospital grade) pump, which I found was just
horribly painful to use.
Maybe I will see how this First Years one goes. If need be, I might
consider looking to find a PiS, as the electric might just be a nice luxury
to have, but if it's the same deal as other pumps, I don't care to put that
money up to just waste. Maybe I'm just one of those people that seem to
vary between babies with pumps
I'm still happy about that 1oz or so that I got last night. I had to show N
this morning and he looked at me like I was crazy LOL

Old June 28th 07, 03:53 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Leslie

Have you ever tried the Isis? I'm a terrible pumper--couldn't get
anything out even with a double electric hospital grade pump--but I
used to get 4 oz. with the Isis.

Leslie

Old June 28th 07, 06:57 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

"Leslie" wrote in message
ups.com...
Have you ever tried the Isis? I'm a terrible pumper--couldn't get
anything out even with a double electric hospital grade pump--but I
used to get 4 oz. with the Isis.

Leslie

No, I don't think I have.
I did google the name to see what it looks like (I've tried a few of them,
and it's hard to keep track of which one is which)
I found that it wasn't an Avent pump I had borrowed from the health centre,
but it was called the "Ameda Purely Yours"
I think I got Avent from the Isis pump that I do recall seeing it. I
haven't tried it.
It's just one more I could give it a shot with, that is, if I can maybe see
if there's someone I know who has this one that I could borrow just to try.
I had issues with the hospital grade one as well, Isis might be worth a shot
(and with this First Years one I have now, I get very little, yet it's not
painful, so that's the bonus)

Old June 28th 07, 08:17 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
NL

"Leslie" wrote in message
ups.com...
Have you ever tried the Isis? I'm a terrible pumper--couldn't get
anything out even with a double electric hospital grade pump--but I
used to get 4 oz. with the Isis.

I second the Isis. I kept mine from when Sam was a baby. I was never a
great pumping mom (never really needed it either), but when we went and
got my stuff from my old apartment I couldn't take Sam and I wanted to
pump at least some milk for him. I got an electric pump from the
pharmacy I think it was a medela, but it's been 6 years, so who knows.
I got nothing. I mean, I got a drop per side but that didn't even make
it into the bottle! It didn't help that the thing sounded like a scooter
and smelled of oil a bit... I tried it in the evening and thought it was
just because I was probably fairy empty, but the next morning, before
feeding Sam I didn't get anything either.
We had bought formula, just in case (14DM for a small packet, I've never
been so glad I could provide milk myself *lol*) and my mother tried
that, but he wouldn't have anything to do with it. Not from a bottle,
not from a spoon not from a cup. (Which was cool because that finally
made my mom stop pushing me to wean him)
When we had got my stuff I also got my pump and I pumped on the way home
and got a small bottle from both sides, still not loads, but better than
nothing.

The reason I prefer the manual is that I can pump the way baby sucks
without fiddling with settings. I used to try and imitate the first
quick sucks and then when I started to feel letdown I would slow down a
bit and every time I stopped "squirting" by myself I'd do the quick suck
thing again to get another letdown.
I think all that's also possible with an electric, but I think you need
to practice more on the electric and fiddle with the settings. While
that's probably ok for when you're going to have to pump a lot because
of going back to work I don't think it's practical if you're just going
to pump occasionally.

cu
nicole
Old June 28th 07, 03:28 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chris

On Jun 28, 1:57?am, "xkatx" wrote:
"Leslie" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

What state are you in? I'm in Michigan. I have my Medela PIS. I keep
thinking I need to offer it up to someone in need, but I'm having a
hard time accepting this last baby was my last baby. lol. DH wants a
vasectomy and I haven't made up my mind yet. lol. I can say that if
you were close enough, you could try mine out. I dunno, you think if I
did miracously manage to talk DH into another baby that my insurance
would give me another for free if I said "Heh, I thought THAT *was* my
last baby?" lol.

Old June 28th 07, 05:20 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sue

I'm not sure I knew you were in Michigan. I am too. Royal Oak area. )
--
Sue

"Chris" wrote in message
oups.com...

ups.com...

Old July 2nd 07, 06:11 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chris

On Jun 28, 12:20?pm, "Sue" wrote:
I'm not sure I knew you were in Michigan. I am too. Royal Oak area. )
--
Sue

"Chris" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jun 28, 1:57?am, "xkatx" wrote:
"Leslie" wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

last baby?" lol.- Hide quoted text -

Well hello! I'm in the Kalamazoo area.

Old July 2nd 07, 02:17 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sue

"Chris" wrote in message
Well hello! I'm in the Kalamazoo area.

Nice to "meet" you. )
--
Sue

Giving birth Mark & Ana Jones Pregnancy 119 February 14th 05 05:52 PM
Thanks for not giving up! Marvin L. Zinn Breastfeeding 5 December 18th 04 08:16 PM
Giving it a try! Leslie Kids Health 2 May 6th 04 09:28 PM
Need help with giving my son a bottle of EBM. Jennifer Breastfeeding 8 December 11th 03 10:05 PM
giving a bottle Stephanie and Tim Breastfeeding 1 November 10th 03 08:50 PM