Queen's doctor warns of homoeopathy crisis

Old September 2nd 07, 06:05 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med.nursing,talk.politics.medicine,uk.people.health
JOHN

Default Queen's doctor warns of homoeopathy crisis

http://news.independent.co.uk/health/article2919644.ece
(URL no longer works - imagine that!)

Queen's doctor warns of homoeopathy crisis
By Nina Lakhani

A leaked memo reveals that there is 'a co-ordinated campaign' to derail
alternative therapies on the NHS

Published: 02 September 2007

The Queen's personal physician and Britain's leading homoeopath
yesterday warned of a "co-ordinated campaign to derail complementary
therapies in the NHS".

A leaked memo seen by The Independent on Sunday identifies several
influential groups working together for the removal of homoeopathy from
the NHS.

According to Dr Peter Fisher, clinical director of the Royal London
Homoeopathic Hospital, there has been a 20 per cent reduction in
referrals to the hospital in the past year, as new patients are refused
funding by a growing number of primary care trusts.

The hospital - an NHS centre of excellence - could be forced drastically
to cut services if other PCTs introduce the same system and if funding
for patients currently undergoing treatment is withdrawn.

Dr Fisher, whose patients include the supermodel Claudia Schiffer,
pointed to the fact that some six million people in the UK use
complementary therapies each year. Advocates include David Beckham and
Catherine Zeta-Jones.

Dr Fisher said: "There are some patients with conditions that
prescription drugs alone do not help. There is a huge potential to help
these patients and those who experience adverse side-effects from
conventional medicines with complementary therapies."

The four NHS homoeopathic hospitals combine therapies to treat chronic
conditions, such as depression, irritable bowel syndrome and
osteoarthritis that conventional medicines alone can fail. But this
relatively new
integrated approach offends the beliefs and aims of certain groups.

"The campaign dates back two years starting with several eminent and
mostly retired scientists and doctors who have a way of seeing the world
and medicine which complementary therapies do not sit within," Dr Fisher
said. "The pharmaceutical industry is worried for its future, as public
opinion is shifting towards complementary therapies."

The memo, sent out by the president of the Association of the Directors
of Public Health, Dr Tim Crayford, referred only to homoeopathy, but all
complementary therapies are affected. Dr Crayford said: "The email...
was certainly not about all complementary therapies. This paper was
written to help PCTs focus on the delivery of essential services."

Zeus Information Service
Alternative Views on Health
www.zeusinfoservice.com

Old September 2nd 07, 06:27 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med.nursing,talk.politics.medicine,uk.people.health
Jeff

JOHN wrote:
http://news.independent.co.uk/health/article2919644.ece
(URL no longer works - imagine that!)

Queen's doctor warns of homoeopathy crisis
By Nina Lakhani

A leaked memo reveals that there is 'a co-ordinated campaign' to derail
alternative therapies on the NHS

Excellent news. As there should be. A better from alternative therapies
is "unproven therapies" or "conjecture-based therapies."

If you can prove it works, you should expect the public to pay for it.

Published: 02 September 2007

The Queen's personal physician and Britain's leading homoeopath
yesterday warned of a "co-ordinated campaign to derail complementary
therapies in the NHS".

A leaked memo seen by The Independent on Sunday identifies several
influential groups working together for the removal of homoeopathy from
the NHS.

According to Dr Peter Fisher, clinical director of the Royal London
Homoeopathic Hospital, there has been a 20 per cent reduction in
referrals to the hospital in the past year, as new patients are refused
funding by a growing number of primary care trusts.

Excellent. Keep up the good work primary care trusts.

The hospital - an NHS centre of excellence - could be forced drastically
to cut services if other PCTs introduce the same system and if funding
for patients currently undergoing treatment is withdrawn.

Dr Fisher, whose patients include the supermodel Claudia Schiffer,
pointed to the fact that some six million people in the UK use
complementary therapies each year. Advocates include David Beckham and
Catherine Zeta-Jones.

And there evidence that these therapies work is what?

Dr Fisher said: "There are some patients with conditions that
prescription drugs alone do not help. There is a huge potential to help
these patients and those who experience adverse side-effects from
conventional medicines with complementary therapies."

Evidence of this, please.

[...]

Actually, it appears the email is about using only evidence-based therapies.

As it should be.

Jeff
Old September 2nd 07, 06:27 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med.nursing,talk.politics.medicine,uk.people.health
Myrl

My personal belief is that Health Care is a "turf" war, going on
between traditional, conventional, alternative, and homeopathetic
fields.

Unfortunately, in this country the FDA is failing the American people,
by allowing far too much influence from "organized" medicine and
pharmaseudical giants.

But on the other hand, sadly, the alternative fields, are a riddled
mine field of no regulation, little scientific proof of their often
outrageous claims.

From a health consumer point of view, I would like to see the FDA do

the job it was set up to do, which is protect the public.

I would like to see the alternative field, come under the same
guidelines and regulation that the FDA mandates for most other
medicines. And, I'd like to see the alternative folks do more on
their own to ferret out the charlatans among them. Unfortunately,
they don't seem to demonstrate the fortitude to do that, so they all
hang together, and those that would be otherwise credible, become not
credible instead.

I will be the first to admit, there have been certain alterntive
fields, that I believe have significant merit. One of them is
chiropractic, which I personally used in my early 20s, with some
success. I have not used accupuncture, but have had close friends,
and family members, who have, and swear by it.

In an idylic medical environment, one would have the knowledge and the
information, for making the very wisest choices regarding their health
care, available at their disposal. But what we have today, isn't
anywhere near that kind of scenario.

Old September 2nd 07, 06:28 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med.nursing,talk.politics.medicine,uk.people.health
Myrl

On Sep 2, 10:27 am, Jeff wrote:

Actually, it appears the email is about using only evidence-based therapies.

As it should be.

Jeff-

ABSOLUTELY!

Old September 2nd 07, 06:40 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med.nursing,talk.politics.medicine,uk.people.health
Peter Parry

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 18:05:21 +0100, "JOHN" wrote:

http://news.independent.co.uk/health/article2919644.ece
(URL no longer works - imagine that!)

Works perfectly, there goes another conspiracy theory.

According to Dr Peter Fisher, clinical director of the Royal London
Homoeopathic Hospital, there has been a 20 per cent reduction in
referrals to the hospital in the past year, as new patients are refused
funding by a growing number of primary care trusts.

That's because homeopathy is ineffective.

Dr Fisher, whose patients include the supermodel Claudia Schiffer,
pointed to the fact that some six million people in the UK use
complementary therapies each year. Advocates include David Beckham and
Catherine Zeta-Jones.

Three advocates with the brain of an Avocado between them? Is that
the best you can come up with? How about some objective proof rather
than brainless "celebs"?

Dr Fisher said: "There are some patients with conditions that
prescription drugs alone do not help.

Indeed, and Homeopathy is a moderately useful form of psychotherapy,
but it doesn't cure any physical illness.

Dr Fisher
said. "The pharmaceutical industry is worried for its future, as public
opinion is shifting towards complementary therapies."

Wouldn't this be more correctly expressed as "The homeopathy industry
is worried for its future as more and more evidence shows it is
ineffective and based upon a fallacy"
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Old September 2nd 07, 07:51 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med.nursing,talk.politics.medicine,uk.people.health
Myrl

On Sep 2, 10:40 am, Peter Parry wrote:

Wouldn't this be more correctly expressed as "The homeopathy industry
is worried for its future as more and more evidence shows it is
ineffective and based upon a fallacy"
--
Peter Parry.

To a degree I can agree with that, Peter. My thinking is however,
that "evidence" emanating from universities, and colleges, which are
also in the business of creating the conventional medicine practioners
have a conflict of interest. They are also snagging significant
amounts of money for studies, to foist the drug agendas of
pharmaseudical companies. Therefore it's possibly unlikely, these
institutions will come up with reliable findings and evidence.

Who will be funding the studies, that will provide any evidence of
validity for the alternative fields? And WHO will provide us with
unbiased evidence???

My bet is, you would need to find a reliable scientific realm, outside
the United States, to come anywhere near that outcome. Perhaps, the
Netherlands, possibly India, maybe China.

Conventional medicine has a stranglehold on the scientific process in
the US. And the quacks among the alternative field are having a field
day, by simply throwing up "conspiracy" theories, rather than self-
police, or clean up their act.

It's all quite a nightmare for the health consummer. I am very
interested in knowing what alternative remedies will work, and to toss
out the probably 80% or so, which are worthless. So how do we set up
a process for that.

I know for certain, if I broke a bone, I would not go to an altie
practitioner to fix that. . .I'm going to run to the conventional doc
instead.

However, I am one of those women, who periodically has symptoms of
Restless Leg Syndrome. Do I really want to pop a pill, which provides
disclosure for such side effects as obsessions of gambling and sexual
activity? At my age - not necessarily;-)

But, one thing I found out, is with a little yoga exercise, or simply
laying on my back in the middle of the floor, drawing my knees up to
my chest with my arms, and rolling from side to side, and back and
forth, I can immediately relieve most tension in the small of my back,
and have the RLS symptoms all but disappear.

Granted, it's very fast, it's free, and it's without side-
effects. . .I can understand why ALL practioners, wouldn't want me to
do that! And most certainly, they wouldn't want me to tell anybody!

Myrl
http://www.webstarmagic.com/wisletter.htm

Old September 2nd 07, 08:02 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med.nursing,talk.politics.medicine,uk.people.health
The One True Zhen Jue

On Sep 2, 1:27 pm, Myrl wrote:
My personal belief is that Health Care is a "turf" war, going on
between traditional, conventional, alternative, and homeopathetic
fields.

Unfortunately, in this country the FDA is failing the American people,
by allowing far too much influence from "organized" medicine and
pharmaseudical giants.

But on the other hand, sadly, the alternative fields, are a riddled
mine field of no regulation, little scientific proof of their often
outrageous claims.

From a health consumer point of view, I would like to see the FDA do

the job it was set up to do, which is protect the public.

Notice how Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine are thriving
in the USA & UK.
The cream rises to the top!

Old September 2nd 07, 08:43 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med.nursing,talk.politics.medicine,uk.people.health
Myrl

On Sep 2, 12:02 pm, The One True Zhen Jue
wrote:

Notice how Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine are thriving
in the USA & UK.
The cream rises to the top!

That's an excellent analogy. Many health insurers, at least in the
US, do provide for acupuncture, and chiropractic in their coverage.

Old September 2nd 07, 09:39 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med.nursing,talk.politics.medicine,uk.people.health
JOHN

"Jeff" wrote in message

evidence-based therapies.

don't you just love that term

you sure have plenty of evidence your therapies kill people, 780,000 a year
at the last count

and it sure is curious the fact you wont use vitamin C, considering there
are 1,200 peer reviewed citations on its effectiveness for infections,
poisons and heart disease

"Modern Medicine would rather you die using its remedies than live by using
what physicians call quackery".--Dr Robert Mendelsohn, M.D.

Old September 2nd 07, 09:50 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med.nursing,talk.politics.medicine,uk.people.health
JOHN

"Peter Parry" wrote in message

Wouldn't this be more correctly expressed as "The homeopathy industry
is worried for its future as more and more evidence shows it is
ineffective and based upon a fallacy"
--

LOL. That's allopathy