Birth Story from the Dad's perspective

Old July 15th 04, 02:38 PM
Jody Pellerin

Default Birth Story from the Dad's perspective

Matt wrote the birth story, I haven't had the time to do one yet. It's
long. Keep in mind if you read it, it's his writing. Enjoy
"This is the birth story of Brittany Susan from the father's
perspective. The day is June 25th, and Jody and I are both asleep, or
so I thought. I was the only one sleeping, and that didn't last for
long as I was awoken by Jody calling my name. I looked at the clock
and it was 11:30, so I got up to see what she was calling me for. Upon
entering the bathroom she told me that her water had broke. I couldn't
help but think she picked the perfect room for that to happen in. I
later found out that it had actually broken in the bedroom, but still,
it was a funny thought at the time.

I called my mother's house but there was no answer, so we started to
get our stuff ready to go into the hospital with. The phone rang as we
were getting ready and Jody answered it. It was my mother calling us
back; she had just finished having breakfast. We decided that we'd get
the rest of our stuff ready and then pick her up on the way to the
hospital. My mom is a nurse there and she had actually just finished
working an all-night shift that morning. We finished getting the car
seat, diaper bag, overnight bag ready and then we set off to pick up
my mother.

Well, we actually first stopped at Tim Horton's which is where Jody's
first painful contraction started at around 12:30. She used to work
there and she told me that she was praying nobody noticed her because
she really did not want to have to speak while she was in so much
pain. From Tim's we proceeded to pick up my mom. When we got to her
house my sister was there and wanted to come as well so she could be
there (in the waiting room) when Brittany was born. Now, most people I
hear get around 20 minutes in-between contractions when they first
start. Poor Jody did not even get a 5 minute break. From the very
beginning she was getting contractions every 3-4 minutes and they kept
getting more and more painful as we made our way into the hospital,
which seemed to be taking forever to get to.

It did not help that the main road into the hospital was closed
because, for lack of a better explanation, they were in the middle of
blowing it up. They were also doing construction on the detour road as
well, and we had to wait a good 5-10 minutes while some girl with a
stop sign stood there and had a smoke. I could tell Jody wanted to
beat the crap out of her, and I must tell you I was ready to do the
same, anything to get us moving and closer to the hospital. We finally
did get started up again and on our way. From there my mother let us
park in the staff parking because it was closer to the doors. Jody got
out and we started walking down the steps but we had to pause a few
times while she was in the middle of a contraction because it was too
painful. Once we got inside and went up to labor and delivery we found
out that it was a VERY busy day. It seems everyone else's baby decided
to come out today too.

We did not even get into a birthing room right away; we were put in an
assessment room to wait until somebody else was done having their
baby. During this time Jody was in a LOT of pain and wanted to get the
Epidural. The nurse checked Jody and found out that she was about 3CM
dilated at this point. The nurse gave her a shot of Demerol to try and
take the edge off the pain. That however only succeeded in making her
drowsy and less able to handle the pain. Every time Jody cried out in
pain it felt like I was going through the same pain, because I hate
seeing her like that. After it was apparent that the Demerol was doing
nothing the nurse started preparing to put in the IV. She attempted to
put it just above the wrist because she found that it was less painful
at that spot. She couldn't get it in a vein though, so she had to end
up finally putting it in a vein in her hand. Jody actually preferred
it in the hand anyway and didn't find it very uncomfortable at all.

Finally a birthing room became available, so we got all of our stuff
together and we were moved there. I lagged behind a little bit because
I had to carry EVERYTHING we had brought in with us and I actually
lost track of where they went for a minute after I had to stop and
pick up her shoes which I repeatedly dropped on the way to the new
room. Once we were in the new room Jody was able to finally get her
Epidural, and the anesthesiologist came up very quickly. It did
however take him 30 minutes and 3 tries to get it in correctly. Jody
did not seem to care though; she just wanted to get it over with.

Once the Epidural was in I excused myself from the room because I had
to go downstairs and call work (I was not going to be going in
today!). That went smoothly; all I got were "congratulations!" when I
called in. I had told my mom, who was in the waiting room, to go in
with her while I went downstairs. When I came back up however, I found
her still in the waiting room and she told me they wouldn't let her in
because they were still trying to do the epidural.

After a little bit of waiting with her, I decided to go in and
investigate. When I went in I saw Jody lying back down and she seemed
to be handling things MUCH better with the epidural. It was now fully
in effect and she was feeling almost no pain at all. She would just be
like "I think I'm having a contraction" and then look over and confirm
it on the monitor she was hooked up to. I now went back out to fetch
my mom and we both came back into the room. They did a check on Jody
and she was now at 6 CM! She had gone from 3 to 6cm in only 1.5 hours.
We waited another 1.5 hours or so and talked for a bit. Then when she
checked her again she was at 9.5CM. The doctor decided to give it one
more hour to fully dilate and then it was time to start the pushing.

Jody did not seem interested in pushing though as she was tired and
very content just lying there while basking in the drugs from the
epidural. The nurse did convince her to push though and so it begun.
She started off on her back pushing, but after about 10 minutes the
nurse got her to go up on her side. After she got up on her side
everything went very quickly from there. Another 15 minutes of pushing
and you could see the head start to come out! This caught the doctor
totally off guard as he was not even dressed yet. He told Jody to hold
off on the pushing for a few minutes while he got his gear on. Now,
Jody did not really want to stop now that they had made her start. The
doctor said ok and just to warn him before she was going to push. The
doctor finally got his stuff on (will edit later) and we were ready to
go again. It only took about 5 more minutes… One the very next push
her head was all the way out and then it only took Jody one more push
and she was completely out! Brittany was born at 8:41 pm on only 30
minutes of actual pushing.

We found out immediately after she was born that she was a girl. She
had not cooperated at the ultrasound so we were left wondering till
the very end (Not by choice, we wanted to buy clothes!). We both
thought I'd be a girl but we didn't want to waste all our money if we
were wrong. Immediately after she was born I cut the cord. It was not
what I had expected; it was like cutting through a very thick elastic
band. It took me a few attempts to get it completely cut but I finally
got through it. After I cut the cord I started going picture happy. I
think my favorite picture is the one I got while she was being weighed
on the scale. You can perfectly see she was 7 pounds and 2 ounces.
What a perfect weight! Not too small and not too big.

She was put on Jody's stomach right after she was born and it looked
like Jody had no idea what to do with it. She looked kind of shocked
she came out so soon. After they cleaned her up a bit she was given to
me so I could hold her. I've always been scared holding newborns
because I always thought they were so fragile. They are fragile, but
it's tough than I thought to "break" them. After a day or two I lost
my fear of holding her. After I got done holding her I gave her to her
Grandma to hold, while I snapped a couple pictures (me still being
picture happy). Then I went out and snuck my sister in so she could
see her. Shortly after that my dad had just gotten off of work she he
headed over to the hospital. He had not even known she had been born
yet, but it didn't take him long to figure it out once he got there. I
got even more pictures of Grandpa hold her and he took a few pictures
of her with his digital camera so he could bring them into work the
next day to show his coworkers.

That ends the tale of Brittany's birth from the fathers perspective.
Expect Mama to have hers done eventually so you can hear her side of
the story!"

Old July 15th 04, 06:02 PM
Jill

"Jody Pellerin" wrote in message
om...
Matt wrote the birth story,

That's sweet! Save that, and then write yours, and keep them for Brittany
one day.

I wish my husband would write words on a card besides just signing his name,
I would be ecstatic if he wrote a birth story! So, that's awesome.

Jill

Old July 15th 04, 07:37 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Matt wrote:

Well, we actually first stopped at Tim Horton's which is where Jody's

I'm sorry, but this is just too funny. ;-) Somehow, it just seems so
very Canadian.

Thank you so much for sharing this birth story from the father's point
of view, Jody. It was nice to read!
Old July 15th 04, 09:42 PM
Em

"Jody Pellerin" wrote in message

Matt wrote the birth story, I haven't had the time to do one yet. It's
long. Keep in mind if you read it, it's his writing. Enjoy

snip
That ends the tale of Brittany's birth from the fathers perspective.
Expect Mama to have hers done eventually so you can hear her side of
the story!"

That's great, Jody! I really enjoyed reading his account of the birth. I
wish my DH would have written a birth story too. I can't complain too
much though, because he did write a short paragraph about the birth and
how proud of me he was in DS's baby book and also a short paragraph
about his first reactions as a father to DS. He isn't very confident
about writing and so I should be glad that he did that much!

My best friend, my doula, & my mom did all write birth stories for me
though and I *love* having and reading the different accounts of the
birth--they are very special to me.

Looking forward to reading your account when you have the time to write
it. Congratulations on Brittany's birth!

--
Em
mama to L-baby, 9.5 months old

Old July 15th 04, 09:43 PM
fading away

(Jody Pellerin) wrote in message . com...
[...]

That's a really sweet story. I think I'm going to make my husband
write a birth story. Thanks for posting it. How are you feeling,
Jody? Congrats!

-- Mav