need encourgement/advice

Old March 18th 04, 03:17 PM
Nikki

Default need encourgement/advice

Lmv wrote:

I would imagine if I sit and pump for 20 minutes every
hour in the evening I can surly increase my supply.

The tricky part is increasing your pump output. Pump out put and supply can
be seperate animals. FWIW I always had better luck pumping early in the
morning so you could possible try pumping in the morning before you nurse
(my baby was still able to get enough when nursing). When I did that I
started with only a few ounces and in a couple weeks I was pumping at least
6 ounces from each breast. That was not the same baby that I had to
supplement though. My body reacted differently with baby #2. On the flip
side I pretty much had to pump each morning then or I'd get engorged. I've
also heard that pump output increases if you can pump one side while the
baby nurses the other. There is a pumping moms list that I see recommended
alot. I don't know the link but if you start another thread titled 'Pumping
moms list?' I bet you'll get an answer. Good luck and I hope things work
out for you!!

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old March 18th 04, 03:26 PM
PattyMomVA

"Lmv" wrote in message
news:VYg6c.41954$506.14043@fed1read05... and I snipped:

Im going to pump like
crazy these next few days and see if I can make up my difference. I would
imagine if I sit and pump for 20 minutes every hour in the evening I can
surly increase my supply.

I've heard often on this newsgroup that it's usually more productive to pump
in the morning than in the evening. Is there any way you can add one
pumping session into your morning routine? If you do it every morning of
the week (including weekends), your supply should increase at that time, and
you might be in a position to supplement less.

Also, I might consider asking your mother (she's the caregiver when you're
at work?) to give your DD perhaps one less ounce per bottle and see if she's
satisfied with less. If she isn't, she might be content during the day but
wake up at night to nurse. If you don't have a problem with this, it will
make your EBM go farther.

HTH,
-Patty, mom to Corinne (6y) and Nathan (3.5y)
and stepmom to Victoria (13.5y)

Old March 18th 04, 03:30 PM
Mary W.

Lmv wrote:

Im hoping some one here can help me. My baby is 13 weeks old and has only
been breastfeed. I work full time, I can not scale back my hours and I can
not get to my baby at all during the day to nurse. She is now drinking 22OZ
of EBM per day and there is no way I can pump that much. I have taken every
know herb and oatmeal and drank water until im sick the very most I can get
pumped at work is about 9oz this is pumping 3 times a day using a PIS and or
a Lactina. I pump again when I get home and again before bed and again in
the morning. I just cant keep up. I tired putting her on rice cereal
hoping that she would take one less feeding while I am at work. It has not
worked. I was so proud of myself for only breastfeeding and im so sad that
im going to have to give her a bottle or two of formula a day. Does anyone
have any other suggestions for me. Would it be really bad to water down the
EBM and wake her up at night (she sleeps all night) a few times to make up
for the "lost feeding" At this point I will try anything and if I do have
to give her formula should I mix it with EBM to get her use to help. I feel
so discouraged right now......

I just wanted to say what a great job you are doing. You could try taking
Domperidone(?) (OK, someone help me out here with where to get it and
how much etc.) which some people have used with great success to increase
supply.

You could try waking her more at night- if she nursed more at night she'd
probably take less during the day. To be honest, since my daughter
nursed all night and took virtually nothing during the day, its a pain,
unless you can sleep through the nursing session.

Try not to get too upset if you have to supplement with formula - it's
really OK. Keep pumping to keep up your supply, and nurse your baby
whenever you can, but if you can't keep up, then go ahead and
supplement. When baby is ready for solids (~6 months! 13 weeks
is too early), she may start taking less BM/formula and you'll
be able to wean her off the formula. Just because you supplement
doesn't mean you have to stop nursing.

You shouldn't give your daughter a bottle of formula. Your care giver
can offer the formula (after the EBM is gone) and if baby is really hungry,
she'll drink it. Otherwise she'll wait for you. My daughter never took
more than 10 ounces a day and I went back to work when she was
12 weeks old (and yes, she nursed *all* night long, I would have gladly
had her take more during the day, to get a little more sleep!).

Good luck!

Mary

Old March 18th 04, 05:17 PM
Mary W.

Nikki wrote:

baby nurses the other. There is a pumping moms list that I see recommended
alot. I don't know the link but if you start another thread titled 'Pumping
moms list?'

For the pumpmoms list, got to:

And search for pumpmoms

I think you have to send an introductory email and get approved
before you can post/read.

Mary

Old March 18th 04, 07:15 PM
zeldabee

Mary W. was all, like:
Lmv wrote:

[...]At this point I will try anything and if I do have to give
her formula should I mix it with EBM to get her use to help. I feel
so discouraged right now......

I feel your pain...I had a similar situation. The only thing I can add to
what others have suggested is to maybe try to pump a few times on the
weekends. Also, nurse *as much as you can* at night and on weekends.

You might also ask your caregiver (did you say it was your mother?) to space
out her feedings, and give her a little less per feeding, if she'll tolerate
that. She *will* make up for it when she's with you.

I was in the same boat, or maybe I still am, as my freezer stash is slowly
dwindling...but every time I think I'm close to running out, he eats a
little less at daycare for a little while, and I don't run out. Now my son
(6 months)has started solids, and likes it, so I'm less worried. I know the
feeling, though, and as some people here told me, you can think of formula
as just another food.

I just wanted to say what a great job you are doing. You could try
taking Domperidone(?) (OK, someone help me out here with where to get
it and
how much etc.) which some people have used with great success to
increase supply.

http://www.globaldrug.tv/category.asp?CtgID=1003

I bought it 600 tablets at a time for $70, and I *think* it was $10.00
shipping. It did work for me.

You could try waking her more at night- if she nursed more at night
she'd probably take less during the day. To be honest, since my
daughter
nursed all night and took virtually nothing during the day, its a
pain, unless you can sleep through the nursing session.

This is what I did/do, but I'm used to it, and we go right back to sleep
after nursing. I'm glad I paid attention when people told me to learn to
nurse lying down--it took a couple of months before we got to be good at it,
just in time for me to go back to work. That, and co-sleeping, has saved my
sanity and allowed me to get just enough sleep to function.

In a strange way, I think I'd actually miss it if he stopped his night
nursing. I'm away from him for 10 hours/day, and I enjoy the closeness with
him at night.

Old March 19th 04, 01:14 AM
Lmv

Thank you everyone. I just ordered some Domperidone from global drug.
HJopefully it helps.

Lori
"zeldabee" wrote in message
Mary W. was all, like: