OT Developmental Questions

Old April 7th 04, 05:19 PM
Kathy

Default OT Developmental Questions

Thank you everyone for your responses. It helps to hear that there is a
wide range of "normal" and that your children hit the milestones I'm
talking about at all different ages.

I showed this to DH and we agree that we aren't worried about DD...she
is doing fine.

Thanks again,
Kathy

Old April 8th 04, 04:53 AM
Plissken

"Kathy" wrote in message

| I realize that babies develop at their own pace, but I have a few areas
| of (minor) concern with my daughter and I was hoping for some input from
| others.
|
| DD will be 7 months old in 10 days...
|
| She can not sit up on her own, and when I do sit her up she is quite
| wobbly. Sometimes she can stay up for a few seconds if I balance her
| just so. When were you're children able to sit on their own?

5.5 months

| She can roll from front to back (sometimes she will do it 2-3 times in a
| row)...but most of the time she just gets aggrivated and cries. She
| can't go from back to front at all. When were your children able to
| roll both ways (if ever)?

about 8 months

| She makes growling, cooing, coughing and screeching noises among
| others...but no repetition of one syllable worlds like mamamamamama or
| dadadadadada. When were your children able to do this?

around 7 or 8 months

| It seems like she has been teething for months, but no teeth showing
| yet. When did your children get their first teeth?

6 months but I know LOTS of kids getting their first teeth at 8 and 9 months
old

Babies do things on their own time. Watch she'll be late starter but once
she gets going, watch out you won't know what hit you and you'll be wishing
she took a little longer!

Nadene

Old April 8th 04, 01:43 PM
zeldabee

Kathy was all, like:
I realize that babies develop at their own pace, but I have a few
areas of (minor) concern with my daughter and I was hoping for some
input from others.

DD will be 7 months old in 10 days...

She can not sit up on her own, and when I do sit her up she is quite
wobbly. Sometimes she can stay up for a few seconds if I balance her
just so. When were you're children able to sit on their own?

Sprogly is 7 months today...I don't have much to contribute *except* to say
that I wondered when Sprogly would sit on his own, because he seemed nowhere
near being able to, and then one day two weeks ago he just...did it.

He's working *very* hard at crawling--he's really motivated to get that
cat!--but so far all he can do is scootch backwards a little. He especially
likes to do his rolling-around and back-arching "exercises" during his naked
time, when I put him on the waterproof mat...which is now too small. It's
too cute when he waves his little bare bum up in the air.

I usually don't worry about what other's say
their children can do, but DH works with several women with young
grandchildren/neices, etc...and they're always comparing notes. Most of
them are able to sit, have first teeth, etc etc.

I know, I know. Bloke has a co-worker with a daughter almost exactly
Sprogly's age who was sitting unsupported a month and a half ago, and Bloke
was terribly concerned until Sprogly started sitting. Then again, she's 4
inches shorter and 5 lbs lighter than Sprogly, so there. ;o)

Old April 8th 04, 04:25 PM
Em

"Cheryl S." wrote in message
"Em" wrote in message
When were your children able to push up on their
arms while lying on their stomachs?

Jaden is doing this now. It's another one of those "sudden

development"
things. One day quite recently I just noticed he was pushing himself
all the way up to having his arms straight. L-baby will probably be
doing this any time now. This week, Jaden is getting very frustrated
when he wants to get a toy that's j-u-s-t out of reach in front of

him,
and accidentally pushes himself backward with his arms in an effort to
get himself closer to it!

It's funny that I just posted this, because last night Lann suddenly
pushed up on his arms while squirming away from getting his pajamas on.
It didn't last long and I think it was accidental, but now I feel like
at least he can do it! Aren't these sudden development things weird? I
swear, the babbling just happened overnight too. No build-up or
semi-babbling--just one day no babbling, one day yes.

Ooh, I forgot to mention that he is also starting to wave bye bye and
hi! I love it. It isn't always reliable though. (I also *swear* that he
sometimes says "hi" while he's waving.)

--
Em
mama to L-baby, 6.5 months old

Old April 8th 04, 06:46 PM
Cheryl S.

"Em" wrote in message
Ooh, I forgot to mention that he is also starting to
wave bye bye and hi! I love it. It isn't always reliable
though. (I also *swear* that he sometimes says "hi"
while he's waving.)

How cute! I think Julie was about that age when one day DH came home
from work and we both swore we heard her say, "Hi dada!".
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 3, and Jaden, 7 months

Old April 10th 04, 01:19 AM
H Schinske

Em ) wrote:

Aren't these sudden development things weird? I
swear, the babbling just happened overnight too. No build-up or
semi-babbling--just one day no babbling, one day yes.

It happens when they're older, too. My son never drew ANYTHING until one day we
were at some kids' center in an art museum and he drew a little person, a happy
face with legs. Then he drew, again, NOTHING except scribbles (okay, *one* time
he drew two lines and exclaimed that it looked like a bird, which it did, so I
counted that and put it in a scrapbook) for a year or so. One day in preschool
I came in to hear that all the children had been drawing their houses. Okay,
I'm going to see what a lame house my kid draws compared to everyone else's ...
but he had just looked around and copied everyone else's, and his had a door
with a doorknob, a roof, a chimney with smoke, the whole bit. I was in shock.
The teacher hadn't helped him or anything.

--Helen