I am at my wits end. Please help!

Old April 4th 04, 03:46 AM
Carol Ann

Default I am at my wits end. Please help!

Morgan had a good nite. She slept for 2 - 3 hours and I was able to sleep
and then during the day I was able to catch up on my bills.

Now, however, I cannot console her. She keeps showing signs that she wants
to feed, but I know she is full.

I believe she has gas. So, Kevin is working on relieving it.

I fed her hour after hour after hour, yet she still wants to have my breast.

I broke down and gave her a pacifier and believe that she isn't sucking the
breast as hard as she used to. Now what do I do?

I'm confused. I'm frustrated. I'm scared. I need help.

~Carol Ann
Morgan born 3.24.04

Old April 4th 04, 03:51 AM
Carol Ann

I broke down and gave her a pacifier and believe that she isn't sucking
the
breast as hard as she used to. Now what do I do?

I'm confused. I'm frustrated. I'm scared. I need help.

~Carol Ann
Morgan born 3.24.04

Now Kevin also gave her the pacifier which seems to work to keep her quiet.
How much damage are we causing?

~Carol Ann

Old April 4th 04, 04:25 AM
Shannon G

"Carol Ann" wrote in message

Morgan had a good nite. She slept for 2 - 3 hours and I was able to sleep
and then during the day I was able to catch up on my bills.

Now, however, I cannot console her. She keeps showing signs that she

wants
to feed, but I know she is full.

I believe she has gas. So, Kevin is working on relieving it.

I fed her hour after hour after hour, yet she still wants to have my

breast.

I broke down and gave her a pacifier and believe that she isn't sucking

the
breast as hard as she used to. Now what do I do?

I'm confused. I'm frustrated. I'm scared. I need help.

It sounds like she wants to comfort nurse. Let her. She is also helping to
establish a great milk supply. My two babies (now almost 4 y and 16 months)
used to be attached to the breast comfort sucking off and on (but mostly on)
for 2-3 hours every evening at that young age. All, very normal and it will
pass.

The pacifier may be a good idea to give your tender breasts a reprieve but I
wouldn't completely substitute comfort sucking at the breast with a paci.

Shannon

Old April 4th 04, 04:34 AM
Marnie

"Carol Ann" wrote in message news:wGKbc.177907

Now, however, I cannot console her. She keeps showing signs that she

wants
to feed, but I know she is full.

Hang in there, sweetie!

I can't help you with the paci questions, because we never used one. What we
did experience with both my DDs was days of practically round-the-clock
nursing. And I mean constant, to the point where a 30-minute session of not
nursing was considered a huge break by me.

Whether it is comfort or hunger nursing, it's still what the baby wants and
most likely what she needs.

It is perfectly OK to take the baby with you to bed, or grab your favorite
comfy chair and a large water bottle snacks and whatever amuses you ... and
let her nurse all day. Her needs are high right now, your supply is being
established. She'll regulate in time to a more reasonable schedule in time.

That being said, you can also let DH or other willing relative take her for
whatever time you need to get a break. She'll be OK with that and glad to
see you when you are ready for her again.

Take care, drink lots of water, and remember you're doing fine!
--
Marnie

Old April 4th 04, 04:36 AM
Marnie

"Marnie" wrote in message news:anLbc.176608
That being said, you can also let DH or other willing relative take her

LOL at self. It doesn't *have* to be a relative.
--
Marnie

Old April 4th 04, 05:15 AM
DeliciousTruffles

Marnie wrote:

[...]

I have to echo Marnie.

She's also probably hit a growth spurt.

They commonly occur at around 10 days to 3 weeks of age, 6 weeks of age,
3 months of age, and 6 months of age.

This is not the time to supplement or adhere to a strict schedule as
your breasts need the extra stimulation in order to "boost up" your
supply. Simply allow your baby the extra time at the breast that she
needs. In a few days when she has increased your supply, she will return
to her previous nursing pattern.

Signs of a Growth Spurt

* Baby is nursing often or almost nonstop
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to
nurse several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Often Observed After a Growth Spurt

* Baby sleeps extra for a day or two
* Mom is a bit fuller than usual for a day or so
* Baby calms down at the breast
* You may see an increase in wettings with the increased supply baby is
drinking

--
Brigitte aa #2145
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/i/isabellazora/

~ Harriet Martineau

Old April 4th 04, 06:14 AM
A&G&K

"DeliciousTruffles" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Ditto
.... Hang in there as this will pass.
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old April 4th 04, 06:33 AM
Carol Ann

[...]

Thank you everyone. I am feeling much better about the situation. I WILL
allow her more time on the breast if that is what she needs right now.

She IS 10 days old today. This could be her first growth spurt.

Thanks!

~Carol Ann

Old April 4th 04, 09:23 AM
Sidheag McCormack

Also, don't worry if the "growth spurt" doesn't have a clear end. Our DS
seems to have been in a growth spurt for the first 5 months of his life :-)
Some babies just do need to nurse a *lot*.

I had to revise my ideas of getting anything done other than looking after
DS quite dramatically. Even reading is/was tricky ("was" because I needed
both hands to nurse in the beginning, "is" because DS is now distractable
enough to turn round at page turning noise!) I did find, though, that I
could listen to tapes or watch DVDs (with earplugs, and the sound low
enough that I could still hear and talk to him of course) without bothering
DS, which saved me from boredom in long hours of being stuck in a chair. I
second the idea of setting up a "nursing station" which is as comfortable
as possible for you with everything you need to hand. Then try to see the
luxury side of being able to just sit there and get to know your baby!

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

Old April 4th 04, 05:41 PM
nina

Try bicycling her legs, rubbing her tummy. Holding her over your shoulder so
there is pressure on her abdomen and patting her back.
She may just be VERY hungry because she slept for a good stretch and is too
hungry to really concentrate on eating.