Intro

Old April 6th 04, 06:22 PM
Auntie Bubbles

Default Intro

Hello all;

I am in the April class, graduating from MKP to MKB in the next few weeks.
My name is Alexis, I am 39 and expecting my first child (gender as yet
unknown) around 4/21/04.
I have NO experience with breastfeeding, even when I was a live-in nanny
the kids were all formula fed. I've hardly even seen it done.
I have not been working since December due to a pregnancy induced disability
(carpal tunnel syndrome) and have plenty of time to read and research. I
have learned that I want to breastfeed, in fact, I practically ache to have
this relationship with my baby. I don't expect to have the practical
mechanics down until I can actually do it myself, but I have a good basic
idea of what to do and why.
MKP has been an invaluable resource for me to learn about real-life issues
with pregnancy and childbirth, and I'm looking forward to learning from all
of you in the coming months about this next phase!
Cheers,
Alexis
EDD 4/21/04
Beanie #1

Old April 6th 04, 11:42 PM
A&G&K

"Auntie Bubbles" wrote in message
[...]

Welcome Alexis (waves from mkp)
Congratulations on making a great decision for both yourself and your baby.
I have found this group to be a fountain of knowledge on breastfeeding and
other child-related issues. In fact I think the support from this group
(even though its an information group) helped me to surpass my original goal
of bf for 1 year .... and we'd still be going strong now if my milk hadn't
turned to colostrum with this pg.

Learn what you can beforehand, and remember that many people find bf
difficult at first, but for most it gets easier as time goes on. I
personally found it difficult for a day or two when my milk came in, but it
was pretty much plain sailing since then. I'm looking forward to bf my
next bub and hopefully DD will decide to start bf again once the proper
mummy-milk is back

The Australian Breastfeeding Association's website (
http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/ ) is an online place you might like to
check out.

Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old April 7th 04, 12:34 AM
DeliciousTruffles

Auntie Bubbles wrote:

[...]

Hiya! :-)

--
Brigitte aa #2145
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/i/isabellazora/

~ Harriet Martineau

Old April 7th 04, 04:29 AM
Irene

"Auntie Bubbles" wrote in message ...
Hello all;

I am in the April class, graduating from MKP to MKB in the next few weeks.
My name is Alexis, I am 39 and expecting my first child (gender as yet
unknown) around 4/21/04.

As another member of the mkp April class, I bid you welcome! (Umm,
also mkb from July 2001 - ds only weaned when I was about 5 months pg,
so I never really left!)

Be seeing you around...

Irene
mom to Thomas 7/01
& Marcus or Gwendolyn EDD 4/10/04
Old April 7th 04, 01:35 PM
Chookie

Welcome, Alexis!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet
Old April 7th 04, 03:52 PM
Nikki

Auntie Bubbles wrote:
Hello all;

I am in the April class, graduating from MKP to MKB in the next few
weeks. My name is Alexis, I am 39 and expecting my first child
(gender as yet unknown) around 4/21/04.

Welcome Alexis :-)

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old April 7th 04, 04:21 PM
Auntie Bubbles

Thanks for the warm welcomes, everybody!!
Cheers
Alexis

Old April 7th 04, 05:47 PM
Irrational Number

Auntie Bubbles wrote:

I am in the April class, graduating from MKP to MKB in the next few weeks.
My name is Alexis, I am 39 and expecting my first child (gender as yet
unknown) around 4/21/04.
I have NO experience with breastfeeding, even when I was a live-in nanny
the kids were all formula fed. I've hardly even seen it done.

Hi Alexis! Welcome to the group!

I hope you will find breastfeeding to be a
great part of having your baby! My one
piece of advice is to "go with the flow".
Post questions when you have them; there
are lots of good, experienced BF moms here.
Other than that, don't think too much about
it. Don't feel like you _must_ be "prepared"
and understand all the mechanics and know
how to deal with every contingency
beforehand.

I didn't know much at all, except for reading
one book, "The Nursing Mother's Companion",
and even then, not much of it made sense
initially. All I knew was that I wanted to BF
and I would not give up easily. It's just stupid,
blind stubbornness, plus a great LC at the
hospital and a fabulous BF-supporting
pediatrician. And, of course, this newsgroup
that explained to me EVERYTHING that was
normal that none of the books, websites, or
doctors could do.

It's kind of like the pregnancy books.. They
say "your breasts may feel tender", when in
real life, they hurt like heck. So, the books
will say, your baby will nurse frequently,
at least blah times a day. Translate that to
mean, your baby will nurse CONSTANTLY
all day and you will have no way to get
anything done in that first month, so don't
even try.

When they say, nap when your baby naps,
well, do it if you feel like it, but I always
wanted to do _something_ real (file some
mail, stack some magazines, whatever).

So, again, welcome. We look forward to
seeing you around.

-- Anita --

Old April 9th 04, 10:39 PM
Carol Ann

I am in the April class, graduating from MKP to MKB in the next few weeks.
My name is Alexis, I am 39 and expecting my first child (gender as yet
unknown) around 4/21/04.
I have NO experience with breastfeeding

snip

Hi, Alexis!

Glad to see you! I'm two weeks into motherhood myself (as you may know).
It is great here! You will learn just about everything you need in
reference to not only breastfeeding, but also how to live with your newborn!

~Carol Ann

Intro was bedwetting questions 10yo boy Leandra General (moderated) 0 January 23rd 04 02:17 PM
Intro & thanks Deirdre Pregnancy 12 December 5th 03 07:42 PM
Help! newborn screaming, plus intro Sidheag McCormack Pregnancy 32 November 2nd 03 09:47 PM
Another Intro & Questions Lissie Breastfeeding 8 October 15th 03 03:42 PM
official intro A&G&K Pregnancy 16 October 14th 03 01:04 AM