OT Developmental Questions

Old April 7th 04, 12:33 AM
Cheryl S.

Default OT Developmental Questions

"toypup" wrote in message
news:nkEcc.84526$K91.184362@attbi_s02...
When talking with other moms, my child always seemed
behind. Either the women were exaggerating or they
were only emphasizing the positives. No one
wants to brag about how late their child did whatever.

Exactly. Each mom talks about the one thing their kid did early, so
it's easy to come away with an overall impression of this imaginary
"conglomerate" baby who rolled at 6 weeks, sat up at 2 months, and was
walking, talking in complete sentences, had a full set of teeth, and was
feeding and dressing herself by 9 months old. So, yeah, compared to
that, anyone would start to wonder what's wrong with her baby. lol.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 3, and Jaden, 7 months

Old April 7th 04, 12:45 AM
Cheryl S.

"Kathy" wrote in message
She can not sit up on her own, and when I do sit her up she is quite
wobbly. Sometimes she can stay up for a few seconds if I balance her
just so. When were you're children able to sit on their own?

That sounds right on average to me. Jaden is still like that and turned
7 months 3 days ago.

When were your children able to
roll both ways (if ever)?

Julie didn't roll front to back until almost six months old. Can't
remember back to front. Jaden is rolling both ways. He rolled front to
back just after turning four months; back to front he did for the first
time the day I went to visit my IL's, so, umm, not-quite-six months.

She makes growling, cooing, coughing and screeching
noises among others...but no repetition of one syllable
worlds like mamamamamama or dadadadadada. When
were your children able to do this?

Jaden blew raspberries constantly a couple weeks ago. Now he has just
started saying mamamama very distinctly in the last few days.

It seems like she has been teething for months, but no teeth showing
yet. When did your children get their first teeth?

Both kids - at 6 months.

Thanks for any input. I usually don't worry about what other's
say their children can do, but DH works with several women
with young grandchildren/neices, etc...and they're always
comparing notes. Most of them are able to sit, have first teeth,
etc etc.

If your DH is like mine he reports the earliest any kid did anything as
some kind of "benchmark". Especially if the children are other people's
*grandchildren*, I view the data with suspicion. I know I get
somewhat different stories on how accomplished my niece is, from my MIL
vs my SIL (her mom). I think you have nothing to worry about.

Old April 7th 04, 01:14 AM
Em

"Kathy" wrote in message
snip
She can not sit up on her own, and when I do sit her up she is quite
wobbly. Sometimes she can stay up for a few seconds if I balance her
just so. When were you're children able to sit on their own?

DS started sitting unsupported at 6 months minus 1 week. It was a very
sudden development. Two weeks before his 6 month birthday, he was
sitting propped with pillows, sometimes managing a few seconds
unsupported before toppling, etc. Then, a week later he could suddenly
sit up alone quite compentently. So, just because she is wobbling now,
doesn't mean she'll be wobbling next week!

She can roll from front to back (sometimes she will do it 2-3 times in

row)...but most of the time she just gets aggrivated and cries. She
can't go from back to front at all. When were your children able to
roll both ways (if ever)?

DS can go from back to front very compentently, but almost *never* rolls
from back to front. I've seen him do it only a handful of times. He is
6.5 months old presently. He could roll back to front at about 3.5
months and, as I said, is still very unskilled at front to back.

She makes growling, cooing, coughing and screeching noises among
others...but no repetition of one syllable worlds like mamamamamama or
dadadadadada. When were your children able to do this?

DS *just* this past weekend started babbling "dadadadada" and a few
other sounds like that. Again, very sudden. Last week, he didn't do
anything like that. Then, on Friday, he started doing it. He has made a
lot of developmental changes in a very short amount of time--starting
using a pincher grip, started clasping hands together, sitting, etc. I
hypothesize this has to do with some kind of growth spurt--he was
nursing what felt like a hugely excessive amount for about an entire
month (I'm talking like every 1.5 hours at night! Ouch).

It seems like she has been teething for months, but no teeth showing
yet. When did your children get their first teeth?

DS is toothless at 6.5 months. He seems sort of teeth-y and has for the
past 3 months or so, but no teeth in sight.

Thanks for any input. I usually don't worry about what other's say
their children can do, but DH works with several women with young
grandchildren/neices, etc...and they're always comparing notes. Most

of
them are able to sit, have first teeth, etc etc.

Babies are incredibly variable and also change very quickly. One of the
babies in my playgroup can't roll from front to back yet and he is 8
months old. OTOH, one of the babies in my LLL group was walking at 8.5
months. I'm inclined to say that your DD is doing just fine, just maybe
on the slightly later side of, "somewhere around 6 months babies
start....." I would trust your instincts though and if your gut starts
to say that something is not right, talk to your pediatrician about it.

My DS shows no ability to push himself up with his arms while lying on
his stomach, which is something that it seems like other babies can do
at this point. I'd like to add that to your developmental poll, since
that is something I've wondered about wrt to DS.

When were your children able to push up on their arms while lying on
their stomachs?

--
Em
mama to L-baby, 6 months old.

Old April 7th 04, 01:22 AM
nina

"Em" wrote in message
"Kathy" wrote in message
snip
She can not sit up on her own, and when I do sit her up she is quite
wobbly. Sometimes she can stay up for a few seconds if I balance her
just so. When were you're children able to sit on their own?

DS started sitting unsupported at 6 months minus 1 week. It was a very
sudden development. Two weeks before his 6 month birthday, he was
sitting propped with pillows, sometimes managing a few seconds
unsupported before toppling, etc. Then, a week later he could suddenly
sit up alone quite compentently. So, just because she is wobbling now,
doesn't mean she'll be wobbling next week!

my daughter started cruising at 10 months, i figured we had another month or
so before she stood and then walked
3 days later she was in the middle of the floor and slowly stood up
the next day she stood,then walked

DS *just* this past weekend started babbling "dadadadada" and a few
other sounds like that. Again, very sudden. Last week, he didn't do
anything like that. Then, on Friday, he started doing it. He has made a
lot of developmental changes in a very short amount of time--starting
using a pincher grip, started clasping hands together, sitting, etc. I
hypothesize this has to do with some kind of growth spurt--he was
nursing what felt like a hugely excessive amount for about an entire
month (I'm talking like every 1.5 hours at night! Ouch).

mine is doing the same,she scooted last week. i think shes eating and
gearing up to start crawling

Old April 7th 04, 01:46 AM
Cheryl S.

"Em" wrote in message
When were your children able to push up on their
arms while lying on their stomachs?

Jaden is doing this now. It's another one of those "sudden development"
things. One day quite recently I just noticed he was pushing himself
all the way up to having his arms straight. L-baby will probably be
doing this any time now. This week, Jaden is getting very frustrated
when he wants to get a toy that's j-u-s-t out of reach in front of him,
and accidentally pushes himself backward with his arms in an effort to
get himself closer to it!

Old April 7th 04, 04:39 AM
Nikki

Em wrote:

When were your children able to push up on their arms while lying on
their stomachs?

Hmm. I hope I'm remembering correctly but I think Luke was 6 months (he
crawled at 6 months so it was no later then that). Hunter was 8-9 months.
He crawled at 10 months. He worked on it a long time before learning.

Hunter crawled late and was much happier once he learned. Luke crawled
early and he was a happy camper baby the whole first year. He complains
constantly as a toddler though and there appears to be no end in sight :-/

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old April 7th 04, 05:34 AM
Beth

"Kathy" wrote in message
She can not sit up on her own, and when I do sit her up she is quite
wobbly. Sometimes she can stay up for a few seconds if I balance her
just so. When were you're children able to sit on their own?

My son at 5 months.

She can roll from front to back (sometimes she will do it 2-3 times in a
row)...but most of the time she just gets aggrivated and cries. She
can't go from back to front at all. When were your children able to
roll both ways (if ever)?

Jeez, I think 8 months for my son, who was a large, laid-back baby. He only
started walking a week ago--at almost 16 months.

She makes growling, cooing, coughing and screeching noises among
others...but no repetition of one syllable worlds like mamamamamama or
dadadadadada. When were your children able to do this?

My son began to do it at 7 months.

It seems like she has been teething for months, but no teeth showing
yet. When did your children get their first teeth?

This is highly variable--probably more so than any of the other milestones
you mention. My DS got his first two teeth at 5 months, then another 6 at 8
months. Then molars at 14 months and eyeteeth now at 16 months.

I think your DD is a little on the slow side for sitting, but not alarmingly
so. Sounds as if she's doing just fine over-all.

Beth

Old April 7th 04, 10:57 AM
Clisby

Kathy wrote:
I realize that babies develop at their own pace, but I have a few areas
of (minor) concern with my daughter and I was hoping for some input from
others.

DD will be 7 months old in 10 days...

#1 - 4 months. #2 - 6 months.

She makes growling, cooing, coughing and screeching noises among
others...but no repetition of one syllable worlds like mamamamamama or
dadadadadada. When were your children able to do this?

I can't remember, but I don't think it was by 7 months. More like 9.

#1 - 4 months. #2 - 6.5 months.

Thanks for any input. I usually don't worry about what other's say
their children can do, but DH works with several women with young
grandchildren/neices, etc...and they're always comparing notes. Most of
them are able to sit, have first teeth, etc etc.

Thanks in advance,
Kathy

Old April 7th 04, 03:05 PM

(Kathy) wrote in message ...
I realize that babies develop at their own pace, but I have a few areas
of (minor) concern with my daughter and I was hoping for some input from
others.

DD will be 7 months old in 10 days...

DS is 8 months old this weekend.

She can not sit up on her own, and when I do sit her up she is quite
wobbly. Sometimes she can stay up for a few seconds if I balance her
just so. When were you're children able to sit on their own?

DS started sitting up (wobbly) at 5 months and was a sitting pro by 5
1/2 months. My niece (7 months this weekend) is still somewhat wobbly
when she sits.

She can roll from front to back (sometimes she will do it 2-3 times in a
row)...but most of the time she just gets aggrivated and cries. She
can't go from back to front at all. When were your children able to
roll both ways (if ever)?

DS didn't roll until the last month or so and still doesn't roll front
to back very often. For him, rolling came well after sitting. My
pediatrician told me that babies with a wide girth (short and chubby)
take longer because it's hard to get all that chub moving.

She makes growling, cooing, coughing and screeching noises among
others...but no repetition of one syllable worlds like mamamamamama or
dadadadadada. When were your children able to do this?

He just started dadadadadadadada and bababababababa this week. Before
that, he was very vocal but it was all screaming and laughing.

It seems like she has been teething for months, but no teeth showing
yet. When did your children get their first teeth?

He got his first two teeth last week.

Old April 7th 04, 03:43 PM
Karen

(Kathy) wrote in message ...
I realize that babies develop at their own pace, but I have a few areas
of (minor) concern with my daughter and I was hoping for some input from
others.

DD will be 7 months old in 10 days...

She can not sit up on her own, and when I do sit her up she is quite
wobbly. Sometimes she can stay up for a few seconds if I balance her
just so. When were you're children able to sit on their own?

I have 6 children so I'll just give you earliest and latest.

Sitting: 5 1/2 months-8 months

She can roll from front to back (sometimes she will do it 2-3 times in a
row)...but most of the time she just gets aggrivated and cries. She
can't go from back to front at all. When were your children able to
roll both ways (if ever)?

'5 months-8months

She makes growling, cooing, coughing and screeching noises among
others...but no repetition of one syllable worlds like mamamamamama or
dadadadadada. When were your children able to do this?

All of them but one were well after 6 months.

It seems like she has been teething for months, but no teeth showing
yet. When did your children get their first teeth?

4 months-7 1/2 months

My one son went from not sitting up by himself or much of anything to
sitting up, crawling, and pulling to stand on furniture in 4 weeks
(from 7-8months) and walked at 9 1/2.

I never rolled over much at all. I didn't crawl either. I sat like a
little soldier in the middle of the room and then decided to get up
and walk at 10 months.

My current baby is a munchkin at 15 1/2 lbs and almost 7 months. He
rolls both ways, crawls and gets up on his knees next to furniture. He
doesn't eat much in the way of solids, has no teeth, and has no
consonants in his babble.

There are so many variations within normal.
Don't worry.

Karen