OT - when do they understand 'No'?

Old April 11th 04, 05:29 PM
nina

Default OT - when do they understand 'No'?

"The Watsons" wrote in message

"nina" wrote in message
Around age 20.

who told you that? ;p

My mom. She also said parenting gets easier when the kids are 34. I'm 33.

Old April 11th 04, 05:53 PM
Cat

"nina" wrote in message
Around age 20.

who told you that? ;p

My mom. She also said parenting gets easier when the kids are 34. I'm 33.

Mine used to say: You don't get any use out of them before the age of 22.

I started knitting sweaters for her at that age :-)

I'm 45 now.

Tine, Denmark

Old April 11th 04, 06:29 PM
Anne Rogers

Or should it be when do they stop doing whatever they are not supposed
to do when you say 'No'?

I am consistent about my 'No's'. Nn slapping the cat, no pulling
cables and putting them in your mouth, no playing with plugs but he
takes very little notice of me.

understand and remember for next time are two different things, but I
think Nathanael understands no, we always reinforce it by moving his hand
away from whatever he's touching. Sometimes I am convinced he knows he
isn't suppose to do something (in particular grabbing my nipples in the
bath), but he giggles and does it!
Old April 11th 04, 06:31 PM
Anne Rogers

I would say around two years :-D

I don't have a 2 year old, but I sometimes help in a creche, birth to 18
months, those that are walking generally seem to understand no, which is
usually only to stop them standing on a smaller child!
Old April 11th 04, 07:04 PM
teapot

"Cat" wrote in message .dk...
"teapot" skrev i en meddelelse
om...
"Cat" wrote in message

.dk...
"teapot" skrev i en meddelelse
om...
Or should it be when do they stop doing whatever they are not supposed
to do when you say 'No'?

I am consistent about my 'No's'. Nn slapping the cat, no pulling
cables and putting them in your mouth, no playing with plugs but he
takes very little notice of me.

Teapot and the Moo boy 10mths old

...and if you say 'don't slap the cat' he hears 'slap the cat'. Try to

say
'be nice to the cat' in stead.

Tine, Denmark

Ahh, it's like training a dog then! I do say 'gently with the cat' but
it is usually quickly followed by a 'No' as he just goes for her. She
is a rescue cat and scratches him but he thinks she is a fabulous toy.

Yup! Try 'gentle, gentle, gentle'. Nothing to confuse the message :-)

But I think he's to young.

Tine, Denmark

but you can't say 'gently' with a cable or a plug socket can you?

teapot
Old April 11th 04, 07:12 PM
The Watsons

"nina" wrote in message
My mom. She also said parenting gets easier when the kids are 34. I'm 33.

remember to ask her next year if it's gotten easier...

Jess

Old April 11th 04, 07:51 PM
Cheryl S.

"teapot" wrote in message
om...
Or should it be when do they stop doing whatever they
are not supposed to do when you say 'No'?

I am consistent about my 'No's'. Nn slapping the cat, no
pulling cables and putting them in your mouth, no playing
with plugs but he takes very little notice of me.

Teapot and the Moo boy 10mths old

I've always phrased things in the positive rather than the negative,
i.e., instead of "no slapping the cat" I would have told Julie, "be
gentle to the cat". Telling them what *to* do, instead of or at least
in addition to what to *not do*, is much more meaningful IMO. I
actually almost never said the word "no", and Julie started using that
word herself looooong after all her age-mates.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 3, and Jaden, 7 months

Old April 11th 04, 07:55 PM
Cheryl S.

"teapot" wrote in message
om...
but you can't say 'gently' with a cable or a plug socket can you?

You can avoid saying 'no' with nearly everything, though it takes some
imagination sometimes. For things like a cable or socket you can say,
"hands away" or "stay back".

Old April 11th 04, 07:57 PM
nina

"nina" wrote in message
My mom. She also said parenting gets easier when the kids are 34. I'm

33.

remember to ask her next year if it's gotten easier...

Jess

It will move up, it always does.

Old April 11th 04, 07:57 PM
Cat

"Cat" wrote in message news:qtcec.141165 Yup! Try 'gentle,

gentle, gentle'. Nothing to confuse the message :-)

But I think he's to young.

Tine, Denmark

but you can't say 'gently' with a cable or a plug socket can you?

teapot

*g* - you can, but it won't work :-D

At that age we distracted and moved the child and tightmarked it (can you
use that term in English?)

I guess we secured the cables and tried to put baby plugs in the spare
sockets etc.

Tine, Denmark