Poll: Birth Control

Old December 31st 05, 11:06 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Birth Control

Amy wrote:
Carol Ann wrote:

Until I shed the 40lbs I have gained, I doubt sex will be an issue for me.

My husband is tall, dark, and handsome, a black belt in jujitsu, a
former Eagle Scout, a rocket scientist (seriously), and the most moral,
honest, kind, wonderful person I know. He's the sort who can't live in
a big city because we'd go broke taking all of the beggars out for
lunch all the time (he has done this more than once - he doesn't just
hand them a buck, he takes them to the nearest restaurant and buys them
food). He is the most gentle, sweet, wonderful person. My best friend
says that he's an alien, because no man could possibly be so handsome,
smart, kind, and good all in one package. And he's great in bed.

And when I married him, I was 5 foot 4 and weighed 200 pounds. I've
had a baby since - and I haven't gotten any taller. I'll let you do
the math.

It's all about the inside honey. Those 40 pounds are only a problem if
you believe that they are.

Amy, you just made me feel REALLY good. We are similar in size - I'm a
little thinner, perhaps 15 pounds. I've been feeling really fat lately.
And my husband still seems to desire me just fine. Gotta remember
that.

Cathy Weeks

Old January 2nd 06, 03:33 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Hillary Israeli ) writes:
In ,
Catherine Woodgold wrote:
*My understanding is that all IUD's involve something that can be
*called infection. The uterus is normally free of bacteria, but
*there is a zone around an IUD which contains bacteria. The zone
*can vary in size and shape and type of tissue penetrated.

Can you please provide me some sort of medical reference for this? Some
sites which suggest that your statement is incorrect:

Sorry, I don't have medical references, and the information
may be old and based on multifilament tail IUD's.
The quote you gave didn't seem to state clearly what
percentage of IUD's are free of bacteria (or even that
it's more than half) -- it seems to imply it but
I'm not sure they're actually saying that.

On a different subtopic: here are my personal beliefs.
A person, even if married, is not under any obligation to
participate in a mutual decision about one's own body.
When entering a discussion or negotiation, it's always
generous, and often wise and productive, to enter it
with an open mind; but it's always acceptable, and often
wise and useful, to enter it having already made decisions
about some things one has a right to decide individually.
Old January 2nd 06, 03:35 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Hillary Israeli ) writes:
Assuming you're not talking about ectopic pregnancy (the risk of which is
increased with IUD) or miscarriage secondary to an attempt to continue the
pregnancy with the IUD in place or secondary to the IUD being removed....
what complications for the baby are you talking about?? I can't think of
any complication I would call a horrible complication *for the baby* other
than never getting to be born...

I wish you hadn't asked. I'm talking about a baby born with
an IUD enclosed in some part of the baby's body. I read about
at least one case of this happening. I have no idea how common it is.
Old January 2nd 06, 06:04 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Carol Ann wrote:

[...]

I hear that all the time. I will certainly work on it. But, still, 40lbs
is way too much for me to carry AND I have only 3 pair of pants that fit.

~Carol Ann

Old January 2nd 06, 10:41 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Catherine Woodgold wrote:

Hillary Israeli ) writes:

Assuming you're not talking about ectopic pregnancy (the risk of which is
increased with IUD) or miscarriage secondary to an attempt to continue the
pregnancy with the IUD in place or secondary to the IUD being removed....
what complications for the baby are you talking about?? I can't think of
any complication I would call a horrible complication *for the baby* other
than never getting to be born...

I wish you hadn't asked. I'm talking about a baby born with
an IUD enclosed in some part of the baby's body. I read about
at least one case of this happening. I have no idea how common it is.

Was this reliably documented? Because, on the face of it, it sounds
impossible. I immediately went over to check snopes.com, in case it had
turned up there (it hadn't.)

Clisby
Old January 3rd 06, 01:18 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Clisby ) writes:
I wish you hadn't asked. I'm talking about a baby born with
an IUD enclosed in some part of the baby's body. I read about
at least one case of this happening. I have no idea how common it is.

Was this reliably documented? Because, on the face of it, it sounds
impossible. I immediately went over to check snopes.com, in case it had
turned up there (it hadn't.)

I don't know. I think I read about it in the book "Sex and Destiny"
which I read many years ago. Why does it sound impossible to you?
Old January 3rd 06, 02:09 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Catherine Woodgold wrote:

Clisby ) writes:

I wish you hadn't asked. I'm talking about a baby born with
an IUD enclosed in some part of the baby's body. I read about
at least one case of this happening. I have no idea how common it is.

Was this reliably documented? Because, on the face of it, it sounds
impossible. I immediately went over to check snopes.com, in case it had
turned up there (it hadn't.)

I don't know. I think I read about it in the book "Sex and Destiny"
which I read many years ago. Why does it sound impossible to you?

I was under the impression that the amniotic sac was pretty tough - how
would an IUD breach the sac and then become embedded in the baby's body
without causing a miscarriage? And if you mean the IUD became embedded
in the baby during the birth process - again, how? If the IUD were that
sharp, I'd expect it to be embedded in the uterus, causing other havoc.
It's like hearing that somebody put a baby down in a playpen and a
tinkertoy became embedded in the baby's body. Not something I'd believe
without evidence.

Clisby

Old January 3rd 06, 04:48 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Clisby" wrote in message
nk.net...
Catherine Woodgold wrote:
Clisby ) writes:
[...]

I'm 99.9% sure this is an urban myth. From
http://www.doh.gov.ph/ligtasbuntis/myths.htm:

"Misconception: A woman who was wearing an IUD became pregnant. The IUD
became imbedded on the baby's forehead.

Fact: The baby is very well protected by amniotic fluid and the amniotic sac
inside the mother's womb. If a woman gets pregnant while wearing an IUD,
the doctor will decide whether to remove the device or not. If the doctor
decides to leave the IUD in place, the client should have a regular
pre-natal check-up. The IUD is usually expelled with the placenta or with
the baby at birth."

I don't see how it is possible AT ALL for the IUD to become embedded in the
fetus' body. When the embryo emplants, it is much, much smaller than the
IUD. The amniotic sac is formed roughly at the same time the embryo
implants, at which point, it would be far too small to envelop the IUD.
--
Be well, Barbara

Old January 3rd 06, 11:54 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

*
*I wish you hadn't asked. I'm talking about a baby born with
*an IUD enclosed in some part of the baby's body. I read about
*at least one case of this happening. I have no idea how common it is.

I can't find any reliable documentation for this. I'm not one to say
"never," but if this occurs it must be vanishingly rare. I don't believe
it to be biologically possible, but I won't say I have never been wrong
before.

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth